Prove that if A is nonsingular then the transpose of A is nonsingular.

• Thread starter seang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transpose
In summary, the conversation highlights the struggles of writing proofs after a long break and the need for assistance. The main focus is on finding the transpose of the product of two matrices and the identity (AB)^T = (B^T)(A^T). The person plans on seeking help from their professor, despite language barriers, and is reminded to check the accuracy of certain identities.
seang
I haven't written a proof in 8 years. Linear Algebra proofs are going to be the death of me. I honestly don't know where to begin. I read a sort of primer on proof writing, but I could use a human walk through or some help.

So far, I have:

there exists a B such that AB = BA = I.

then sometime later:

(A^T)B = B(A^T) = I

Beyond this I have no idea. I'm going to visit my prof tomorrow and see what he has to say. The trouble is, is that his english is fair to poor. A heads up or some honest help would be friendly,
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you take the transpose of the product of two matrices. That is, what is (AB)^t ?

Last edited:
(AB)^T = (B^T)(A^T)

(A^T)^-1 = (A^-1)^T...you can switch the transpose and inverse.

Then (A^T)(A^T)^-1 = ...

Note: You should check those identities, I can't remember if they are correct.

Related to Prove that if A is nonsingular then the transpose of A is nonsingular.

1. What is the definition of a nonsingular matrix?

A nonsingular matrix is a square matrix that has a non-zero determinant, meaning it is invertible and has a unique solution.

2. How do you prove that a matrix is nonsingular?

To prove that a matrix A is nonsingular, you can show that the determinant of A is non-zero. This can be done through various methods such as finding the inverse of A or using the determinant formula.

3. What is the definition of the transpose of a matrix?

The transpose of a matrix A is a new matrix where the rows and columns are interchanged. This means that the first row of A becomes the first column of the transpose, the second row becomes the second column, and so on.

4. How do you prove that the transpose of a nonsingular matrix is also nonsingular?

To prove that the transpose of a nonsingular matrix A is also nonsingular, we can use the property that the determinant of the transpose is equal to the determinant of the original matrix, and since A is nonsingular, its determinant is non-zero, making the determinant of the transpose also non-zero.

5. What is the significance of proving that if A is nonsingular, then the transpose of A is also nonsingular?

Proving this statement is significant because it shows that the invertibility of a matrix is not affected by taking its transpose. This means that if we have a system of equations represented by a nonsingular matrix A, we can also solve it by using the transpose of A without changing the result.