Prove the minimum is greater than or equal to 8

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minimum
In summary, the conversation revolves around a difficult inequality problem involving positive real numbers. The problem states that if the product of (a+2), (b+2), and (c+2) is equal to 27, then the product of (a^2+1), (b^2+1), and (c^2+1) is at least 8. The person speaking is seeking help and advice from MHB. The conversation also includes a possible solution by setting a=b=c and finding the extremum.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hello MHB!

Let $a,\,b$ and $c$ be positive real such that $(a+2)(b+2)(c+2)=27$. Prove that $(a^2+1)(b^2+1)(c^2+1)\ge 8$.

I've recently encountered the above really hard and good inequality problem that I failed to prove, I've been trying it for days but ALL my attempts proved futile.:mad: I feel completely defeated, and hope to get some useful hints to solve it from MHB...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Hello MHB!
I've recently encountered the above really hard and good inequality problem that I failed to prove, I've been trying it for days but ALL my attempts proved futile.:mad: I feel completely defeated, and hope to get some useful hints to solve it from MHB...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Because of cyclic symmetry we can see that extremum is ar a = b= c
this gives $(a+2)^3 = 27$ or a = 1 so a = b = c = 1

now $(a^2+1)(b^2+1)(c^2 +1) = 8$

taking a = b = 2 we get c = 4.75 and $(a^2+1)(b^2+1)(c^2+1) = 5 * 5 * (4.75^2+1) > 8$ and hence the result

Thanks kaliprasad...that advice does help!:)

Related to Prove the minimum is greater than or equal to 8

1. What does it mean to "prove the minimum is greater than or equal to 8"?

Proving the minimum is greater than or equal to 8 means using mathematical or empirical evidence to demonstrate that the smallest value or number in a given set or experiment is 8 or higher.

2. Why is it important to prove the minimum is greater than or equal to 8?

Proving the minimum is greater than or equal to 8 is important because it can provide assurance and validity to any conclusions or decisions based on the data set. It also ensures that any outliers or extreme values do not significantly affect the overall analysis.

3. How can I prove the minimum is greater than or equal to 8?

To prove the minimum is greater than or equal to 8, one can use various methods such as statistical analysis, mathematical equations, or experimental data. It is important to have a well-designed and controlled experiment or data set to accurately prove the minimum value.

4. Can the minimum ever be less than 8?

No, by definition, the minimum value in a set or experiment is the smallest value. Therefore, it cannot be less than 8 if we are trying to prove that the minimum is greater than or equal to 8.

5. What are some possible implications or applications of proving the minimum is greater than or equal to 8?

Proving the minimum is greater than or equal to 8 can have various implications, depending on the context. For example, it can provide evidence for the effectiveness of a new drug or treatment, the reliability of a manufacturing process, or the accuracy of a measurement tool. It can also help in setting standards or benchmarks for future experiments or data analysis.