Prove Polynomial Remainder: -2x+5 When Divided by (x-1)(x-2)

• MHB
  • Thread starter gobindo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the polynomial P(x) leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by (x-1) and a remainder of 3 when divided by (x-2). By using the remainder theorem, it can be determined that the correct linear remainder is -2x+5. Therefore, when divided by (x-1)(x-2) the remainder will be -2x+5.
gobindo
A polynomial P(x) when divided by(x-1) leaves a remainder 1 and when divided by (x-2) leaves a remainder of3. prove that when divided by(x-1(x-2) it leaves a remainder -2x=5.
thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: I'm having trouble with this question:

By the division algorithm, we may state:

\(\displaystyle P(x)=(x-1)(x-2)Q(x)+R(x)\)

We know the remainder must be a linear function (right?), and so we may state:

(1) \(\displaystyle P(x)=(x-1)(x-2)Q(x)+ax+b\)

And from the remainder theorem we know:

\(\displaystyle P(1)=1\)

\(\displaystyle P(2)=3\)

I suspect the problem has been misquoted, since the given remainder is not correct, whether the "=" should be "+" or "-". I am assuming then that the constant remainders have been reversed, and the linear remainder is in fact $-2x+5$. So, we have instead:

\(\displaystyle P(1)=3\)

\(\displaystyle P(2)=1\)

Using the two equations above and (1), we may get a 2 X 2 linear system in the parameters $a$ and $b$, which will have a unique solution. Can you put all of this together?

MarkFL said:
I suspect the problem has been misquoted, since the given remainder is not correct, whether the "=" should be "+" or "-". I am assuming then that the constant remainders have been reversed, and the linear remainder is in fact $-2x+5$.
You are going to win the "most psychic member" award this year... Good call.

-Dan

Here's an alternate approach:

\(\displaystyle \frac{P(x)}{x-2}=Q_2(x)+\frac{1}{x-2}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{P(x)}{x-1}=Q_1(x)+\frac{3}{x-1}\)

Subtract the second equation from the first:

\(\displaystyle P(x)\left(\frac{1}{x-2}-\frac{1}{x-1} \right)=\left(Q_2(x)-Q_1(x) \right)+\left(\frac{1}{x-2}-\frac{3}{x-1} \right)\)

What do you find upon simplification, and using the definition:

\(\displaystyle Q(x)\equiv Q_2(x)-Q_1(x)\) ?

thank you mark for the quick response ,also you guessed it right that it was misquoted as =.well done.
MarkFL said:
By the division algorithm, we may state:

\(\displaystyle P(x)=(x-1)(x-2)Q(x)+R(x)\)

We know the remainder must be a linear function (right?), and so we may state:

(1) \(\displaystyle P(x)=(x-1)(x-2)Q(x)+ax+b\)

And from the remainder theorem we know:

\(\displaystyle P(1)=1\)

\(\displaystyle P(2)=3\)

I suspect the problem has been misquoted, since the given remainder is not correct, whether the "=" should be "+" or "-". I am assuming then that the constant remainders have been reversed, and the linear remainder is in fact $-2x+5$. So, we have instead:

\(\displaystyle P(1)=3\)

\(\displaystyle P(2)=1\)

Using the two equations above and (1), we may get a 2 X 2 linear system in the parameters $a$ and $b$, which will have a unique solution. Can you put all of this together?

FAQ: Prove Polynomial Remainder: -2x+5 When Divided by (x-1)(x-2)

What is a polynomial remainder?

A polynomial remainder is the value that remains after dividing a polynomial by another polynomial. It is the difference between the original polynomial and the product of the quotient and divisor.

What is the purpose of proving a polynomial remainder?

Proving a polynomial remainder ensures that the division was done correctly and helps to verify the solution. It also allows for the identification of patterns and relationships between the divisor and the remainder.

What does the notation -2x+5 represent?

The notation -2x+5 represents a polynomial with a degree of 1, where -2x is the coefficient of the variable x and 5 is the constant term.

What does (x-1)(x-2) represent?

(x-1)(x-2) represents a polynomial of degree 2, also known as a quadratic polynomial. It is the product of two linear polynomials, x-1 and x-2.

How do you prove the polynomial remainder -2x+5 when divided by (x-1)(x-2)?

To prove the polynomial remainder -2x+5 when divided by (x-1)(x-2), you can use either the long division method or the synthetic division method. Both methods involve dividing the polynomial by the linear factors, (x-1) and (x-2), and then finding the remainder. The remainder should be equal to -2x+5 in both cases.