Prove that if x,y, and z are integers and

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem involving an equation that is in the form ##xy=1##. The author is not sure how to demonstrate that the only solutions to the equation are 1 and -1. The author also mentions that if x has a factor p, what does that equation tell you? The author also mentions that if x> 1 then xyz> yz so yz must be less than 1. If x< -1 then xyz< yz so yz must be larger than -1.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Prove that if x,y, and z are integers and xyz=1, then x=y=z=1 or two equal -1 and the other is 1.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly, if I plug in 1 for each variable, or -1 in for two variables and 1 for the remaining variable, then the equation is satisfied. But how do I know these are the only solutions? This is precisely what I am trying to show. How do I sufficiently demonstrate this?

I thought of writing the equation as ##z = \frac{1}{xy}##. But how do I show that, for any choice of integers x and y, besides 1 and -1, z will never be an integer, but a rational number?

Physics news on Phys.org
What prime factors can x have?

I am not sure; I imagine that it would probably be dependent upon certain circumstances, such as the present one, that xyz=1. Is that right?

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
I am not sure; I imagine that it would probably be dependent upon certain circumstances, such as the present one, that xyz=1. Is that right?
If x has a factor p, what does that equation tell you?

That you should be able to divide both sides by p...? I am not certain.

If x> 1 then xyz> yz so yz must be less than 1.
If x< -1 then xyz< yz so yz must be larger than -1.

Of course, none of x, y, or z can be 0.

Would there be a way to show that ##\frac{1}{xy}## is always a rational number, for integers x and y?

HallsofIvy said:
If x> 1 then xyz> yz
That's not exactly right since yz could be negative.
Bashyboy said:
Would there be a way to show that ##\frac{1}{xy}## is always a rational number, for integers x and y?
As long as x and y are nonzero integers, it clearly is by definition. But how is that useful here? Stick with the factors hint. If a*b = c and p is a factor of a, what can you say about p and c?

Well, I was thinking that this would show that there are no other integer solutions, besides the ones we already mentioned.

Bashyboy said:
Well, I was thinking that this would show that there are no other integer solutions, besides the ones we already mentioned.
Proving a number is rational does not mean it is not an integer.

Are not integers those rational numbers whose denominator is one? Well, if x and y are not one, then the denominator of 1/xy would never be one, right?

To make this a little more precise, I would have to show that the only solutions to ##xy = 1## are 1 and -1. Here is my proof

##xy = 1##

##x^2 y = x##

##x^2 y - x = 0##

##x(y-1) = 0##

This implies that x=0 or y-1 = 0. But x cannot be 0, as this would not satisfy the equation. Hence, it must be true that ##y-1 = 0 \implies y=1##. If y=1, then ##x \cdot 1 = 1 \implies x =1##. Notice, however, that I do not get the negative one solution. What is wrong with my proof?

##x^2 y - x \ne x(y-1)##

Ah, yes. I see. So, proving xy=1 is, I imagine, similar to proving that xyz=1. Now, supposing I could prove that xy= 1 implies x=y=1 or x=y=-1, would what I said in this post

Bashyboy said:
Are not integers those rational numbers whose denominator is one? Well, if x and y are not one, then the denominator of 1/xy would never be one, right?

still be valid?

Bashyboy said:
Yes, if you add that step it works, but it is rather a long way round. Do try to answer my question about factors.

Would it be that p is a factor of c?

Bashyboy said:
Would it be that p is a factor of c?
Yes. So if c=1 then...?

p would have to be one.

Bashyboy said:
p would have to be one.
If positive, yes, but it could also be...?

Or negative one.

Bashyboy said:
Or negative one.
Right. Does that give you enough to finish the question?

Okay, allow me to summarize things. If ##xy=1## is true, then this basically states that 1 can be factored into two integers ##x## and ##y##; and if ##x## or ##y## can be factored into integers, these must also be factors off 1.

Couldn't I just stop at the fact that ##xy=1## indicates that 1 can be factored into the product of two integers, list all of the possible factorizations of 1, whereby I will know what ##x## and ##y## can be?

The only objection that I see is, how do I know that the only factorizations of 1, involving only two integers, are ##1 \cdot 1## and ##(-1)(-1)##?

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
Okay, allow me to summarize things. If ##xy=1## is true, then this basically states that 1 can be factored into two integers ##x## and ##y##; and if ##x## or ##y## can be factored into integers, these must also be factors off 1.

Couldn't I just stop at the fact that ##xy=1## indicates that 1 can be factored into the product of two integers, list all of the possible factorizations of 1, whereby I will know what ##x## and ##y## can be?

The only objection that I see is, how do I know that the only factorizations of 1, involving only two integers, are ##1 \cdot 1## and ##(-1)(-1)##?
Think about the magnitudes of xy, x and y. This is the hint Halls gave you in post #6.

Bashyboy said:
I thought of writing the equation as ##z = \frac{1}{xy}##. But how do I show that, for any choice of integers x and y, besides 1 and -1, z will never be an integer, but a rational number?

Integers are rational numbers.

Consider:

(1) The product of two integers is an integer.
(2) There is no integer [itex]n[/itex] such that [itex]0 < n < 1[/itex].
(3) For every real [itex]x[/itex], if [itex]x > 1[/itex] then [itex]0 < 1/x < 1[/itex].

What can you conclude about [itex]1/|xy|[/itex] if [itex]|xy| > 1[/itex]?

pasmith said:
Integers are rational numbers.

In post #11, I used the fact that integers those rational numbers whose denominator is one. Then I determined for what integers ##x## and ##y## was ##xy = 1##, and found that the only solutions were 1 and -1, meaning that, when ##x \ne \pm 1## and ##y \ne \pm 1##, ##\frac{1}{xy}## will never be an integer.

pasmith said:
Consider:

(1) The product of two integers is an integer.
(2) There is no integer nn such that 0<n<10 < n < 1.
(3) For every real xx, if x>1x > 1 then 0<1/x<10 < 1/x < 1.

What can you conclude about 1/|xy|1/|xy| if |xy|>1|xy| > 1?

If ##x## and ##y## both non-zero integers and both are not ##\pm 1##, then ##xy## is some integer and ##|xy|## is the magnitude and is greater than ##1##. By result (3), this means that ##\frac{1}{|xy|}## must be within ##0## and ##1##. Result (2) states that it is impossible for ##\frac{1}{|xy|}## to be an integer, because there are no integers between ##0## and ##1##.

FAQ: Prove that if x,y, and z are integers and

What does it mean for x, y, and z to be integers?

An integer is a whole number that can be positive, negative, or zero. In other words, it is any number that does not have a decimal or fractional part.

What does it mean to prove something in mathematics?

In mathematics, proving something means to demonstrate that it is logically true using a series of logical arguments and mathematical equations. It involves providing evidence and reasoning to support a statement or hypothesis.

What is the importance of proving statements in mathematics?

Proving statements in mathematics is important because it allows us to verify the correctness of a statement or hypothesis. It also helps us to understand the underlying principles and connections between different mathematical concepts.

What is the significance of x, y, and z being integers in this statement?

The statement is specifically referring to the relationship between integers. By assuming that x, y, and z are integers, we are able to make specific mathematical statements and conclusions about their relationships and properties.

Can you provide an example of a proof involving integers?

Sure, here is an example: Prove that the sum of two even integers is always an even integer.

Proof: Let x and y be two even integers. This means that x = 2a and y = 2b, where a and b are integers. Therefore, x + y = 2a + 2b = 2(a + b), which is also an even integer. Therefore, the sum of two even integers is always an even integer.