Prove Quadrilateral Exterior Angles Equal Interior Angles

• Thread starter msimard8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the sum of the exterior angles at opposite vertices of any quadrilateral is equal to the sum of the interior angles at the other two vertices. This can be proven by setting the four interior angles as a, b, c, and d, and using the fact that the sum of interior angles is equal to 360 degrees. By rewriting the equation a + b + c + d = 360 in terms of the exterior angles and solving for a + b, the problem can be solved.
msimard8
Hmmm I seem to be stumped on this question.

Prove that the sum of the exterior angles at opposite verticies of any quadrilateral is equal to the sum of the interior angles at the other two verticies?

I don't really have a start because I can't seem to get my mind wrapped around where to begin.

I know the sum of exterior angles is 360 degrees. And the sum of interior angles in a quadilateral is equal to 360 degrees aswell.

I don't know where to go from there.

Hint or Help please
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the four interior angles be a, b, c, d, as in this picture

You know the sum of the interior angles is 360 degrees. So a + b + c + d = 360

Now you want to know what a + b equals. What does it equal? Can you rewrite that in terms of the exterior angles of c and d? (What exactly are those exterior angles?)

thanks for the help

problem solved

FAQ: Prove Quadrilateral Exterior Angles Equal Interior Angles

What is a quadrilateral?

A quadrilateral is a polygon with four sides and four angles.

What are exterior angles of a quadrilateral?

The exterior angles of a quadrilateral are the angles formed by extending each side of the quadrilateral.

What are interior angles of a quadrilateral?

The interior angles of a quadrilateral are the angles formed inside the quadrilateral by its four sides.

How can you prove that the exterior angles of a quadrilateral are equal to its interior angles?

To prove that the exterior angles of a quadrilateral are equal to its interior angles, we can use the fact that the sum of the exterior angles of any polygon is 360 degrees. Therefore, if we subtract the sum of the interior angles from 360 degrees, we should get the same value as the sum of the exterior angles. If this is the case, then we can say that the exterior angles are equal to the interior angles.

Why is it important to prove that the exterior angles of a quadrilateral are equal to its interior angles?

Proving that the exterior angles of a quadrilateral are equal to its interior angles is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the angles of a quadrilateral. It also helps us solve problems and make calculations involving quadrilaterals. Additionally, this proof is a fundamental concept in geometry and lays the foundation for more complex geometric concepts.