Prove Trig. Inequality: A,B & C Are Triangle Angles

In summary, the conversation is about proving the inequality (sinA/2 + sinB/2 + sinC/2)^2 >= (sinA)^2 + (sinB)^2 + (sinC)^2 where A, B, and C are angles of a triangle. The individual is trying to come up with a proof using trigonometric manipulations and identities. They suggest multiplying out the left side and using the law of cosines to simplify the equation. Eventually, they arrive at a solution using the law of cosines and substituting for the cosines of each angle.
Jean-Louis
Show that :

(sinA/2 + sinB/2 + sinC/2)^2 >= (sinA)^2 + (sinB)^2 + (sinC)^2

A,B and C are the angles of a triangle.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for an elementary proof using trig manipulations or identites?
I can't see anything, Ill just right the question again that other people might find easier to help you with.

Show that [tex]\frac{\sin A + \sin B + \sin C}{2} >= \sin^2 A + \sin^2 B + \sin^2 C[/tex]
bounded by the condition [tex]A+B+C=\pi[/tex]

Gib Z, i think you have wrote the question wrong. i think Jean-Louis wrote,

[tex]\left(\sin \frac{A}{2} + \sin \frac{B}{2} + \sin \frac{C}{2}\right)^{2} \geq \sin^2 A + \sin^2 B + \sin^2 C[/tex] where [tex]A + B + C = \pi[/tex]

Jean-Louis said:
Show that :

(sinA/2 + sinB/2 + sinC/2)^2 >= (sinA)^2 + (sinB)^2 + (sinC)^2

A,B and C are the angles of a triangle.

Have you tried doing anything? I'd multiply out the left hand side first, and see what happens.

I think I got it. Here it goes :

sin(x/2) = +/- sqrt((1-cos(x))/2)
and sin^2(z) = 1 - cos^2(x)

so that that (sinA)^2 + (sinB)^2 + (sinC)^2 = 3 - (cos^2(A) + cos^2(B) +
cos^2(C))

Now (sin A/2 + sin B/2 + sin C/2)^2 = (+/- sqrt((1-cos(A))/2) + +/-
sqrt((1-cos(B))/2) + +/- sqrt((1-cos(C)/2) ) ^2

If we let

A = +/- sqrt((1-cos(A))/2)
B = +/- sqrt((1-cos(B))/2)
C = +/- sqrt((1-cos(C))/2)

Then (sin A/2 + sin B/2 + sin C/2)^2 = A^2 + B^2 + C^2 + 2AB + 2AC + 2BC

A^2 = (1 - cos(A))/2
B^2 = (1 - cos(B))/2
C^2 = (1 - cos(C))/2

AB = 1/2 SQRT((1-cosA)(1-cosB))
AC = 1/2 SQRT((1-cosA)(1-cosC))
BC = 1/2 SQRT((1-cosB)(1-cosC))

so you have

(1 - cos(A))/2 + (1 - cos(B))/2 + (1 - cos(C))/2 +
SQRT((1-cosA)(1-cosB)) + SQRT((1-cosA)(1-cosC)) + SQRT((1-cosB)(1-cosC))
>= 3 - (cos^2(A) + cos^2(B) + cos^2(C))

Now the Law of cosines tells us this...

cosC = (a^2 + b^2 -c^2)/2ab
cosA = (b^2 + c^2 - a^2)/2bc
cosB = ((a^2 + c^2 - b^2)/2ac

You have all the equations in terms of cosines - substitute simplify...

QED

Kill me. Somebody kill me...

FAQ: Prove Trig. Inequality: A,B & C Are Triangle Angles

1. What is the trigonometric inequality for triangle angles A, B, and C?

The trigonometric inequality for triangle angles A, B, and C is A + B > C. This means that the sum of any two angles in a triangle must be greater than the third angle.

2. How do you prove the trigonometric inequality for triangle angles?

To prove the trigonometric inequality for triangle angles, we can use the triangle inequality theorem. This theorem states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. By using this theorem and the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees, we can show that A + B > C.

3. Can you provide an example of a triangle that follows the trigonometric inequality?

Yes, for example, a triangle with angles of 60 degrees, 70 degrees, and 50 degrees follows the trigonometric inequality. 60 + 70 > 50, 70 + 50 > 60, and 60 + 50 > 70.

4. What happens if the sum of two angles in a triangle is equal to the third angle?

If the sum of two angles in a triangle is equal to the third angle, then the triangle is considered degenerate, meaning it has collapsed into a straight line. In this case, the triangle inequality theorem cannot be applied, and the trigonometric inequality does not hold.

5. Is the trigonometric inequality true for all types of triangles?

Yes, the trigonometric inequality is true for all types of triangles, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles. As long as the triangle has three distinct angles, the inequality will hold.

Back