Prove that an element is algebraic over a field extension

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a field extension F|K and the relationship between transcendental and algebraic elements in this extension. It is shown that if v is transcendental over K and algebraic over K(u), then u must also be algebraic over K(v). The proof involves using the fact that K(u,v) is finite over K(u) and that v is transcendental over K. The conclusion is that there exists an isomorphism from K(u) to K(v) that maps u to v, implying that u is algebraic over K(v). However, one objection is raised regarding this implication.
TopCat

Homework Statement

Let F|K be a field extension. If v e F is algebraic over K(u) for some u e F and v is transcendental over K, then u is algebraic over K(v).

Homework Equations

v transcendental over K implies K(v) iso to K(x).
Know also that there exists f e K(u)[x] with f(v) = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Want to show that there exists h e K(v)[x] with h(u) = 0.
I'm trying to find this directly since I don't see a contrapositive proof working out. I feel like I should use v alg|K(u) to get that [itex]K(u)(v) \cong K(u)[x]/(f)[/itex] though I'm not sure how to get to that h in K(v)[x]. Somehow pass to that quotient field and show that u is a root of some remainder polynomial of f?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: K(u,v) is finite over K(u).

Thanks for the help, morphism.

So then I have [K(u,v):K] = [K(u,v):K(v)][K(v):K] = [K(u,v):K(u)][K(u):K] = n[K(u):K]. Since v trans|K, [K(v):K] is inf, and by equality [K(u):K] must be inf. But this means that u is trans|K, so there is an isomorphism from K(u) → K(v) mapping u → v. But this implies u is alg|K(v). Is that right, or did I get off track somewhere?

My only objection is to the sentence "But this implies u is alg|K(v)."

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Related to Prove that an element is algebraic over a field extension

1. What does it mean for an element to be algebraic over a field extension?

An element is algebraic over a field extension if it satisfies a polynomial equation with coefficients in the field extension. In other words, the element can be written as a root of a polynomial with coefficients from the field extension.

2. How can you prove that an element is algebraic over a field extension?

The most common method is to show that the element satisfies a polynomial equation with coefficients in the field extension. This can be done by constructing the polynomial and showing that the element is a root of it.

3. Can an element be algebraic over multiple field extensions?

Yes, an element can be algebraic over multiple field extensions. This means that the element satisfies polynomial equations with coefficients from each of the field extensions.

4. What is the significance of an element being algebraic over a field extension?

It means that the element can be written as a root of a polynomial with coefficients from the field extension. This allows for further mathematical analysis and calculations to be done with the element in the context of the field extension.

5. Is every element in a field algebraic over the field extension?

No, not every element in a field is algebraic over a field extension. For example, in the field of real numbers, the number pi is not algebraic over the field extension of rational numbers. However, some elements in a field may be algebraic over a field extension while others are not.