Prove that three functions form a dual basis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a basis for the dual space ##E^*## of a given vector space ##E##, using the canonical basis ##\{1,t,t^2\}## and a matrix ##F_i(V_j)##. The conversation also mentions the concept of an anti-dual basis and the importance of finding linearly independent polynomials to use as a basis for ##E^*##. The main goal is to solve a linear equation using coordinates to determine if the matrix is regular.
Forco

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[/B]
Z95rV0g.png

The Attempt at a Solution

c2Pb0TP.png

From that point, I don't know what to do. How do I prove linear independence if I have no numerical values? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you made some mistakes with your indices calculating the ##F_i(p)##.
Can you tell what ##E^*## is? Do you know any basis of it?
Edit: However, your matrix ##F_i(V_j) = (\frac{1}{j+1} \cdot m_i^{j+1})_{j,i}## seems to be correct. Is it a transformation of basis, i.e. an isomorphism?

Last edited:
Yeah, probably got confused with the different sub indices and I'm relatively new to latex, so yeah, sorry. But you said the matrix is correct, so...
That is the dual space of E, a basis can be easily constructed from n linearly independent functions, in this case, three.
And is it a transformation matrix from [tex]E \rightarrow E^*[/tex] ?

I've thought it this way. ##E^*## is the vector space of all linear functions ##φ : ℝ^2[t] → ℝ##. The canonical basis of ##E## is ##\{1,t,t^2\}##. So the goal is to write any ##φ∈E^*## as a linear combination of ##F_0,F_1,F_2##, i.e. solve the linear equation ##φ=x_0F_0+x_1F_1+x_2F_2##, i.e. ##φ = (F_i(V_j))_{j,i} \vec{x}##.

In coordinates it is ##φ(1) = φ(1,0,0), φ(t) = φ(0,1,0), φ(t^2) = φ(0,0,1),## and it's a clearer (to me) to write ##F_i(p)=F_i(a_0,a_1,a_2)## instead.
To decide whether the ##F_i## form a basis you will probably need another property given at the beginning. You can either solve the linear equation(s) or find an argument why the matrix is regular.

(For further talk remind me please what is meant by anti-dual basis of ##B^*##. Is it a basis of ##(E^*)^*##?)

Yeah, but how do I go on about solving the system with no numbers? That is my main problem...
Also, why is the matrix being regular relevant? Doesn't that just mean that there is a number [tex]n[/tex] such that the entries of [tex]A^n[/tex] are all positive?
Also, the anti dual basis would be the basis for which [tex]B^*[/tex] is the dual basis. Sorry about the confusing terms, I translated the problem from french.

Last edited:
Alors. You have numbers, mainly the coordinates. Therefore I wrote e.g ##φ(t)=φ(0,1,0)## and ##F_i(p) = F_i(a_0,a_1,a_2)##. This gives you the equation
$$φ(t)=φ(0,1,0)=\sum_{i=0}^{i=3} x_i F_i(0,1,0)= \frac{1}{2} x_0 m_0^2 + \frac{1}{2} x_1 m_1^2 + \frac{1}{2} x_2 m_2^2$$ and similar the other two. You can also prove that your matrix above is regular. The three (fixed), and (pairwise) different ##m_i## are given constants. (Another triple would give you another basis, so you have to do the work in dependence of the ##m_i##.)

Edit: For the anti-dual basis you will have to find three linear independent polynomials ##p_j = ∑ a_i^{(j)}t^i## such that ##F_i(p_j)=F_i(a_0^{(j)},a_1^{(j)},a_2^{(j)})=δ_{ij}##.

Last edited:

Related to Prove that three functions form a dual basis

1. What does it mean for three functions to form a dual basis?

When three functions form a dual basis, it means that they are linearly independent and can be used to create a dual space that is isomorphic to the original space. This allows for a unique representation of elements in the original space.

2. How do you prove that three functions form a dual basis?

The most common method for proving that three functions form a dual basis is by showing that they are linearly independent and span the space. This can be done by using the definition of linear independence and showing that the functions satisfy the properties of a dual basis.

3. What is the purpose of proving that three functions form a dual basis?

Proving that three functions form a dual basis is important because it allows for a unique representation of elements in the original space. This can be useful in solving problems in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics.

4. Can three functions form a dual basis in any space?

No, not all spaces have a dual basis. In order for three functions to form a dual basis, the space must have a finite dimension and the functions must satisfy the properties of a dual basis.

5. What are the properties of a dual basis?

The properties of a dual basis include linear independence, spanning the space, and being dual to the basis of the original space. Additionally, the dual basis functions must be linear functionals, meaning they map elements from the original space to scalars.

Back