Prove that sqrt(2) is irrational using a specific technique

In summary, to prove that √2 is irrational, we assume for a contradiction that there exist integers a, b with b nonzero such that (a/b)^2=2. We can then assume that a and b are both positive, since the cases where one or both are negative are equivalent. Using this assumption, we complete steps 2 through 5 to reach a contradiction. This problem is from Galois Theory, Third Edition by Ian Stewart.
MissMoneypenny

Homework Statement

Prove that √2 is irrational as follows. Assume for a contradiction that there exist integers a, b with b nonzero such that (a/b)2=2.

1. Show that we may assume a, b>0.
2. Observe that if such an expression exists, then there must be one in which b is as small as possible.
3. Show that [itex]\left(\frac{2b-a}{a-b}\right)^2=2[/itex].
4. Show that 2b-a>0, a-b>0.
5. Show that a-b<b, a contradiction.

This problem is from Galois Theory, Third Edition by Ian Stewart.

My question is how can we show that a, b>0? Assuming that a and b are positive I've completed steps 2. through 5. Now all that I have left to do is show a and b are positive, which seems like it should be the simplest part. Nonetheless, I'm unclear how to do it.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my line of thought so far. I'm not sure if it's correct.

First note that √2>1.
Now consider the possibilities for the signs of a and b. If exactly one of a or b is negative, then a/b<0. But we have (a/b)2=2, which would imply √2=a/b<0, which is false. If both a and b are positive or both a and b are negative then a/b>0, so (a/b)2=2 implies √2=a/b>0, which is true. It is therefore not valid to treat the case in which exactly one of a or b is negative, while it is valid to treat either the case where a, b<0 or when a, b>0 since they are equivalent.

I'm very unsure of what I have written up there. Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
MissMoneypenny said:
Here's my line of thought so far. I'm not sure if it's correct.

First note that √2>1.
Now consider the possibilities for the signs of a and b. If exactly one of a or b is negative, then a/b<0. But we have (a/b)2=2, which would imply √2=a/b<0, which is false. If both a and b are positive or both a and b are negative then a/b>0, so (a/b)2=2 implies √2=a/b>0, which is true. It is therefore not valid to treat the case in which exactly one of a or b is negative, while it is valid to treat either the case where a, b<0 or when a, b>0 since they are equivalent.

I'm very unsure of what I have written up there. Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks!
First, there is no way to prove that a and b are positive. The question is why can you assume a and b are positive. You've done most of the work. All you have to do is say what to do if a, b are both negative.

To amplify Peroks' response- you are not asked to show that a and b must be positive, only that they can be positive.

Thanks for the help PeroK and Hallsoflvy. So to establish that a and b can be positive can I simply comment that if (a/b)2=2, then it is also true that (-a/b)2=2 and that (-a/(-b))2=2, so it doesn't matter whether we consider the case in which a and b are both positive, both negative, or in which one is positive and one is negative since all three cases are equivalent?

MissMoneypenny said:
Thanks for the help PeroK and Hallsoflvy. So to establish that a and b can be positive can I simply comment that if (a/b)2=2, then it is also true that (-a/b)2=2 and that (-a/(-b))2=2, so it doesn't matter whether we consider the case in which a and b are both positive, both negative, or in which one is positive and one is negative since all three cases are equivalent?

That's nearly it, although I still think you may be missing the key point. If there were such integers a' and b', then there would be positive integers a and b with the same property.

If you show that no such positive integers can exist, then no such integers can exist.

In this case, you could take a = |a'| and b = |b'|.

But, it's enough to say that if there are integers with the property a/b = √2, then there are positive integers a/b with this property. That's essentially the point.

Ah, that makes sense! I think I've got it now and can safely work on my solution, but if I run into any more questions I'll make another post. Thanks again for your help!

I just realized that the term you're looking for is wlog, "without loss of generality". A very useful concept!

Related to Prove that sqrt(2) is irrational using a specific technique

1. What is the specific technique used to prove that sqrt(2) is irrational?

The specific technique used to prove that sqrt(2) is irrational is called Proof by Contradiction. This technique involves assuming that the statement is false, and then showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction.

2. Why is it important to prove that sqrt(2) is irrational?

Proving that sqrt(2) is irrational is important because it helps to understand the properties of irrational numbers and their relationship to rational numbers. It also has applications in fields such as number theory and geometry.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in the proof?

The steps involved in the proof are as follows: first, assume that sqrt(2) is rational, meaning it can be expressed as a fraction a/b where a and b are integers that have no common factors. Then, square both sides of the equation to get 2 = a^2/b^2. Next, rearrange the equation to get a^2 = 2b^2. This shows that a^2 is even, which means that a must also be even (since the square of an odd number is always odd). Finally, substitute 2n for a, where n is an integer, and show that this leads to a contradiction since a and b have no common factors.

4. Are there any other techniques to prove that sqrt(2) is irrational?

Yes, there are other techniques such as Proof by Infinite Descent and Proof by Unique Factorization. However, Proof by Contradiction is the most commonly used technique for proving the irrationality of sqrt(2).

5. Can this technique be applied to other irrational numbers?

Yes, this technique can be applied to other irrational numbers. In fact, Proof by Contradiction is a general method that can be used to prove the irrationality of any real number that is not rational.

Back