Prove that the set {X: XA = AX} is a subspace of M 2,2

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the set W = {X: XA = AX} is a subspace of M2,2 by demonstrating non-emptiness, vector addition, and scalar multiplication. The proof for scalar multiplication involves showing that for any scalar c, cX is also in W. This is done by using the fact that XA=AX and multiplying both sides by c, thus showing that cX also satisfies the condition for being in W.
sschmiggles

Homework Statement

A is a 2 x 2 matrix. Prove that the set W = {X: XA = AX} is a subspace of M2,2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already proven non-emptiness and vector addition.

Non-emptiness:

Code:
W must be non-empty because the identity matrix I is an element of W.
IA = AI
A = A

Vector addition:

Code:
Let X, Y be elements of W such that XA = AX, YA = AY. Add the equations together.
(X+Y)A = A(X+Y)
XA+YA = AX+AY

Hence, X+Y is an element of W.

I have no idea what to do with scalar multiplication. This is my current attempt:

Code:
Let X be an element of W, and c be a scalar.
cXA = AcX
(cX)A = A(cX)

I also tried this:

Code:
Let X be an element of W, and c be a scalar.
XA = AX
c(XA) = c(AX)

I don't feel like either of these attempts proves anything.

I don't understand how to prove that cX is actually in W. This doesn't make any sense to me. How do I prove that?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's too trivial.
You have X in W, thus XA=AX, thus cXA=A(cX) meaning cX in W.
Or in other word you've proved it already.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
It's too trivial.
You have X in W, thus XA=AX, thus cXA=A(cX) meaning cX in W.
Or in other word you've proved it already.
But how do I know that there isn't a scalar that would change X in such a way that (cX)A ≠ A(cX)?

Edit: I guess I get what you're saying now, but it still confuses me how I can just say that they're equal with no real evidence.

They are equal cause you have XA=AX, and then you multiply this equation by c.
I said it's trivial.

Remember that your scalar is some number, real/complex or something else.
It's not a vector (in which case multiplication of a matrix with a vector will not yield you a matrix of the same size but a vector, and thus it wouldn't be a vector space.

Yeah, I understand it now. This is the first class I've had to write my own proofs in, so I'm still getting used to it. Thanks again for the help.

Related to Prove that the set {X: XA = AX} is a subspace of M 2,2

1. What is the definition of a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the three properties of closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. How can I prove that a set is a subspace?

In order to prove that a set is a subspace, you must show that it satisfies the three properties of closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. In this case, you would need to show that for any two matrices in the set, their sum is also in the set, any scalar multiple of a matrix in the set is also in the set, and the zero matrix is in the set.

3. What does the notation {X: XA = AX} mean?

The notation {X: XA = AX} represents the set of all matrices X that commute with the matrix A. In other words, XA = AX for every matrix X in the set.

4. Why is it important to prove that this set is a subspace?

Proving that this set is a subspace is important because it allows us to use the properties of a vector space to make deductions and solve problems involving matrices that commute with A. It also helps us understand the structure and properties of the set itself.

5. Can this set be a subspace of any other vector space?

Yes, this set can be a subspace of other vector spaces as long as it satisfies the three properties of a subspace. For example, it could be a subspace of the vector space of all 2x2 matrices with real entries, or the vector space of all 2x2 symmetric matrices.