Prove that W is a subspace of P_4(t)

• Thread starter bionet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, the problem is asking you to prove that the set W, which consists of polynomials in P4(t) with a0=0, is a subspace of P4(t). To do so, you need to show that W satisfies the three conditions for being a subspace: the zero vector (zero polynomial in this case) is an element of W, the sum of any two elements in W is also in W, and any scalar multiple of an element in W is also in W.
bionet

Homework Statement

Let W = {p(t) ∈ P4(t): p(0)=0 }. Prove that W is a subspace of P4(t)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know three things have to be true in order to be a subspace:
1. zero vector must exist as an element
2. if u and v are elements, u+v must be an element
3. if u is an element cu is an element

I'm a bit confused. I've done some searching on this forum + my textbook, and I haven't seen any questions in this particular format. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with this:

bionet said:
1. zero vector must exist

This is a bit weirdly phrased. The zero vector always exists in the larger space. The issue is that it must be an element of the subspace.

The zero vector is here the zero polynomial. Thus p(x)=0 for all x. Does that p lie in our subspace? What do we need to check for that?

I edited my original post for the first condition. I'm not sure how to check for p(x)=0 to lie in our subspace. I think I may be a bit confused by P_4(x). What does the P_4 mean?

bionet said:
I edited my original post for the first condition. I'm not sure how to check for p(x)=0 to lie in our subspace. I think I may be a bit confused by P_4(x). What does the P_4 mean?

Likely, it is the vector space of polynomial function of degree ≤4.

So examples of things in [itex]P_4[/itex] are

[itex]p(x)=0,~p(x)=x+1,~p(x)=4x^4+2x+1[/itex]

An example of something not in there is

[itex]p(x)=x^6+x^5+1[/itex] (since the degree is 6 and thus not ≤4)

or

[itex]p(x)=\sin(x)[/itex] (since it is not a polynomial)

so P(x)=0 lies in our subspace of P_4 because it is an example element in P4

bionet said:
so P(x)=0 lies in our subspace of P_4 because it is an example element in P4

Not so quick!

P(x) certainly lies in P4, no problem with that.
But now you have a subspace of P4.

That is, you only look at elements of P4 which satisfy p(0)=0.

So, for example

[tex]p(x)=x^2+x[/tex]

lies in P4 AND it satisfies p(0)=02+0=0. So it is in our subspace.

But

[tex]p(x)=x^2+x+1[/tex]

does lie in P4, but it has p(0)=1. So it is not in our subspace.

Alright! I get that. However, what I don't get is the question. I see you listed a few polynomials as examples that satisfy vector 0 being an element of the subspace, but what is the question asking for? There is no polynomial or equation associated with the question.

Ok, for anyone who has come across my problem via search, there are a few things that you need to know.

Span of vectors = subspace

p(t) = a0 + a1t1..+ a4t4

With p(0)=0 a0=0

W={a1t...a4t4
span = { t, t^2, t^3, t^4 }

FAQ: Prove that W is a subspace of P_4(t)

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all of the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. What is P4(t)?

P4(t) is the set of all polynomials of degree 4 or less with variable t. It can be written as P4(t) = {a0 + a1t + a2t2 + a3t3 + a4t4 | ai ∈ ℝ}

3. How do you prove that W is a subspace of P4(t)?

To prove that W is a subspace of P4(t), we need to show that it satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. This can be done by showing that any element in W can be written as a linear combination of other elements in W, and that the result is also in W.

4. Can you give an example of a subspace of P4(t)?

Yes, an example of a subspace of P4(t) is the set of all polynomials of degree 3 or less, denoted as P3(t). This subset satisfies all the properties of a vector space and is a subspace of P4(t).

5. Why is it important to prove that W is a subspace of P4(t)?

Proving that W is a subspace of P4(t) ensures that all the properties of a vector space hold for this subset. This is important because it allows us to perform operations and solve problems within the subset, knowing that the results will still hold true for the larger vector space P4(t).