Proving a mathematical statement

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that there exists a number m, an element of the positive integers, that when added to any positive integer n, the result is divisible by 3. The conversation explores whether this statement is true or false and discusses the role of m and n in the statement.
Temp0

Homework Statement

There exists a number m, which is an element of the positive integers, that for all positive integers n, n+m can be divided by 3. Prove whether this statement is true or false.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I ran into a similar question earlier on, which just had the initial part reversed (as in, for all positive integers n there is a positive integer m so that n+m is divisible by 3). I proved that statement by letting m = 2n, and then 3n / 3 = n, which is a positive integer, proving that n+m is divisible. However, I don't understand why reversing the initial condition suddenly makes the entire statement false. Can I not do the same m = 2n idea to prove this statement? Could anyone explain why this is? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
m cannot depend on n here.
If such an m would exist, you would have to be able to say "m=1245" for example.

Ohh, so you're saying that m would be like a constant value, whereas in the other case it could be a variable? How exactly does the order play into this?

The order is in the statement.

"There is a number m [such] that for all integers n, ..." => fixed m, and then for all integers n something has to be true.
"For every n there is an integer m" => m can depend on n.

Ohh, I see, thank you so much for your help.

Related to Proving a mathematical statement

1. How do you prove a mathematical statement?

To prove a mathematical statement, you must show that it is true for all possible cases. This can be done by using logical reasoning, algebraic manipulation, and/or mathematical induction.

2. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of proof commonly used to prove statements about integers or other mathematical objects that follow a pattern. It involves proving that the statement is true for a base case, and then showing that if the statement is true for one case, it must also be true for the next case.

3. What is a counterexample?

A counterexample is a specific case or example that disproves a mathematical statement. If a statement is false, there must be at least one counterexample that shows it is not true for all cases.

4. Can a mathematical statement be proven without using mathematical induction?

Yes, mathematical induction is just one method of proof. There are other methods such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive. The best method to use depends on the specific statement being proven.

5. What happens if a mathematical statement cannot be proven?

If a mathematical statement cannot be proven, it is considered to be unprovable or undecidable. This means that there is not enough information or evidence to either prove or disprove the statement. In some cases, new mathematical techniques or discoveries may eventually allow for the proof of previously unprovable statements.