Prove that the set of integers has neither a greatest nor a least element

In summary, to prove that the set of integers has neither a greatest nor a least element, one must divide into two separate propositions or claims and use proof by contradiction. The first proposition is that the set of integers does not have a largest member, while the second proposition is that the set of integers does not have a smallest member. By assuming the existence of a largest or smallest element and arriving at a contradiction, it can be shown that no such elements exist in the set of integers.
snes_nerd
Prove that the set of integers has neither a greatest nor a least element.

I was given a hint: There are 2 different non existence results to prove, so prove them as separate propositions or claims. Divide into cases using the definition of the set of integers.

So I was kind of confused on the hint. The way I was going to solve this was to divide into 2 cases and use induction. One case would involve using induction to prove their is no greatest element and one case would involve using induction to prove their is no least element. Am I even on the right track here? If this is not the way to go then I don't really know how to go about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is two "cases" that are intended but two things you want to prove:
1) That the set of integers does not have a largest member.
2) That the set of integers does not have a smallest member.

I wouldn't use induction- those both "negative" statements- something is NOT true- and proof by contradiction is most natural for such statements.

Suppose the set of integers does has a largest, member, n. What can you say about n+1?

I can say that n+1 is an integer to and n+1 > n. So this would contradict the proposition that n is the greatest element. Is this the right idea?

A lot here depends on what axioms you can accept and on what definitions you make. If you can only accept the Peano axioms, then showing that n<n+1 might not be trivial.

snes_nerd said:
I can say that n+1 is an integer to and n+1 > n. So this would contradict the proposition that n is the greatest element. Is this the right idea?

Yes, that's ok.

Thanks everyone for the help. I didnt realize it was that simple and straightforward. So for proving their is an integer that is not the least element I go about it like this: Suppose there is an integer that has a least element n. Then n-1 is an integer to. But n-1 < n which is a contraction. Thus their is no integer that has a least element n.

snes_nerd said:
Thanks everyone for the help. I didnt realize it was that simple and straightforward. So for proving their is an integer that is not the least element I go about it like this: Suppose there is an integer that has a least element n. Then n-1 is an integer to. But n-1 < n which is a contraction. Thus their is no integer that has a least element n.

Seems ok! :smile:

Related to Prove that the set of integers has neither a greatest nor a least element

What does it mean for a set to have neither a greatest nor a least element?

Having neither a greatest nor a least element means that there is no single element in the set that is larger or smaller than all other elements in the set. In other words, there is no maximum or minimum element in the set.

How can it be proven that the set of integers has neither a greatest nor a least element?

This can be proven by showing that for any element in the set, there is always another element that is larger or smaller. This is true for both positive and negative integers, as well as zero.

Why is it important to prove that the set of integers has neither a greatest nor a least element?

Proving this fact is important in mathematics because it helps establish the properties and limitations of the set of integers. It also helps us better understand the concept of infinity, as there is no upper or lower bound to the set of integers.

Can a set have both a greatest and a least element?

Yes, a set can have both a greatest and a least element. For example, the set {1, 2, 3} has a greatest element of 3 and a least element of 1. However, the set of integers as a whole does not have a greatest or a least element.

What other sets have neither a greatest nor a least element?

Aside from the set of integers, there are other sets that also have neither a greatest nor a least element. These include the set of real numbers, the set of rational numbers, and the set of irrational numbers. These sets also have infinite cardinality and no upper or lower bound.