Prove |sin x|/|x| =< 1 for all x in Real Numbers.

In summary, the mean value theorem states that the mean value of a function f(x) is the value at any point within the interval [a, b] that is closest to the point (a+h, b+h) on the graph of f.
armoredfrog
I was looking for some help on how to start this problem. I know that we must use the Mean-Value Theorem on |sin x| to get an f '(c). But I'm having a difficult time getting an initial start past that. Any hints and tips would be most useful. I also figure that we can let f(x) = |sin x| and g(x) = |x|.

Physics news on Phys.org
armoredfrog said:
I was looking for some help on how to start this problem. I know that we must use the Mean-Value Theorem on |sin x| to get an f '(c). But I'm having a difficult time getting an initial start past that. Any hints and tips would be most useful. I also figure that we can let f(x) = |sin x| and g(x) = |x|.

Hello armoredfrog and welcome to the forums.

The easiest way I see is focus on the interval [-pi/2,pi/2] since anything outside this region (sin(x) is bounded by [-1,1]).

As for the interval [-pi/2,pi/2], you can use the derivative and show that the derivative of the sin(x) term is always less or equal to plus or minus 1. Since the derivative has this bound, then you can show that the function itself will also be bounded.

Also since we deal with absolute value, just split function into parts for < 0 and >= 0.

I also forgot to mention, you have to consider the case x = 0 seperate, but there is already a result that shows this limit to be 1.

Okay, so we wouldn't need to know what the derivative of f and g is, just that they are bounded.

armoredfrog said:
Okay, so we wouldn't need to know what the derivative of f and g is, just that they are bounded.

If you show that the derivative is bounded, then indirectly that shows that the function values in the interval that has the domain bounded also has the function value bounded.

You could use further properties of the derivative to be more specific, but to me it seems pointless since its easy to show the absolute value of the derivative of sin(x) is less than or equal to 1, and from that we're done (since d/dx of x or -x is 1 or -1 respectively, and then take absolute values).

[tex]\frac{\sin(x)}{x}=\frac{\sin(x)-\sin(0)}{x-0}[/tex]

The mean value theorem is given differentiable f and g and real a and b with a<b there exist c such that
[tex]\frac{f'(c x)}{g'(c x)}=\frac{f(b x)-f(a x)}{g(b x)-g(a x)}[/tex]
where a<c<b

FAQ: Prove |sin x|/|x| =< 1 for all x in Real Numbers.

1. What does the equation |sin x|/|x| =< 1 represent?

This equation represents a mathematical statement that states the absolute value of the sine of any real number divided by the absolute value of that number is always less than or equal to 1.

2. Why is it important to prove this for all real numbers?

Proving this statement for all real numbers is important because it shows that the relationship between the absolute value of the sine function and the absolute value of a number is consistent and holds true for all values, not just a specific set.

3. How can this equation be proven?

This equation can be proven using mathematical techniques such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It may also require the use of mathematical properties and identities.

4. What are the implications of this equation being true?

If this equation is true, it means that the absolute value of the sine function cannot exceed the absolute value of the input number, which has important applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

5. Are there any exceptions to this equation?

No, there are no exceptions to this equation. It holds true for all real numbers, including positive and negative numbers, fractions, decimals, and irrational numbers.

Back