Prove: $(\sin \theta+ i \cos \theta)^8 = \cos 8\theta - i \sin 8\theta$

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation $(\sin \theta+ i \cos \theta)^8 = \cos 8\theta - i \sin 8\theta$ using Euler's formula, the significance of the exponent 8, special cases where the equation may not hold true, its relation to sine and cosine, and its real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.
kaliprasad
Gold Member
MHB
Prove that $(\sin \theta+ i \cos \theta)^8 = \cos 8\theta - i \sin 8\theta$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
kaliprasad said:

Using Euler's formula,

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}(\sin\theta+i\cos\theta)^8&=\left(\cos\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)+i\sin\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)\right)^8 \\
&=\left(e^{\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)i}\right)^8 \\
&=e^{(4\pi-8\theta)i} \\
&=\cos8\theta-i\sin8\theta\end{align*}\)

greg1313 said:
Using Euler's formula,

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}(\sin\theta+i\cos\theta)^8&=\left(\cos\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)+i\sin\left(\dfrac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)\right)^8 \\
&=e^{(4\pi-8\theta)i} \\

nice

greg1313 said:
Using Euler's formula,

&=e^{(4\pi-8\theta)i} \\

above is a good ans
my answer different from above is as below
Using Euler's formula,
$(\sin\theta+i\cos\theta)^8 = i^8(\cos\theta - i \sin \theta)^8$
=$(e^{-i\theta})^8= e^{-i8\theta}$
= $\cos 8\theta - i \sin 8\theta$

kaliprasad said:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left[ \sin{ \left( \theta \right) } + \mathrm{i}\cos{ \left( \theta \right) } \right] ^8 &= \left\{ \mathrm{i}\,\left[ \cos{ \left( \theta \right) } - \mathrm{i }\sin{\left( \theta \right) } \right] \right\} ^8 \\ &= \mathrm{i}^8\,\left[ \cos{ \left( \theta \right) } - \mathrm{i}\sin{ \left( \theta \right) } \right] ^8 \\ &= 1\,\left[ \cos{ \left( \theta \right) } - \mathrm{i}\sin{ \left( \theta \right) } \right] ^8 \\ &= \left[ \cos{ \left( \theta \right) } - \mathrm{i}\sin{\left( \theta \right) } \right] ^8 \\ &= \left[ \cos{ \left( -\theta \right) } + \mathrm{i}\sin{ \left( -\theta \right) } \right] ^8 \\ &= \left( \mathrm{e}^{-\mathrm{i}\,\theta} \right) ^8 \\ &= \mathrm{e}^{ -8\,\mathrm{i}\,\theta } \\ &= \cos{ \left( -8\,\theta \right) } + \mathrm{i}\sin{ \left( -8\,\theta \right) } \\ &= \cos{ \left( 8\,\theta \right) } - \mathrm{i}\sin{ \left( 8\,\theta \right) } \end{align*}$

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Prove: $(\sin \theta+ i \cos \theta)^8 = \cos 8\theta - i \sin 8\theta$

1. How do you prove $(\sin \theta+ i \cos \theta)^8 = \cos 8\theta - i \sin 8\theta$?

To prove this statement, we can use Euler's formula, which states that $e^{i\theta} = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta$. We can then expand the left side of the equation using the binomial theorem and simplify to arrive at the right side of the equation.

2. Can you explain the significance of the exponent 8 in the equation?

The exponent 8 represents the number of times we multiply the complex number $(\sin \theta+ i \cos \theta)$ by itself. This is known as the eighth power or the eighth degree of the complex number.

3. Are there any special cases where the equation does not hold true?

Yes, there are some special cases where this equation may not hold true. For example, if we substitute $\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}$, the equation becomes $(i)^8 = 1$, which is not equal to $i^8 = -1$. However, for all other values of $\theta$, the equation holds true.

4. How is this equation related to the trigonometric functions of sine and cosine?

This equation is derived from the relationship between the exponential function and the trigonometric functions of sine and cosine. By using Euler's formula, we can express sine and cosine in terms of complex numbers and then manipulate them algebraically to arrive at this equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of this equation?

This equation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. For example, it can be used to analyze the amplitude and phase of a complex signal, or to model periodic motion in systems with sinusoidal components.