Prove that liming(a_n + b_n) ≤ liminf a_n + limsup b_n

• Thread starter looserlama
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks to prove that for two bounded sequences {an} and {bn}, their liminf(sum of the sequences) is less than or equal to the sum of their liminfs. The proof uses a contradiction and shows that if t is greater than r + s, there is a contradiction with previous statements about the sequences. This covers all possible values for r and s, including infinity. However, the proof by contradiction may need further clarification or explanation.
looserlama

Homework Statement

Consider two bounded sequences {an} and {bn} and put r = liminf(an)[itex]_{n→\infty}[/itex], s = limsup(bn)[itex]_{n→\infty}[/itex] and t = liminf(an + bn)[itex]_{n→\infty}[/itex]

Show that t ≤ r + s, i.e., that
liminf(an + bn)[itex]_{n→\infty}[/itex] ≤ liminf(an)[itex]_{n→\infty}[/itex] + limsup(bn)[itex]_{n→\infty}[/itex] .

Homework Equations

In the part of the problem before we needed to show that for every ε>0 there are an infinite number of integers n such that an ≤ r + ε and bn ≤ s + ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do a proof by contradiction, so:

Assume that t > r + s

Therefore [itex]\exists[/itex]x s.t. t > x > r + s[itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0 an + bn ≤ t - ε for finitely many terms

Therefore, let ε = t - x

Therefore an + bn ≤ x for finitely many terms.However, from previous problem we know that

[itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0
an ≤ r + ε/2 for infinitely many terms
bn ≤ s + ε/2 for infinitely many terms

Therefore an + bn ≤ r + s + ε

Therefore, let ε = x - r - s

Therefore an + bn ≤ x for infinitely many terms

Therefore there is a contradiction.

So t ≤ r + s.I think that makes sense, but does that cover all possible values for r and s? What if they are ±[itex]\infty[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I am not sure if my proof by contradiction is correct. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

FAQ: Prove that liming(a_n + b_n) ≤ liminf a_n + limsup b_n

1. What does "liming" mean in this context?

"Liming" refers to taking the limit of a sequence, or the value that the sequence approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

2. How do you prove that liming(a_n + b_n) ≤ liminf a_n + limsup b_n?

To prove this statement, we need to use the properties of limits and inequalities. First, we can rewrite the left side as lim(a_n + b_n) = lim(a_n) + lim(b_n) since summing two limits is equal to taking the limit of the sum. Then, we can use the properties of liminf and limsup to rewrite the right side as liminf(a_n) + limsup(b_n). From there, we can use the fact that lim(a_n) ≤ liminf(a_n) and lim(b_n) ≤ limsup(b_n) to show that lim(a_n + b_n) ≤ liminf(a_n) + limsup(b_n).

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Yes, for example, let's consider the sequences a_n = (-1)^n and b_n = 1/n. The liming of a_n is 0 and the limsup of b_n is also 0. Therefore, the left side of the statement is 0. The liminf of a_n is -1 and the limsup of b_n is also 0. Thus, the right side of the statement is -1. Since 0 ≤ -1, the statement holds true.

4. Under what conditions does this statement hold?

This statement holds when the sequences a_n and b_n are convergent. If one or both of the sequences are not convergent, the statement may not hold.

5. How is this statement useful in mathematical analysis?

This statement is useful in mathematical analysis because it helps us understand the behavior of sequences and how their limits relate to each other. It also allows us to make conclusions about the convergence of a sequence by looking at the convergence of its components.

Back