Proving a function is an inner product in a complex space

In summary: I don't think you did. The original expression is clearly real. And real numbers are always their own complex conjugate. It says nothing in the definition of an inner product that...No, I think I did something wrong. I am trying to simplify something and I think I may have forgotten a property of complex conjugation. No, I think I did something wrong. I am trying to simplify something and I think I may have forgotten a property of complex conjugation.
Adgorn

Homework Statement

Prove the following form for an inner product in a complex space V:
##\langle u,v \rangle## ##=## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u+v\right|^2## ##-## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u-v\right|^2## ##+## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u+iv\right|^2## ##-## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u-iv\right|^2##

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

By opening the expressions and canceling equals I've managed to bring the expression
##\left| u+v\right|^2## ##-## ##\left| u-v\right|^2## ##+## ##\left| u+iv\right|^2## ##-## ##\left| u-iv\right|^2##
into the form of ##2(\langle u,v \rangle + \langle v,u \rangle +\langle u,iv \rangle +\langle vi,u \rangle)##. Deviding by 4 means the expression in the question may be written as ##\frac 1 2 (\langle u,v \rangle + \langle v,u \rangle +\langle u,iv \rangle +\langle iv,u \rangle)##. This is where I got stuck, I have managed to reach this expression yet I do not know how to show it follows the three axioms or alternatively simplify it further to a point where it is a multiple of ##\langle u,v \rangle##.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Adgorn said:

Homework Statement

##\langle u,v \rangle## ##=## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u+v\right|^2## ##-## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u-v\right|^2## ##+## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u+iv\right|^2## ##-## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u-iv\right|^2##

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

By opening the expressions and canceling equals I've managed to bring the expression
##\left| u+v\right|^2## ##-## ##\left| u-v\right|^2## ##+## ##\left| u+iv\right|^2## ##-## ##\left| u-iv\right|^2##
into the form of ##2(\langle u,v \rangle + \langle v,u \rangle +\langle u,iv \rangle +\langle vi,u \rangle)##. Deviding by 4 means the expression in the question may be written as ##\frac 1 2 (\langle u,v \rangle + \langle v,u \rangle +\langle u,iv \rangle +\langle iv,u \rangle)##. This is where I got stuck, I have managed to reach this expression yet I do not know how to show it follows the three axioms or alternatively simplify it further to a point where it is a multiple of ##\langle u,v \rangle##.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

I doubt it will simplify to a multiple of ##\langle u,v \rangle##. Try one of the axioms and see whether the function you have satisfies it.

I am not a mathematician, but shouldn't you simply be showing that the definition satisfies all the properties of an inner product?

PeroK said:
I doubt it will simplify to a multiple of ##\langle u,v \rangle##. Try one of the axioms and see whether the function you have satisfies it.

On reflection, perhaps continue to simplify! Hint: You'll need to think about the properties of the usual inner product and about complex conjugation.

Likes Adgorn
PeroK said:
On reflection, perhaps continue to simplify! Hint: You'll need to think about the properties of the usual inner product and about complex conjugation.
I've been trying every possible way I can think of. The best I've managed is 2##(u\overline v + \overline {u \overline v} - iu\overline v +i \overline{u\overline v})##. I can't help but feel I am missing some key property of complex conjugate that prevents me from solving this...

Adgorn said:
I've been trying every possible way I can think of. The best I've managed is 2##(u\overline v + \overline {u \overline v} - iu\overline v +i \overline{u\overline v})##. I can't help but feel I am missing some key property of complex conjugate that prevents me from solving this...

The property you are missing is that ##z + \bar{z} = 2Re(z)##.

Likes Adgorn
PeroK said:
Of course, now I feel like an idiot but I guess mistake is the mother of all teachers. Thanks for the help.

PeroK said:
No, nevermind, it seems I'm completely helpless on this one. By defining ##\langle u,v \rangle = u\overline v ## to be ##(a+bi)## the expression ##2(u\overline v + \overline {u \overline v} - iu\overline v +i \overline{u\overline v})## became
##2(a+bi+a-bi-i(a+bi)+i(a-bi))## ##=## ##2(2a -ai +b +ai +b) = 2(2a+2b)## ##=## ##4(a+b)##

Which can't be write since if I define ##u=x+yi## and ##v=z+ti## where ##x,y,z,t\in R##, the expression becomes the real number ##4(xz+yt+yz-xt)##, and so the function does not follow the second axiom of ##\langle u,v \rangle = \overline {\langle v,u \rangle}##.
Where did I go wrong this time?...

Adgorn said:
No, nevermind, it seems I'm completely helpless on this one. By defining ##\langle u,v \rangle = u\overline v ## to be ##(a+bi)## the expression ##2(u\overline v + \overline {u \overline v} - iu\overline v +i \overline{u\overline v})## became
##2(a+bi+a-bi-i(a+bi)+i(a-bi))## ##=## ##2(2a -ai +b +ai +b) = 2(2a+2b)## ##=## ##4(a+b)##

Which can't be write since if I define ##u=x+yi## and ##v=z+ti## where ##x,y,z,t\in R##, the expression becomes the real number ##4(xz+yt+yz-xt)##, and so the function does not follow the second axiom of ##\langle u,v \rangle = \overline {\langle v,u \rangle}##.
Where did I go wrong this time?...

I don't think you did. The original expression is clearly real. And real numbers are always their own complex conjugate. It says nothing in the definition of an inner product that it can't take solely real values.

You can stick with an expression involving ##\langle u, v \rangle##. You should get a very simple sum, from which the inner product axioms follow easily.

Note that ##u, v## are vectors. And we are assuming that the norm of a vector is obtained from the usual inner product (*). The new inner product should really have a different notation, like ##\langle u, v \rangle_1##

(*) Or, in fact, any inner product.

Last edited:
The expression is real. which means ##\langle u,v \rangle = \overline {\langle v,u \rangle} = \langle v,u \rangle##
However ##\langle u,v \rangle = xz+yt+yz-xt## while ##\overline {\langle v,u \rangle} = \langle v,u \rangle = zx+ty+tx-zy \neq \langle u,v \rangle ## so the 2nd axiom does not apply
I can't seem to find any mistakes here, perhaps the book replaced some ##+## with a ##-##?...

Adgorn said:
The expression is real. which means ##\langle u,v \rangle = \overline {\langle v,u \rangle} = \langle v,u \rangle##
However ##\langle u,v \rangle = xz+yt+yz-xt## while ##\overline {\langle v,u \rangle} = \langle v,u \rangle = zx+ty+tx-zy \neq \langle u,v \rangle ## so the 2nd axiom does not apply
I can't seem to find any mistakes here, perhaps the book replaced some ##+## with a ##-##?...

You've gone off track by replacing ##u, v## with complex numbers. These are vectors. It's difficult to spot your mistake, and fairly pointless, since you should be working either with the original expression (which could get messy) or with a simplified expression involving ##\langle u,v \rangle##.

Hint: you should be getting Real and Imaginary parts coming out.

Likes Adgorn
Adgorn said:

This is correct. ##a## and ##b## are the real and imaginary parts of ##\langle u, v \rangle## - the old inner product. So, you can start looking at the inner product axioms for the new inner product from here.

Likes Adgorn
Adgorn said:

Your mistake is to confuse the new inner product, which is real-valued, with the original inner product, which may complex valued and for which ##\langle u, v \rangle = \overline{\langle v, u \rangle}##

Likes Adgorn
PeroK said:
Your mistake is to confuse the new inner product, which is real-valued, with the original inner product, which may complex valued and for which ##\langle u, v \rangle = \overline{\langle v, u \rangle}##
So the new inner product, which refers to the product in the original question, is a+b where a,b are the real and imaginary parts of the old inner product ##\langle u,v \rangle## respectively. I suppose I wanted to express it in a more "technical" manner since according to the book it is the complex equivalent of the real inner product function ##\langle u,v \rangle## ##=## ##\frac 1 4## ##\left\|u+v\right\|####^2## ##-## ##\left\|u-v\right\|^2##.
I'll do the axioms from here as you said then.

Adgorn said:

Homework Statement

Are you sure the question isn't:

##\langle u,v \rangle## ##=## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u+v\right|^2## ##-## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u-v\right|^2## ##+## ##\frac i 4####\left| u+iv\right|^2## ##-## ##\frac i 4####\left| u-iv\right|^2##

PeroK said:
Are you sure the question isn't:

##\langle u,v \rangle## ##=## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u+v\right|^2## ##-## ##\frac 1 4####\left| u-v\right|^2## ##+## ##\frac i 4####\left| u+iv\right|^2## ##-## ##\frac i 4####\left| u-iv\right|^2##
Positive, the book is "Schaum's outlines Linear Algebera (fourth addition)". It is full of mistakes and the more I tend to this problem the more I think it is one of them.

You can read it here (page 261, problem 7.96) <link to copyrighted material removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Adgorn said:
Positive, the book is "Schaum's outlines Linear Algebera (fourth addition)". It is full of mistakes and the more I tend to this problem the more I think it is one of them.

You can read it here (page 261, problem 7.96) <link to copyrighted material removed>

Yes, you're right. I apologise for some of my posts on this. You can't possibly have a real-valued inner product on a complex vector space. I don't know what I was thinking! It's supposed to be an identity as I suggested in post #15.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to apologize, I've made my fair share of mistakes as well. Thank you very much for the assitance.

Related to Proving a function is an inner product in a complex space

What is an inner product in a complex space?

An inner product in a complex space is a mathematical operation that takes two complex vectors and returns a complex number. It is used to measure the angle between vectors and the length of a vector in a complex space.

How is an inner product calculated?

An inner product is calculated by taking the conjugate transpose of one vector and multiplying it by the other vector. This can be represented mathematically as <u, v>, where u and v are complex vectors.

What are the properties of an inner product?

The properties of an inner product include linearity, conjugate symmetry, and positive definiteness. Linearity means that the inner product is distributive and satisfies the properties of scalar multiplication. Conjugate symmetry means that swapping the order of the vectors results in the complex conjugate of the original inner product. Positive definiteness means that the inner product is always greater than or equal to zero.

How do you prove that a function is an inner product in a complex space?

To prove that a function is an inner product in a complex space, you must show that it satisfies the properties of an inner product. This can be done through mathematical manipulation and proof, typically using the definition of an inner product and the properties it must satisfy.

What are the applications of inner products in complex spaces?

Inner products in complex spaces have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to define norms and distances in complex vector spaces, as well as to solve optimization problems and study the properties of complex functions. They are also important in quantum mechanics and signal processing.