Prove this trigonometric identity

In summary, by factoring the left-hand side and using the Pythagorean identity, we can simplify it to match the right-hand side.
JBD2

Homework Statement

Verify the possibility of an identity graphically. (Completed this part)
Then, prove each identity algebraically.

[tex]\dfrac{sinx+tanx}{cosx+1}=tanx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]tan\theta=\dfrac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}[/tex]

[tex]cot\theta=\dfrac{cos\theta}{sin\theta}[/tex]

[tex]sin^{2}\theta+cos^{2}\theta=1[/tex]

[tex]tan^{2}\theta+1=sec^{2}\theta[/tex]

[tex]cot^{2}\theta+1=csc^{2}\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\dfrac{sinx+\dfrac{sinx}{cosx}}{cosx+1}[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{sinx+sinxcosx}{cosx+1}[/tex]

[tex](sinx+sinxcosx)(cosx+1)[/tex]

[tex]sinxcosx+sinx+sinxcos^{2}x+sinxcosx[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{sinxcos^{2}x}{sinx}+\dfrac{2sinxcosx}{sinx}+\dfrac{sinx}{sinx}[/tex]

[tex]cos^{2}x+2cosx+1[/tex]

[tex]1-sin^{2}x+2cosx+1[/tex]

[tex]2cosx-sin^{2}x+2[/tex]

That's as far as I got and now I have no idea what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You went off track on the first step.

[tex] \frac{sinx+ \frac{sinx}{cosx}}{cosx+1} \neq \frac{sinx+sinxcosx}{cosx+1}[/tex]

This identity is looks straightforward. Just add the terms in the numerator correctly.

What do you mean by add the numerator? I see how I went wrong but how does the math work in that?

From here:

[tex]
\frac{sinx+\dfrac{sinx}{cosx}}{cosx+1}
[/tex]

Multiply both the numerator and denominator by cosx. Your numerator of sinx+sinxcosx is correct. But the denominator is incorrect,

A super easy trick is to notice this

sin(x)(1+ 1/cos(x)) / cos(x)(1+ 1/cos(x)) = sin(x)/cos(x) =? hmmm...factoring helps

Multiply both sides by (cos(x)+1). Now you have sin(x)+tan(x)=tan(x)*(1+cos(x)). Multiply out the right side.

Last edited:
Your fundamental approach is sort of off. Instead of just working with the left side to try to make it a tangent (which is hard), you should be operating on both sides to try to get sides that are clearly equal.

Alex6200 said:
Your fundamental approach is sort of off. Instead of just working with the left side to try to make it a tangent (which is hard), you should be operating on both sides to try to get sides that are clearly equal.

I'm just trying to learn by how the textbook shows, and that's the only way they've shown so far.

I tried out the way Dick showed (it worked) and I'm going to keep trying the other methods as well, thanks.

Easiest way is to put everything in terms of sin & cos:

sin(x)+tan(x) / cos(x)+1 = tan(x) =>

sin(x)+(sin(x)/cos(x)) / cos(x)+1 = sin(x)/cos(x) =>replace tan and multiply by denominator; then expand

sin(x)+(sin(x)/cos(x)) = sin(x)+(sin(x)/cos(x)) =>can factor and simplify from here

Hope that helps,
~CPE

JBD2 said:
I'm just trying to learn by how the textbook shows, and that's the only way they've shown so far.

I tried out the way Dick showed (it worked) and I'm going to keep trying the other methods as well, thanks.

They are all really the same method. Just manipulate the thing algebraically until you you get an identity. As Alex6200 said, don't restrict yourself to freezing one side. It's often easier if you mix them up.

Hmm this is the one thing about verifying trigonometric identities that's confused me a bit. In precalc we were always told to start with one side and try to get the expression on the other side. But most of the identities were already true, so it really doesn't matter if you simplify expressions on both sides does it? I mean any other operation besides restricting oneself to a simplification on one side is just the basic principle of applying the same algebraic manipulation to both sides.

I mean the whole point is to get you to use the fundamental identities in a creative way. And often if not always you could leave one side alone (usually the less complicated looking side) and manipulate the other side enough to get two equal expressions. I think at least for some identities this is more challenging.

I have a new question, I'm trying to work through this sheet of similar questions but it's just frustrating. I have tried simplifying this one question down so many ways and it's not equal and there isn't an answer in the back of the book for it so I'm wondering if it's not equal? Here it is:

Prove the result algebraically:

[tex]sin^{4}\theta-cos^{4}\theta=2sin^{2}\theta-1[/tex]

I would show my work but I've tried so many times it will just be frustrating.

JBD2 said:
I have a new question, I'm trying to work through this sheet of similar questions but it's just frustrating. I have tried simplifying this one question down so many ways and it's not equal and there isn't an answer in the back of the book for it so I'm wondering if it's not equal? Here it is:

Start by factoring. a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b). Apply with a=sin^2 and b=cos^2. Do you see anything to do from there?

JBD2 said:

Work with the LHS

Step 1. Factor it, you should get a product of 2 things

Step 2. What does each product = ? (use the fact that [tex] sin^{2}(x) \, + \, cos^{2}(x) \, = \, 1 [/tex] for both parts and you will get the RHS.

JBD2 said:

Notice that the left-hand side is a difference of two squares. If you factor it accordingly, you will notice something about one of the factors that will let you simplify the left side considerably. The remaining factor can then be easily manipulated (using a familiar trig identity) to look like the right-hand side.

Oh ok that makes so much sense now, thank you.

My general approach there would be to see that you have sines and cosines, remember that sine and cosine are related by the Pythagorean theorem, and then get it all into sines or cosines (in this case sine is easier).

Then you have a straightforward problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Prove this trigonometric identity

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It is often written using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

Why do we need to prove trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities allows us to better understand the relationships between different trigonometric functions and how they can be manipulated algebraically. It also helps us to verify the accuracy of mathematical calculations involving trigonometric functions.

What is the process for proving a trigonometric identity?

The process for proving a trigonometric identity involves using algebraic manipulations, trigonometric identities, and basic properties of trigonometric functions to transform one side of the equation into the other. This is typically done step-by-step until both sides of the equation are equivalent.

What are some common strategies for proving trigonometric identities?

Some common strategies for proving trigonometric identities include using Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and reciprocal identities. It is also helpful to manipulate both sides of the equation separately and look for patterns or relationships between the two.

What are some tips for successfully proving a trigonometric identity?

Some tips for successfully proving a trigonometric identity include being familiar with the various trigonometric identities, being comfortable with algebraic manipulations, and using a step-by-step approach. It can also be helpful to start on the more complex side of the equation and work backwards.