Prove that dirac matrices have a vanishing trace

Tr}(M_j M_i)In summary, by utilizing the property that the trace of a product of matrices is equal to the trace of the product in any order, it can be shown that the given four Dirac matrices must be traceless. This is demonstrated by using the cyclic trace property to simplify the equation and ultimately arrive at a conclusion that the trace of each individual matrix must be equal to zero.
elduderino
Not a Homework problem, but I think it belongs here.

Homework Statement

Consider four dirac matrices that obey

[tex] M_i M_j + M_j M_i = 2 \delta_{ij} I [/tex]

knowing the property that [tex] Tr ABC = Tr CAB = Tr BCA [/tex] show that the matrices are traceless.

Homework Equations

[tex] Tr MN = Tr NM [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The square of each dirac matrix is a unit matrix according to the definition above. For i,j unequal

[tex]M_i M_j = - M_j M_i [/tex]

Since these matrices are equal their traces should be equal

[tex] Tr M_i M_j = - Tr M_j M_i =- Tr M_i M_j [/tex]

implying [tex] Tr M_i M_j = Tr M_j M_i = 0 [/tex] for [tex] i \neq j [/tex]

So far, I have not been able to prove that each of these dirac matrices individually as a vanishing trace. I tried

[tex] Tr M_i M_j = \sum_k \sum_r (M_i)_{kr}(M_j)_{rk} = 0 [/tex]

but can't conclude anything. This is embarrasing, as this seems pretty basic. Can someone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the cyclic trace property to show that
[tex]\operatorname{Tr}(M_i M_j) = \frac12 \operatorname{Tr}\left( M_i M_j + M_j M_i \right)[/tex]

Related to Prove that dirac matrices have a vanishing trace

1. What are Dirac matrices?

Dirac matrices are a set of four 4x4 matrices named after physicist Paul Dirac. They are used in quantum mechanics and represent the four-dimensional spacetime in which particles exist.

2. Why is it important to prove that Dirac matrices have a vanishing trace?

The trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements. In quantum mechanics, the trace of a matrix represents the expectation value of an observable. Proving that Dirac matrices have a vanishing trace is important because it shows that certain physical quantities, such as the expectation value of angular momentum, will have a value of zero for any state in which the particle is in.

3. How is the proof that Dirac matrices have a vanishing trace derived?

The proof involves using the properties of Dirac matrices, such as their commutation relations, to show that the trace of their product is equal to zero. This is done by using mathematical manipulations and identities, such as the cyclic property of the trace and the fact that the product of two anti-commuting matrices is equal to zero.

4. Does the fact that Dirac matrices have a vanishing trace have any experimental evidence?

Yes, the fact that Dirac matrices have a vanishing trace has been confirmed through numerous experiments in quantum mechanics. For example, the experimentally measured value of the expectation value of angular momentum is found to be zero for particles in certain states, which is consistent with the proof that Dirac matrices have a vanishing trace.

5. Are there any other properties of Dirac matrices that are important to know?

Yes, Dirac matrices have several other important properties, such as their Hermitian and unitary nature, and their relationship to spin and rotation operators in quantum mechanics. They also have applications in other areas of physics, such as in the Dirac equation which describes the behavior of relativistic particles.