Prove that the limit as n->infinity of n^n/n! is infinity

sphere1
Homework Statement
Find the limit of (n^n)/n! as n approaches infinity
Relevant Equations
(n^n)/n!
I am self-studying Boas and this is a problem from Ch. 1.2. I have developed what I believe is an answer, but I'm not sure it's adequate. The general approach is to show that for all values of n > 1, n^n grows faster than n!, and therefore that (n^n)/n! approaches infinity as n approaches infinity:
1. n^n = n*n*..., and n! = n*(n-1)*(n-2)
2. n^n - n! = (n-n) + (n - (n-1)) + (n - (n-2)) + ... + (n-1) = 0 + 1 + ... + (n-1)
3. As n -> infinity, n^n - n! also approaches infinity, which implies that (n^n)/n! approaches infinity.

I realize that this problem could be solved by using L'Hôpital's rule, but I do not know how to differentiate a factorial. (I realize that it is possible, but I'm trying to solve this problem using my current toolkit.)

Physics news on Phys.org
This line,
sphere1 said:
Homework Statement: Find the limit of (n^n)/n! as n approaches infinity
Relevant Equations: (n^n)/n!

2. n^n - n! = (n-n) + (n - (n-1)) + (n - (n-2)) + ... + (n-1) = 0 + 1 + ... + (n-1)
is wrong. Check for n=3. The left-hand side is 27-6=21. The right-hand side is 0+1+2=3.

Likes PeroK
Your basic argument fails. For example:

As ##n\to \infty##, we have ##2n -n \to \infty##, yet ##\frac{2n} n \to 2##.

Likes WWGD and Hill
This may be an idea for a proof:
Say n=10.
10^10= 10(10)....(10) ; 10 times.
10!= 10(9)(8)...(5)...1.
10/5 =2.

30/15=2

You can do this doubling indefinitely.
Edit: I'm not giving all details because we're not supposed to do all work for students.

The convergence / divergence of sequences can often be proven by comparing a sequence with another one from which it is known whether it diverges or converges. You want to define divergence, so you need
$$
\displaystyle{\lim_{n \to \infty}\dfrac{n^n}{n!} \geq \lim_{n \to \infty} b_n}
$$
with a divergent series ##(b_n)_{n\in \mathbb{N}}.## What could we chose as ##b_n##? (The simpler the better.)

Back