Prove $\prod\limits_{i=1}^{n}\frac{\sin a_i}{a_i}\le(\frac{\sin a}{a})^n$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the symbol $\prod$ stands for the product of a sequence of numbers and is used in this equation to represent the product of all the terms in the sequence $\frac{\sin a_i}{a_i}$ where $i$ ranges from 1 to $n$. The variable $a$ represents the common angle in the equation and is used to simplify the notation and understand the relationship between the terms. Trigonometric functions, specifically $\sin$, are used to relate the lengths of sides in a right triangle to its angles and to highlight the relationship between the terms in the sequence. The inequality $\le$ is used to indicate that the left side of the equation is less than or equal to the right side, as the product of
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $0<a_i<\pi$, $i=1,\,\cdots,\,n$ and let $a=\dfrac{a_1+\cdots+a_n}{n}$. Prove that $\displaystyle \prod_{i=1}^{n} \left(\dfrac{\sin a_i}{a_i}\right)\le \left(\dfrac{\sin a}{a}\right)^n$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let $0<a_i<\pi$, $i=1,\,\cdots,\,n$ and let $a=\dfrac{a_1+\cdots+a_n}{n}$. Prove that $\displaystyle \prod_{i=1}^{n} \left(\dfrac{\sin a_i}{a_i}\right)\le \left(\dfrac{\sin a}{a}\right)^n$.

Since the natural log function is concave on $(0, \infty)$ and the sine function is positive and concave on $(0, \pi)$, the composition $x \mapsto \ln \sin x$ is concave on $(0, \infty)$. Therefore

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i = 1}^n \ln \sin a_i \le \ln \sin a$.

Subtracting $a$ from both sides and using the formula $a = \frac{a_1 + \cdots + a_n}{n}$ results in

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i = 1}^n (\ln \sin a_i - a_i) \le \ln \sin a - a$,

or

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i = 1}^n \ln \frac{\sin a_i}{a_i} \le \ln \frac{\sin a}{a}$.

Multiplying by $n$ and exponentiating yields

$\displaystyle \prod_{i = 1}^n \frac{\sin a_i}{a_i} \le \left(\frac{\sin a}{a}\right)^n$.

Euge said:
Since the natural log function is concave on $(0, \infty)$ and the sine function is positive and concave on $(0, \pi)$, the composition $x \mapsto \ln \sin x$ is concave on $(0, \infty)$. Therefore

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i = 1}^n \ln \sin a_i \le \ln \sin a$.

Subtracting $a$ from both sides and using the formula $a = \frac{a_1 + \cdots + a_n}{n}$ results in

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i = 1}^n (\ln \sin a_i - a_i) \le \ln \sin a - a$,

or

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i = 1}^n \ln \frac{\sin a_i}{a_i} \le \ln \frac{\sin a}{a}$.

Multiplying by $n$ and exponentiating yields

$\displaystyle \prod_{i = 1}^n \frac{\sin a_i}{a_i} \le \left(\frac{\sin a}{a}\right)^n$.

Well done, Euge! And thanks for participating!:)

FAQ: Prove $\prod\limits_{i=1}^{n}\frac{\sin a_i}{a_i}\le(\frac{\sin a}{a})^n$

What does the notation $\prod$ stand for in this equation?

The symbol $\prod$ stands for the product of a sequence of numbers. In this equation, it represents the product of all the terms in the sequence $\frac{\sin a_i}{a_i}$ where $i$ ranges from 1 to $n$.

What is the significance of the variable $a$ in this equation?

The variable $a$ represents the common angle in the equation. It is used to simplify the notation and make it easier to understand the relationship between the terms in the sequence.

What is the purpose of using trigonometric functions, specifically $\sin$, in this equation?

The use of trigonometric functions, specifically $\sin$, is to relate the lengths of the sides of a right triangle to its angles. In this equation, it is used to compare the ratios of $\sin a$ to $a$ and $\sin a_i$ to $a_i$, highlighting the relationship between the terms in the sequence.

Why is the inequality $\le$ used instead of $=$ in this equation?

The inequality $\le$ is used to indicate that the left side of the equation is less than or equal to the right side. This is because in some cases, the product of the sequence $\frac{\sin a_i}{a_i}$ may be equal to $(\frac{\sin a}{a})^n$, but it cannot be greater than it due to the nature of the trigonometric functions.

How can this equation be applied in scientific research or experiments?

This equation can be applied in various scientific research or experiments that involve the use of trigonometric functions. It can be used to analyze and compare ratios of angles and sides in right triangles, or to calculate probabilities in statistical experiments. It can also be used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to model and predict various phenomena.