Proving a differential equation using the substitution method

In summary, by substituting y(x) = sin(x) + 1/u(x) into the given differential equation, it yields the differential equation for u(x). Using the chain rule, the correct dy/dx to choose is dy/dx = [2cos(x)^2-sin(x)^2+y^2]/[2cos(x)]. The solution can then be found by finding dy/du from the equation y = sin(x) + 1/u(x) and flipping it around to get du/dy. However, there is a similar question already posted so this thread can be closed.
jeffreylze

Homework Statement

dy/dx = [tex]\frac{[2cos(x)^2-sin(x)^2+y^2]}{[2cos(x)]}[/tex]

Substitute y(x) = sin(x) + [tex]\frac{1}{u(x)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

By doing the substitution, it will yield the differential equation for u(x)

du/dx = -u tan(x) - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]sec(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out i have to use chain rule. However, if du/dx = du/dy x dy/dx , which dy/dx do i choose? It can be either

this - dy/dx = [tex]\frac{[2cos(x)^2-sin(x)^2+y^2]}{[2cos(x)]}[/tex]

or - y = sin(x) + 1/[u(x)]
dy/dx = cos(x)

Then, I found the dy/du from this equation y = sin(x) + 1/[u(x)] and flipped it around to get du/dy. After multiplying using the chain rule, I don't get the differential equation as shown. Please help me out here. =X

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized a similar question has been posted. Please close the thread. Sorry for the trouble. =X

Related to Proving a differential equation using the substitution method

1. What is the substitution method for proving a differential equation?

The substitution method is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations. It involves substituting a new variable for the dependent variable in the original equation, in order to transform it into a simpler form that can be solved more easily.

2. How do you choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable is typically chosen to be the same as the dependent variable, but with a different letter. For example, if the dependent variable is y, the substitution variable could be u or v.

3. What are the steps for using the substitution method to prove a differential equation?

The steps for using the substitution method are as follows:
1. Choose a substitution variable
2. Substitute the variable into the original differential equation
3. Solve the resulting equation for the new variable
4. Substitute the solution back into the original equation
5. Simplify and verify that the solution satisfies the original equation

4. Can the substitution method be used for all types of differential equations?

No, the substitution method is most commonly used for first order differential equations that are in the form of separable variables. It may not be effective for higher order or more complex differential equations.

5. Are there any tips for using the substitution method effectively?

One tip is to choose a substitution variable that will cancel out terms in the original equation and make it easier to solve. Additionally, it can be helpful to check the solution by differentiating it and substituting it back into the original equation to ensure it is correct.