Prove that if A and B are sets, then (A - B) U B = A U B

• Thread starter leo255
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if A and B are sets, then (A - B) U B = A U B. The conversation also mentions that there may be some missing steps in the solution. The suggested approach for proving this statement is to show two inclusions: first, that any element in (A - B) U B is also in A U B, and second, that any element in A U B is also in (A - B) U B.
leo255

Homework Statement

Prove that if A and B are sets, then (A - B) U B = A U B

I think I might be missing a few steps here.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(A - B) U B =

1. (A ^ ~B) U B =

2. (A ^ ~B) U (A ^ B) =

3. A U B

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Leo:

I think that whether a step is "missing" or not depends on what your teacher expects.
Hint:
(W ^ X) U (Y ^ Z) = ((W U Y) ^ (X U Y)) U ((W U Z) ^ (X U Z))

Likes leo255
Issue with step 1 to 2: When I'm in ##B##, but not in ##A##, I'm in set (1) but not in set (2).
Issue with step 2 to 3: Set (2) is simply equal to ##A##, which may be smaller than set (3).

I recommend you do not try to "rewrite" the sets, but instead prove two inclusions: First take an arbitrary ##x \in (A - B) \cup B## and argue step by step why it is then in ##A \cup B##. Then take an arbitrary ##x \in A \cup B## and argue why it is in ##(A - B) \cup B##.

Likes leo255

FAQ: Prove that if A and B are sets, then (A - B) U B = A U B

1. What does (A - B) U B represent?

(A - B) U B represents the union of the set difference between A and B and the set B.

2. How can I prove that if A and B are sets, then (A - B) U B = A U B?

To prove this statement, we can use the elements method. We need to show that every element x in (A - B) U B is also in A U B, and vice versa. This can be done by breaking down the expression (A - B) U B into its individual components and using basic set operations to show that they are equivalent.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Sure, let's say A = {1, 2, 3, 4} and B = {3, 4, 5}. Then (A - B) U B = {1, 2, 3, 4} U {3, 4, 5} = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}. Similarly, A U B = {1, 2, 3, 4} U {3, 4, 5} = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}. Therefore, (A - B) U B = A U B, proving the statement.

4. Are there any special cases where this statement does not hold true?

Yes, if A and B are disjoint sets (i.e. they have no common elements), then (A - B) U B will simply be equal to B, while A U B will be the union of A and B. Therefore, in this case, (A - B) U B ≠ A U B.

5. How is this statement useful in mathematics or science?

This statement is useful in set theory, which is a fundamental concept in mathematics and science. It helps us understand the relationships between different sets and allows us to perform operations on sets in a precise and systematic way. It is also a building block for more complex mathematical concepts such as Venn diagrams and Boolean algebra.