Proving a Double Integral Identity: Can Anyone Help with This Homework Problem?

Oh, sorry. I should have written "prove the identity for functions of the form f(x)=x^n." I was just trying to show you a way that you could bootstrap your way up to a proof for all functions that can be written as a sum of terms of that form, but I see that you've gotten it already. :smile:I was going to suggest the change of variable u=st, too, but I see that you were ahead of me. Nice work.
ggumdol

Homework Statement

Can anybody prove the following double integral identity? How?:

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} s(1-s) f(sx) ds = \int_{0}^{1} s^2 \int_{0}^{1} t f(tsx) dt ds [/tex]

Here f(x) is an arbitrary Riemann-integrable function.

Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

I've found the following but it does not seem to be applicable to my problem.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9783527618132.app3/pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried Coordinate Transformation and Integration by Parts. I've working on this problem for a couple of days. Please help me. I guess this identity could be proved simply by a coordinate transformation.

For those who may wonder if this identity is really correct, please run the following Maple code, then you will get 0, implying that the above identity is correct.

[tex] f(x) = x^2 - e^{x} * cos(x) + e^{x^2}+x^2 (cos (x))^2 + x^3 + 7 x^{5/4} [/tex]

> f(x):=x^(2)-exp(x)*cos(x)+exp(x^(2))+x^(2)*(cos(x))^(2)+x^(3)+7*x^(5/(4));
> int(s*(1-s)*(eval(f(x), x = s*x)), s = 0 .. 1)-(int(s^2*(int(t*(eval(f(x), x = t*s*x)), t = 0 .. 1)), s = 0 .. 1));

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Move the s^2 inside the inner integral. So your integral is s^2*t*f(stx)dt. Write that as (st)*f((st)*x)*d(st). Suggests you want a new variable of integration u=st, right? Ok, so now you've got a double integral du*ds. Mind the change in limits. Now change the order of integration.

ggumdol said:

Homework Statement

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} s(1-s) f(sx) ds = \int_{0}^{1} s^2 \int_{0}^{1} t f(tsx) dt ds [/tex]

Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

I've found the following but it does not seem to be applicable to my problem.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9783527618132.app3/pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried Coordinate Transformation and Integration by Parts. I've working on this problem for a couple of days. Please help me. I guess this identity could be proved simply by a coordinate transformation.

For those who may wonder if this identity is really correct, please run the following Maple code, then you will get 0, implying that the above identity is correct.

[tex] f(x) = x^2 - e^{x} * cos(x) + e^{x^2}+x^2 (cos (x))^2 + x^3 + 7 x^{5/4} [/tex]

> f(x):=x^(2)-exp(x)*cos(x)+exp(x^(2))+x^(2)*(cos(x))^(2)+x^(3)+7*x^(5/(4));
> int(s*(1-s)*(eval(f(x), x = s*x)), s = 0 .. 1)-(int(s^2*(int(t*(eval(f(x), x = t*s*x)), t = 0 .. 1)), s = 0 .. 1));

Of course, Dick always provides the elegant method. :smile:

I took a more pedestrian attempt, using a Taylor series representation of the function. I did this just to convince myself that your identity wasn't false, but I figured why not mention it.

If you can write f(y) as a Taylor series expansion, it is straightforward to prove.

You can use induction to simplify this by taking a general term f(y)=C*y^n (where C is a constant) and running it through the factory.

It's interesting that on one side you get something proportional to 1/(n+2)-1/(n+3) while on the other side you get something proportional to 1/((n+2)*(n+3)). Of course, it's not hard to show that these are equal.

stevenb said:

I took a more pedestrian attempt, using a Taylor series representation of the function. I did this just to convince myself that your identity wasn't false, but I figured why not mention it.

If you can write f(y) as a Taylor series expansion, it is straightforward to prove.

You can use induction to simplify this by taking a general term f(y)=C*y^n (where C is a constant) and running it through the factory.

It's interesting that on one side you get something proportional to 1/(n+2)-1/(n+3) while on the other side you get something proportional to 1/((n+2)*(n+3)). Of course, it's not hard to show that these are equal.

That's a valiant approach. Bravo! So you've shown directly it works for all functions of the form (stx)^n. I'll rate that approach one up from throwing a bizarre function at Maple to convince yourself it must be true.

stevenb said:

Thanks. I know that your (Tayler series expansion) method can be used to prove the identity but it may look slightly less elegant.

ggumdol said:

Homework Statement

I got a complete solution due to hints from both of you.

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} s^2 \int_{0}^{1} t f(tsx) dt ds = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} s t f(tsx) s dt ds = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{s} u f(ux) du ds [/tex]
where I plugged the change of variable [tex] u=st [/tex].

Now I change the area over which the double integration is done.
[tex] 0 \leq u \leq s, ~ u \leq s \leq 1 ~ \rightarrow ~ 0 \leq u \leq 1 , ~ u \leq s \leq 1 [/tex]

Then we finally have
[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{s} u f(ux) du ds = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{u}^{1} u f(ux) ds du = \int_{0}^{1} (1-u) u f(ux) du = \int_{0}^{1} (1-s) s f(sx) ds .[/tex]
This simple identity has haunted me for a couple of days!

Last edited:
ggumdol said:
Thanks. I know that your (Tayler series expansion) method can be used to prove the identity but it may look slightly less elegant.

It doesn't PROVE the identity. As stevenb knows, not all functions can be expanded in a Taylor series. 'Riemann integrable' is way too weak for that. It's more of a plausibility argument like picking a strange function and testing it.

ggumdol said:
I got a complete solution due to hints from both of you.

[tex] \int_{0}^{1} s^2 \int_{0}^{1} t f(tsx) dt ds = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} s t f(tsx) s dt ds = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{s} u f(ux) du ds [/tex]
where I plugged the change of variable [tex] u=st [/tex].

Now I change the area over which the double integration is done.
[tex] 0 \leq u \leq s, ~ u \leq s \leq 1 ~ \rightarrow ~ 0 \leq u \leq 1 , ~ u \leq s \leq 1 [/tex]
Then we finally have
[tex] \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{s} u f(ux) du ds = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{u}^{1} u f(ux) ds du = \int_{0}^{1} (1-u) u f(ux) ds du [/tex]

Yep. That's it. You've got an extra ds at the end, but I know you are still editing.

Dick said:
Yep. That's it. You've got an extra ds at the end, but I know you are still editing.

Thanks Dick and stevenb. I like this forum.

ggumdol said:
Thanks Dick and stevenb. I like this forum.

Glad you do. I do too. If you want you can try and help other people with their problems. You're pretty sharp.

Related to Proving a Double Integral Identity: Can Anyone Help with This Homework Problem?

1. What is a double integral identity?

A double integral identity is a mathematical relationship between two double integrals, which are calculations used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It states that the order in which the integrals are performed does not affect the final result, as long as the limits of integration remain the same.

2. How is a double integral identity used?

A double integral identity is used in various areas of science and engineering, such as physics, statistics, and computer graphics. It allows for simplification of calculations and can be applied to solve problems involving multiple integrals, such as finding the center of mass or calculating probabilities.

3. What is the difference between a double integral identity and a single integral identity?

A single integral identity relates to the order of integration for a single integral, while a double integral identity applies to the order of integration for two nested integrals. Single integral identities are used for finding the area under a curve in two-dimensional space, while double integral identities are used for finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

4. Are there any limitations to using a double integral identity?

One limitation of using a double integral identity is that it only applies to integrals with constant limits of integration. Also, it cannot be applied to integrals with discontinuous or undefined functions. In these cases, other mathematical techniques must be used to solve the integral.

5. Can a double integral identity be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, a double integral identity can be extended to higher dimensions, such as triple integrals in four-dimensional space. The concept of integration order not affecting the final result can be applied to any number of nested integrals as long as the limits of integration remain constant.