Prove this is a closed set/Real Analysis

In summary, you need to find a point in the complement of A which does not intersect the set. From there, you can find the radius of a ball that is centered at that point and does not intersect A.
amanda_ou812

Homework Statement

Prove that {(a1, a2) ∈ R2 : 0 ≤ a1 ≤ 2, 0 ≤ a2 ≤ 4} is a closed set in the Euclidean metric.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I approach this problem? Do I prove there is a closed ball in my set? Or, do I prove there is an open ball in the complement of my set which makes my complement open which makes my set closed? Or, is there a better way to do it using union/intersections of open/closed sets?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture, pick a point in the complement, and from that see how small your open ball centered at that point should be to ensure the open ball stays in the complement. Once you have that, then you have showed every point in the complement is an interior point of the complement, so the complement is open.

So my complement would be (-∞ < a1 < 0) U (2 < a1< ∞); (-∞ < a2< 0 ) U (4 <a2 < ∞)

And I have a ball centered at point x (x is in the complement) with radius r. So this ball is in the complement. What should I make my radius? I have a hard time choosing the radius. And then I chose an arbitrary point in my ball and show that it is in the complement.

Let's set [itex]A = \{(a1,a2) \in \mathbb{R}^2: 0 \leq a1 \leq 2, 0 \leq a2 \leq 4\}[/itex] and consider the case that [itex]x > 2[/itex] and [itex]y > 4[/itex] holds so that [itex](x,y)[/itex] is in the complement of [itex]A[/itex]. Then take [itex]r[/itex] to be the minimum of [itex]a1 - 2[/itex] and [itex]y-4[/itex]. Then the ball of radius [itex]r[/itex] centered at [itex](x,y)[/itex] doesn't intersect [itex]A[/itex] since [itex]a1 - r \geq a1 - (2-a1) = 2[/itex] and [itex]a2 - r \geq a2 - (4-a2) = 4[/itex]. Hence, [itex](x,y)[/itex] in an interior point of the complement of [itex]A[/itex] when [itex]x > 2[/itex] and [itex]y > 4[/itex] hold.

If you divide up the plane [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] like a tic-tac-toe board with your set [itex]A[/itex] in the middle, then you can apply similar arguments for the other cases. Just draw the tic-tac-toe board out and pick a point not in the center block (e.g., in [itex]A[/itex]), and it should be easier to see how to choose [itex]r[/itex]. Of course, you also have to consider the lines making up the grid too (other than the ones forming the boundary of [itex]A[/itex]).

[PLAIN]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1112/drawingx.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Prove this is a closed set/Real Analysis

1. What is a closed set in Real Analysis?

A closed set in Real Analysis is a set of numbers that contains all its limit points. This means that every sequence of numbers in the set converges to a point within the set. In other words, the set includes all of its boundary points.

2. How do you prove that a set is closed in Real Analysis?

To prove that a set is closed in Real Analysis, you can use the definition of a closed set. This involves showing that the set contains all of its limit points. You can also use the complement of the set to prove its closure, by showing that the complement is open.

3. Is every closed set in Real Analysis also a compact set?

Yes, every closed set in Real Analysis is also a compact set. This is because a closed set is defined as a set that contains all its limit points, and a compact set is a set that is closed and bounded. Therefore, every closed set must also be bounded and therefore, compact.

4. Can a subset of a closed set also be closed in Real Analysis?

Yes, a subset of a closed set can also be closed in Real Analysis. This is because the definition of a closed set states that all limit points must be contained within the set, and a subset of a closed set will also contain all the limit points of the original set.

5. What is the importance of proving a set is closed in Real Analysis?

Proving a set is closed in Real Analysis is important because it allows us to determine if a given set is complete or not. A closed set contains all of its limit points, which means it is a complete set. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and geometry.

Back