Proving a piece-wise defined function is bijective.

In summary: The conclusion is sufficient. The rough notes are not necessary, but are helpful. Making the "rough notes" part of the proof is a good idea.
pondzo

Homework Statement

##f:\mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{N}##
## f(x) = \begin{cases} 2x+2 & \text{if } x \geq 0 \\ -2x-1 & \text{if } x < 0 \end{cases} ##
Prove that f is a bijection from ##\mathbb{Z}## to ##\mathbb{N}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proving that it is an injection if quite simple. Proving it is a surjection is where i get confused.

Let ##y\in\mathbb{N} \text{ and } x \in \mathbb{Z}##

If ##x \geq 0 \text{ then } y=2x+2 ~~\Rightarrow~~ x=\frac{y-2}{2} ##
if ##y\geq 2 \text{ then } f(\frac{y-2}{2})=2(\frac{y-2}{2})+2=y##
if ##y<2 \text{ then } f(\frac{y-2}{2})=-2(\frac{y-2}{2})-1=1-y##

If ##x<0 \text{ then } y=-2x-1 ~~\Rightarrow~~ x=\frac{-(y+1)}{2}##
if ## y \geq -1 \text{ then } f(\frac{-(y+1)}{2})=2(\frac{-(y+1)}{2})+2=1-y##
if ## y<-1 \text{ then } f(\frac{-(y+1)}{2}) = -2(\frac{-(y+1)}{2})-1=y##

I'm pretty sure there should only be 2 or at most 4 cases that i need to investigate but i have 6. So I am clearly doing something wrong... Could someone help me out please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the surjection, why not consider the cases where y is even and odd.

PeroK said:
For the surjection, why not consider the cases where y is even and odd.
Ahhh thank you PeroK! I'm certain i was thinking that on the bus home, and then i lost the thought and couldn't find it again. Thank you for reminding me!

Just an aside; Is my method even valid? i don't know what to make of the 1-y results.. does this matter?

pondzo said:
Ahhh thank you PeroK! I'm certain i was thinking that on the bus home, and then i lost the thought and couldn't find it again. Thank you for reminding me!

Just an aside; Is my method even valid? i don't know what to make of the 1-y results.. does this matter?

If I could follow your method, I'd tell you.

Normally, if you're trying to show something is a surjection onto a set Y, you would start with:

Let ##y \in Y##

Then find the relevant ##x \in X##

So if I split the problem into whether y is odd or even will I end up dealing with four cases?

1. y is odd and y is less than or equal to 1
2. y is odd and y is greater than 1
3. y is even and y is greater than or equal to 2
4. y is even and y is less than 2

This is how I am thinking about it; The first two cases arise because y being odd leads to ##x=\frac{1-y}{2}## and if y <= 1 then x would be positive so i use 2x+2 but if y>1 then x is negative so i would use -2x-1. The same argument goes for the last two.

I feel somewhere in that argument i am contradicting myself and in general don't have a whole lot of confidence in the way i have done things. Could you show me how the "y is odd" argument would look?

You don't need four cases, only two. To get you started:

Let ##y \in \mathbb{N}## be even. Then ##y = 2n## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##

Can you take it from there?

How does this look?

Let ##y \in \mathbb{N}## be even. Then ##y=2n## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##
##y=2x+2 ~~\Rightarrow~~ x=\frac{y-2}{2}=\frac{2n-2}{2}=n-1##

Let ##y \in \mathbb{N}## be odd. Then ##y=2n+1## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##
##y=-2x-1 ~~\Rightarrow~~ x=\frac{-(y+1)}{2}=\frac{-(2n+2)}{2}=-n-1##

Thanks for all your help PeroK.

A couple of things.

First, note that ##\mathbb{N} = {1, 2, 3 ...}##. So, you need to check your definition of an odd natural number for n = 1.

Second, you're writing what I would call rough notes. These do not form a logical argument.

Third, you haven't finished the proof. You've stopped half-way through.

To take the even case a step further:

Let ##y \in \mathbb{N}## be even. Then ##y = 2n## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##

(Now, do your rough notes off to one side, then come back with:

Let ##x = n - 1##

##x \in \mathbb{Z}## and ##f(x) = 2n = y##

That is a formal proof (of the even case). Do you see the difference?

I really appreciate the tips you are giving me! I'm just starting pure maths in uni and i need to become familiar with the procedures and formalism.

So is this a little better?

Let ##y \in \mathbb{N}## be even. Then ##y=2n## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##
And let ##x=n-1~~\text{with}~~x\in\mathbb{Z}##
##f(x)=2(n-1)+2=2n=y##

Let ##y \in \mathbb{N}## be odd. Then ##y=2n+1## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##
And let ##x=-n-1~~\text{with}~~x\in\mathbb{Z}##
##f(x)=-2(-n-1)-1=2n+1=y##

This shows that for every element of ##\mathbb{N}## there is a corresponding element of ##\mathbb{Z}## which f maps to it. Therefore f is a surjection of N onto Z.

Is the conclusion sufficient or must it be altered? Also is it a good idea to make the "rough notes" part of the proof or at least visible?

And regarding my definition of an odd number i would change it to;

Let ##y \in \mathbb{N}## be odd. Then ##y=2n-1## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##
And let ##x=-n~~\text{with}~~x\in\mathbb{Z}##
##f(x)=-2(-n)-1=2n-1=y##

Yes, much better.

A minor detail (I missed this too.) It's better to mention whether x is < 0 or not, so you know you're using the correct formula for f.

Let ##x = -n##

##x \in \mathbb{Z}, x < 0 \ \ and \ \ f(x) = -2(-n) -1 = 2n - 1 = y##

Re notes and proofs in general. You should ask your lecturers what they expect in an exam. What I do is work out the notes to one side then decide how much (if any) needs to be mentioned in the proof for clarity and justification.

A brief recap at the end of exactly what you've shown is often worthwhile.

If it is necessary to state the parity of x then does this mean there will be more cases I need to consider (i.e. if x<0 or x##\geq 0##)?

Also I could tighten up the conclusion by writing instead: "this shows that##~~\forall~ y~\in\mathbb{N}\exists x~\in~\mathbb{Z}:f(x)=y## which if anyone else typeset would look more aesthetically pleasing to the eye...

pondzo said:
If it is necessary to state the parity of x then does this mean there will be more cases I need to consider (i.e. if x<0 or x##\geq 0##)?

No. But the sign of x tells you which formula to use. So, this justifies why you used the formula in each case.

PeroK said:
No. But the sign of x tells you which formula to use. So, this justifies why you used the formula in each case.
Ahh yes of course, I forgot that ##n\in\mathbb{N}## and not ##n\in\mathbb{Z}##.
Thanks again for all your help PeroK.

Related to Proving a piece-wise defined function is bijective.

1. What is a piece-wise defined function?

A piece-wise defined function is a mathematical function that is defined differently for different intervals or "pieces" of the domain. This means that the function may have different rules or equations to follow depending on the input value.

2. How do you prove that a piece-wise defined function is bijective?

To prove that a piece-wise defined function is bijective, you must show that the function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This can be done by showing that each input value maps to a unique output value and that every output value has at least one corresponding input value.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove bijectivity of a piece-wise defined function?

Some common techniques include using algebraic manipulations, graphing the function, and using the horizontal line test. Additionally, you can break the function into smaller intervals and prove bijectivity for each interval separately.

4. Can a piece-wise defined function be bijective for some intervals but not others?

Yes, it is possible for a piece-wise defined function to be bijective for some intervals but not others. This is because the function may have different rules or equations for different intervals, and those rules may result in different mappings. It is important to check each interval separately when proving bijectivity.

5. Why is it important to prove that a piece-wise defined function is bijective?

Proving that a piece-wise defined function is bijective is important because it guarantees that the function has a well-defined inverse, which allows for easier solving of equations and better understanding of the function. Additionally, bijectivity ensures that the function has a one-to-one correspondence between the input and output values, which is important in many applications of mathematics.