Prove or Counterexample problem

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving a party with n ≥ 2 people where each person gives one or more presents to other people at the party. The conversation includes a series of statements and counterexamples discussing whether certain statements are true or false. The final statement, c), is proven to be true by contradiction, with the conclusion that it is not possible for everyone at the party to give more presents than they receive.
FelixHelix
Hi - My first post here and was looking for some help with this problem.
Not sure where to start so hope some pointers would get me going/thinking!

Q:
Suppose that there is a party with n ≥ 2 people and that each person gives presents to one or more people at the party (but no more than one present to any single person). Are the following true or false? Give a proof or a counterexample as appropriate:

a) There are at least two people at the party who receive the same number of presents.
b) There are at least two people at the party who give the same number of presents.
c) It is not possible to have a party where everybody gives more presents than they receive.

Thanks for the advice in advance,

Felix

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey FelixHelix and welcome to the forums.

Usually on these forums we ask that the poster show any work as well as the thought process that they are having. We don't just do questions outright for people, but we will give hints to people and do our best to move people forward when they are stuck.

If you don't have anything worked out on paper (in terms of mathematics) it might help us to tell us what thoughts and ideas you have on trying to show whether a particular question is true or false.

I've spent sometime looking at these and think I can show that statement a) is false, b) is true and c) is true but not sure how to explain. However I'm unsure of the mathematics to show this. Any help would be great.

Here's what I've done:

a) There are at least two people at the party who receive the same number of presents.

A counterexample of this is if 3 guests are at the party P1, P2 & P3. If P1 gives P2 a gift, and P2 gives P1 a gift. When P3 gives P2 a gift then they have 1, 2 & 0 gifts each respectively - Which counters the statement.

b) There are at least two people at the party who give the same number of presents.

There are n guests at the party. The number of gifts given is >= 1 and <= n-1. so at least two guests must give the same number gifts.

c) It is not possible to have a party where everybody gives more presents than they receive.

if I try with a few examples I can never make everyone give more than they receive... Not sure how to explain it though.

Thanks in advance of any advice.

Felix

Felix, have you made any progress?

Only what I wrote in my last post... Any ideas?

Yeah, u can receive between [0,n-1] gifts and give between [1,n-1] gifts. Not sure how to prove the statement though...

c) seems really obvious. If you really want to prove it, you can prove it for arbitrary n, and then use induction on the number of presents given. (what happens to the number of presents given, and received if you add one more present?)

Well it increases by one. But I don't see how you'd use induction as the every guest choses the number of gifts they give upto a limit

I think a better strategy might be by contradiction. Assume the statement is false, and draw out a scenario where every person has given more gifts than they received, and show it to be impossible in the end.

FelixHelix said:
Well it increases by one. But I don't see how you'd use induction as the every guest choses the number of gifts they give upto a limit

If it's true for an unlimited number of presents, It will be true for a limitied number as well. You don't need any of the conditions given to prove that the number of received presents is equal to the number of given presents, so the base case for induction can be no presents given or received.

Related to Prove or Counterexample problem

1. What is a "Prove or Counterexample problem"?

A "Prove or Counterexample problem" is a type of mathematical or scientific problem that requires the solver to either prove a statement to be true or provide a counterexample to show that the statement is false. This type of problem often involves logical reasoning and critical thinking skills.

2. What is the difference between a proof and a counterexample?

A proof is a logical argument or series of steps that demonstrate that a statement is true for all cases. A counterexample, on the other hand, is a specific example that shows a statement to be false. In a "Prove or Counterexample problem," the solver must either provide a proof or a counterexample to demonstrate the validity of the statement.

3. What are some common strategies for solving "Prove or Counterexample problems"?

Some common strategies for solving "Prove or Counterexample problems" include: carefully examining the statement and identifying any patterns or relationships, breaking down the statement into smaller parts, and considering different scenarios or cases to test the validity of the statement. It is also important to use clear and precise language when writing a proof or a counterexample.

4. Can a statement have both a proof and a counterexample?

No, a statement cannot have both a proof and a counterexample. If a statement can be proven to be true for all cases, then there cannot be a counterexample that shows it to be false. Similarly, if a statement has a counterexample, then it cannot be proven to be true for all cases.

5. How can "Prove or Counterexample problems" be applied in real-world situations?

"Prove or Counterexample problems" can be applied in various fields of science and mathematics, such as in computer science, economics, and physics. In these fields, proving the validity of a statement or finding a counterexample can help to better understand and solve real-world problems. For example, in economics, proving a mathematical model can help to predict and analyze market behavior, while finding a counterexample can help to identify flaws in the model.