Prove that the limit constant times a function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the statement that if lim_{x→0} f(x)/x = l and b≠0, then lim_{x→0} f(bx)/x = bl. Some possible approaches include using the properties of limits and substitution, as well as considering the concept of infinitesimals. It is also mentioned that if b=0, then the expression degenerates into lim_{x→0}\frac{f(0)}{x}= 0.
gothloli

Homework Statement

the question is: Prove that if lim[itex]_{x→0}[/itex] f(x)/x = l and b≠0, then lim[itex]_{x→0}[/itex] f(bx)/x = bl

Homework Equations

Hint: write f(bx)/x = b[f(bx)/bx]
properties of limits, delta epsiolon...

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that I can use the property of limits that is lim(x->a) (f*g)(x) = l*m
I can make b one function and f(x)/x another, and hence use the above property. But I honestly don't think that's right, don't know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
gothloli said:

Homework Statement

the question is: Prove that if lim[itex]_{x→0}[/itex] f(x)/x = l and b≠0, then lim[itex]_{x→0}[/itex] f(bx)/x = bl

Homework Equations

Hint: write f(bx)/x = b[f(bx)/bx]
properties of limits, delta epsiolon...

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that I can use the property of limits that is lim(x->a) (f*g)(x) = l*m
I can make b one function and f(x)/x another, and hence use the above property. But I honestly don't think that's right, don't know where to go from here
Where to go from here? ... good question.

Do you suppose you are to do an ε - δ proof, or can you do something with substitution?

I think that would suffice, after all x is an infinitesimal and multiplied by a constant won't change anything. Just like infinitesimal is a number smaller than any given number ε, so it is perfectly okey to have an infinitesimal smaller than [itex]\frac{ε}{b}[/itex] I think...

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Where to go from here? ... good question.

Do you suppose you are to do an ε - δ proof, or can you do something with substitution?

You could use ε - δ proof, but can also use the properties of limits to prove this, like sum of functions is equal to sum of their limits, and product and quotient properties, at least that's what my book says. I don't get the hint given in my book though.

raopeng said:
I think that would suffice, after all x is an infinitesimal and multiplied by a constant won't change anything. Just like infinitesimal is a number smaller than any given number ε, so it is perfectly okey to have an infinitesimal smaller than [itex]\frac{ε}{b}[/itex] I think...

can you explain that further, I'm kind of new to all this, only in first year.

Let u= bx so that x= u/b. Then
[tex]\frac{f(bx)}{x}= \frac{f(u)}{\frac{u}{b}}= \frac{bf(u)}{u}= b\frac{f(u)}{u}[/tex]
and, of course, as x goes to 0, so does u.

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\frac{f(bx)}{x}= \frac{f(u)}{\frac{u}{b}}= \frac{bf(u)}{u}= b\frac{f(u)}{u}[/tex]

I don't get it :cry: also what happens if b=0

If I remember it correctly, an infinitesimal is a quantity that is smaller than any number given, hence here [itex]lim_{x→0} x[/itex] is smaller than an arbitrary |ε|. where ε can be as small as 0.000000000000001 or -0.000000000000000000000001. So as we can see when x is indefinitely small, if multiplied by a constant b, it is still very very small(the quantity won't change much if you multiply 0.0000000000000000001 by 6 for example), so we can redefine [itex]lim_{x→0} x[/itex] as smaller than [itex]|\frac{ε}{b}|[/itex](ε is still any arbitrary value and clearly it is equivalent with the above definition). Or in a less dogmatic sense, we can say [itex]lim_{x→0} x[/itex] is very small(can be regarded as 0) so multiply it with any constant it is still almost zero(0 multiplies with any number still gives 0), and then we can use the substitution to obtain the results as HallsofIvy said.

If b = 0, then for any values of x, f(bx) degrades into f(0).

for example, [itex]lim_{x→0}\frac{sin bx}{x} = b[/itex] for b is not zero. If b is 0, then the whole expression becomes [itex]lim_{x→0}\frac{sin 0}{x} = 0[/itex](because anything multiplies zero only gives zero). You can do a Taylor expansion to verify this I think.

HallsofIvy said:
Okay now I get it, after contemplating for a long time, lol thanks.

raopeng said:
If I remember it correctly, an infinitesimal is a quantity that is smaller than any number given, hence here [itex]lim_{x→0} x[/itex] is smaller than an arbitrary |ε|. where ε can be as small as 0.000000000000001 or -0.000000000000000000000001. So as we can see when x is indefinitely small, if multiplied by a constant b, it is still very very small(the quantity won't change much if you multiply 0.0000000000000000001 by 6 for example), so we can redefine [itex]lim_{x→0} x[/itex] as smaller than [itex]|\frac{ε}{b}|[/itex](ε is still any arbitrary value and clearly it is equivalent with the above definition). Or in a less dogmatic sense, we can say [itex]lim_{x→0} x[/itex] is very small(can be regarded as 0) so multiply it with any constant it is still almost zero(0 multiplies with any number still gives 0), and then we can use the substitution to obtain the results as HallsofIvy said.

If b = 0, then for any values of x, f(bx) degrades into f(0).

Yes and thanks for the help!

gothloli said:
I don't get it :cry: also what happens if b=0
In your first post, you say that b ≠ 0.

Famous saying:
If all else fails, read the instructions.

FAQ: Prove that the limit constant times a function

1. How do you prove that the limit of a constant times a function is equal to the constant times the limit of the function?

The proof for this statement involves using the definition of limit and the properties of limits. First, we can rewrite the limit as the limit of a product: lim (cx) = lim c * lim x. Then, we use the property of a constant multiple, which states that c * lim x = c * L, where L is the limit of x. Therefore, we can substitute lim x with L, resulting in lim (cx) = c * L.

2. Can you provide an example of a limit involving a constant and a function?

One example would be the limit lim (2x2) as x approaches 3. Using the properties of limits, we can rewrite this as 2 * lim (x2) as x approaches 3. Then, we can substitute the limit of x2 as 9, resulting in 2 * 9 = 18.

3. How is the proof for a limit involving a constant and a function different from a regular limit?

The proof for a limit involving a constant and a function follows the same steps as a regular limit, but with the added use of the properties of limits. In a regular limit, we use the definition of limit to show that the limit exists and is equal to a specific value. In a limit involving a constant and a function, we also use the properties of limits to manipulate the expression and show that it is equivalent to the original limit.

4. Are there any specific cases where the limit of a constant times a function does not equal the constant times the limit of the function?

Yes, if the limit of the function does not exist, then the limit of a constant times the function may not be equal to the constant times the limit of the function. This is because the properties of limits only apply when the limit of the function exists. Additionally, if the constant is equal to 0, then the limit of the constant times the function will always be 0, regardless of the limit of the function.

5. Can the limit of a constant times a function be used to find the limit of the function itself?

No, the limit of a constant times a function cannot be used to find the limit of the function itself. The properties of limits only apply when the limit of the function exists, so using the limit of a constant times the function to find the limit of the function would be circular reasoning. Instead, we must use other techniques such as direct substitution or algebraic manipulation to find the limit of the function.