Prove that a sequence converges in this topological space iff

In summary: Sure, so the whole sequence is bounded below by the minimum of that min and x-1. Now try the...In summary, the sequence converges if and only if it is bounded below by x-1.
DotKite

Homework Statement

Consider (R,C). Prove that a sequence converges in this topological space iff it is bounded below
define ##C = ## ##\left \{ (a,\infty)|a\in R \right \} \bigcup \left \{ \oslash , R \right \}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not very clear on how to wrap my head around what (R,C) actually means. I know that R is the underlying set and that C is the topology. So does that mean that, in this case, that all open sets in the underlying set, R, are of this form (a,∞)? And does that mean any open ball around a point in R is of that same form? Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
DotKite said:

Homework Statement

Consider (R,C). Prove that a sequence converges in this topological space iff it is bounded below
define ##C = ## ##\left \{ (a,\infty)|a\in R \right \} \bigcup \left \{ \oslash , R \right \}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not very clear on how to wrap my head around what (R,C) actually means. I know that R is the underlying set and that C is the topology. So does that mean that, in this case, that all open sets in the underlying set, R, are of this form (a,∞)? And does that mean any open ball around a point in R is of that same form? Please help

Yes, that's what it means.

OK so if we let ##\left \{ X_n \right \} \rightarrow x##, it follows that for each neighborhood ##V## of x, ##\exists N_0 \in \mathbb{N}## s.t ##X_n \in V## for ##n > N_0##.

Since ##V## is a neighborhood of x it contains an open set, call it ##O## that contains x.

Here I get stuck. Does this mean that ##\left \{ X_n \right \}## is in ##O## for ##n > N_0## and ##O## is bounded below by x?

Last edited:
DotKite said:
OK so if we let ##\left \{ X_n \right \} \rightarrow x##, it follows that for each neighborhood ##V## of x, ##\exists N_0 \in \mathbb{N}## s.t ##X_n \in V## for ##n > N_0##.

Since ##V## is a neighborhood of x it contains an open set, call it ##O## that contains x.

Here I get stuck. Does this mean that ##\left \{ X_n \right \}## is in ##O## for ##n > N_0## and ##O## is bounded below by x?

You are kind of taking it the wrong way, you don't even know ##X_n## has a limit yet. Suppose ##X_n## is bounded below by a number ##B##. What kinds of points do you think might be candidates for the limit? You know what the neighborhoods look like. Try to think in terms of pictures rather than writing a bunch of symbols down first.

arent you suppose to assume a sequence converges for the => direction?

DotKite said:
arent you suppose to assume a sequence converges for the => direction?

Yes, you are. I was thinking of the opposite direction. So ok, what are all the neighborhoods that can contain x?

Dick said:
Yes, you are. I was thinking of the opposite direction. So ok, what are all the neighborhoods that can contain x?
neighborhoods that can contain x,
##(a,\infty)## where a<x?

DotKite said:
neighborhoods that can contain x,
##(a,\infty)## where a<x?

Exactly. So ##(x-1,\infty)## contains all but a finite number of the ##X_n##. Does that show ##X_n## is bounded?

well we are suppose to show that ##X_n## is bounded below. I suppose it would be bounded below by x-1 if it is increasing, and bounded above and below if it is decreasing? The neighborhood going towards infinity is confusing me. I guess if it is decreasing it can't start at infinity it has to start at a point, and it would stay in ##(x-1,\infty)## and be bounded above by x-1

DotKite said:
well we are suppose to show that ##X_n## is bounded below. I suppose it would be bounded below by x-1 if it is increasing, and bounded above and below if it is decreasing? The neighborhood going towards infinity is confusing me. I guess if it is decreasing it can't start at infinity it has to start at a point, and it would stay in ##(x-1,\infty)## and be bounded above by x-1

You are probably over thinking this. There is some N such that ##(x-1,\infty)## contains all ##X_n## with n>N. So those points are all bounded below by x-1. The points you haven't bounded yet is the finite collection ##X_1, X_2, ... X_n##. Are those bounded below (not necessarily by x-1)?

oh i see. So take that finite collection and take the minimum, then that finite collection will be bounded below by that min?

DotKite said:
oh i see. So take that finite collection and take the minimum, then that finite collection will be bounded below by that min?

Sure, so the whole sequence is bounded below by the minimum of that min and x-1. Now try the other direction. It's actually even easier.

Likes 1 person
ok, so we assume that there is a sequence bounded bellow by some number. Call it ##\delta##. Thus ##X_n## > ##\delta## ##\forall n##. Let ε > 0. ##N_\delta## = ##\left ( \delta - ε, \infty \right )## is the set of all neighborhoods of ##\delta##. Notice that ##X_n \in N_\delta## ##\forall n## since ##X_n## > ##\delta - ε## ##\forall n##. Thus ##\left \{ X_n \right \} \rightarrow \delta##,

DotKite said:
ok, so we assume that there is a sequence bounded bellow by some number. Call it ##\delta##. Thus ##X_n## > ##\delta## ##\forall n##. Let ε > 0. ##N_\delta## = ##\left ( \delta - ε, \infty \right )## is the set of all neighborhoods of ##\delta##. Notice that ##X_n \in N_\delta## ##\forall n## since ##X_n## > ##\delta - ε## ##\forall n##. Thus ##\left \{ X_n \right \} \rightarrow \delta##,

You've got the concept fine. Your notation is a little lacking. Having a lower bound δ means ##X_n \ge \delta##. Don't you mean to define ##N_\epsilon=\left ( \delta - ε, \infty \right )##? Try and rewrite that a bit. And what's maybe interesting about this topology is that ##\left \{ X_n \right \} \rightarrow \delta-1## is also true.

Last edited:

FAQ: Prove that a sequence converges in this topological space iff

What is a topological space?

A topological space is a mathematical structure that describes the properties of a set of points. It is defined in terms of open sets, which are subsets of the space that satisfy certain axioms.

What does it mean for a sequence to converge in a topological space?

A sequence converges in a topological space if its terms get closer and closer to a specific point in the space as the sequence progresses. This point is called the limit of the sequence.

What is the definition of convergence in a topological space?

A sequence converges in a topological space if for every open set containing the limit point, there exists a term in the sequence that is also contained in that open set.

What is the role of open sets in proving convergence in a topological space?

Open sets play a crucial role in the definition of convergence in a topological space. They serve as a way to measure the distance between points and determine whether a sequence is converging towards a specific point in the space.

How is the concept of convergence in a topological space related to the concept of continuity?

In a topological space, a sequence converges to a point if and only if the function defined on the space is continuous at that point. This means that the function preserves the structure of the space and does not create any "jumps" or "breaks" between points.