Prove x ≥ a: Let Real Numbers $x, y, z, a, b, c$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary: As for the proof, we have $c \ge b \ge a$ and $z \ge c$. Since $z \ge y \ge x$, we can rearrange the order to get $x \ge a$. Therefore, we have proved that $x \ge a$. In summary, we are given positive real numbers $x, y, z, a, b, c$ satisfying the conditions of $z \ge y \ge x$, $c \ge b \ge a$, $x+y+z=a+b+c$, $xyz=abc$ and $z \ge c$, and we are asked to prove that $x \ge a$. By rearranging the inequalities, we can see that $x
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $x, y, z, a, b, c$ be positive real numbers for which $z \ge y \ge x$ and $c \ge b \ge a$, $x+y+z=a+b+c$, $xyz=abc$ and $z \ge c$. Prove that $x \ge a$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let $x, y, z, a, b, c$ be positive real numbers for which $z \ge y \ge x$ and $c \ge b \ge a$, $x+y+z=a+b+c$, $xyz=abc$ and $z \ge c$. Prove that $x \ge a$.

My solution:

If we let

$f(t)=(t-a)(t-b)(t-c)=t^3-(a+b+c)t^2+(ab+bc+ca)t-abc$ and

$g(t)=(t-x)(t-y)(t-z)=t^3-(x+y+z)t^2+(xy+yz+zx)t-xyz$

Then we see that:

$f(t)-g(t)=(ab+bc+ca-xy-yz-zx)t$ is a straight line.

At $t=z$, $f(t)-g(t)=f(z)-g(z)=f(z)<0$

Also, when $t=0$, we have

$\begin{align*}f(t)-g(t)&=f(0)-g(0)\\&=-abc-(-xyz)\\&=-abc+xyz\\&=0 \end{align*}$

Hence we can draw conclusion that the straight line $f(t)-g(t)=(ab+bc+ca-xy-yz-zx)t$ is always negative for $t>0$.

That is, $f(t)-g(t)<0$ or $f(t)<g(t)$ for $0<t<a$. This holds only when $x \ge a$.

Hence we're done.

Hi MHB,

I realized only by now that I've posted the terribly wrong answer to this particular challenge problem of mine and I am extremely sorry about that.

I will now post another suggested solution by other and please discard my previous solution post, thanks.

If we let

$f(t)=(t-a)(t-b)(t-c)=t^3-(a+b+c)t^2+(ab+bc+ca)t-abc$ and

$g(t)=(t-x)(t-y)(t-z)=t^3-(x+y+z)t^2+(xy+yz+zx)t-xyz$

Then we see that:

$f(t)-g(t)=(ab+bc+ca-xy-yz-zx)t$ never changes sign for positive values of $t$.

Since $f(t)>0$ for $t>c$, we have that $f(z)-g(z)=f(z) \ge 0$, so that $f(t) \ge g(t)$ for all $t>0$.

Hence, for $0<t<a$, $g(t) \le f(t) <0$, from which it follows that $g(t)$ has no root less than $a$. Hence $x \ge a$ as desired.

anemone said:
View attachment 1856
can you find another sets of values ?
(a<b<c , x<y<z and c<z )
(a+b+c=x+y+z)
(abc=xyz)
with a,b,c,x,y,z>0

Attachments

• x is greater than a.JPG
    x is greater than a.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 59
Albert said:
can you find another sets of values ?
(a<b<c , x<y<z and c<z )
(a+b+c=x+y+z)
(abc=xyz)
with a,b,c,x,y,z>0

Hi Albert,

Here is another set of the values which is not very hard to find::eek:

$(x,\,y,\,z)=(5,\,5.2,\,8.1)$

$(a,\,b,\,c)=(4.5,\,6,\,7.8)$

Related to Prove x ≥ a: Let Real Numbers $x, y, z, a, b, c$

What does the statement "x ≥ a" mean?

The statement "x ≥ a" means that the value of x is greater than or equal to the value of a. In other words, x can be equal to a or any value greater than a.

How do you prove that x ≥ a?

To prove that x ≥ a, you need to show that the value of x is greater than or equal to the value of a. This can be done by either using mathematical calculations or logical reasoning.

What are the real numbers in this statement?

The real numbers in this statement are x, y, z, a, b, and c. Real numbers are any number that can be found on the number line, including positive and negative numbers, fractions, and decimals.

Is x ≥ a always true?

No, x ≥ a is not always true. It depends on the specific values of x and a. For example, if x = 3 and a = 5, then x ≥ a is false. However, if x = 5 and a = 3, then x ≥ a is true.

Can you give an example of a proof for x ≥ a?

Yes, for example, if we have x = 5 and a = 3, we can prove that x ≥ a by showing that 5 is greater than or equal to 3. This can be done by subtracting 3 from both sides of the inequality, which gives us 2 ≥ 0. Since 2 is a positive number, this statement is true, and therefore x ≥ a is also true.