Prove two vectors are perpendicular (2-D)

In summary, to prove that (ai+bj) and (-bi+aj) are perpendicular, we can construct a triangle with these vectors as its sides. Using trigonometry, we can prove that they have a right angle between them by showing that their dot product is zero. Since the book has not yet introduced the scalar product, we can use the method of constructing a triangle and applying Pythagoras' theorem to prove that the dot product is indeed zero. Therefore, (ai+bj) and (-bi+aj) are perpendicular.
rbnphlp
Show that (ai+bj)and (-bi+aj) are perpendicular...

im clueless on what to do ..any hints will be greatly apperciated
thanks
I know I am missing something really simple

Also the book has not yet introduced the scalar product so they want me to use some other way

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
help anyone?

Construct a triangle with these vectors as his sides, and use trigonometry to prove that they have a right angle between them

Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is zero. For your case, the dot product is -ab+ab=0.

elibj123 said:
Construct a triangle with these vectors as his sides, and use trigonometry to prove that they have a right angle between them

mathman said:
Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is zero. For your case, the dot product is -ab+ab=0.

Thanks both of you ..the book hasn't introduced scaler product yet so I don't think they wanted me to use that method ..

I drew a triangle .. OA=(a,b)(|OA|=[itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex]), OB=(-b,a)|OB|[itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex] , then AB=(b+a,b-a)|AB|=[itex]\sqrt{(b+a)^2+(b-a)^2}[/itex]
then I assumed it to be a right triangle and used pythagoras
i.e and is easily shown [itex]|OB|^2+|OA|^2=|AB|^2[/itex] ..
I hope this proof is right thanks

FAQ: Prove two vectors are perpendicular (2-D)

1. How do you determine if two vectors are perpendicular in a 2-D plane?

To determine if two vectors are perpendicular, you can use the dot product method. If the dot product of the two vectors is equal to 0, then they are perpendicular.

2. Can two non-zero vectors be perpendicular?

Yes, two non-zero vectors can be perpendicular as long as their dot product is equal to 0. This means that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of two perpendicular vectors in a 2-D plane?

The geometric interpretation of two perpendicular vectors is that they form a right angle with each other. This can also be seen as one vector being orthogonal to the other.

4. How can I verify if my calculations for perpendicular vectors are correct?

To verify your calculations, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. If the sum of the squares of the components of one vector is equal to the square of the magnitude of the other vector, then they are perpendicular.

5. Are the magnitudes of two perpendicular vectors related in any way?

Yes, the magnitudes of two perpendicular vectors are related by the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude of the resultant vector, formed by adding the two perpendicular vectors, is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the magnitudes of the two vectors.