Proving a Prime Divides a Polynomial Congruence?

• Thread starter talolard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in polynomial congruence, where it is required to prove that if p is a prime number, it divides A, where A satisfies a certain equation. The conversation explores different approaches and strategies for solving the problem, including using the Chinese Remainder Theorem and Euler's Theorem. Ultimately, the solution is found by noticing that the sum of the inverses of all nonzero elements in a finite field is equivalent to the sum of the elements themselves mod p. This leads to the conclusion that A is divisible by p.
talolard

Homework Statement

if p is prime, prove that p divides A, where A satisfis [tex]1+\frac{1}{2}+...+\frac{1}{p-1}=\frac{A}{\left(p-1\right)!} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The chinese remainder theorem? Eulers theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

So as the question marks imply, I'm at a loss as to how to start. The problem set is all about polynomial congruence and that's really as much as I've managed to figure out. A little nudge in the right direction would help a lot.
Thanks
Tal

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, first note A is an integer. Why? Then try to figure out what it is mod p. You'll find it useful that the nonzero integers mod p where p is a prime form a group under multiplication.

Last edited:
Maybe instead of a nudge i need a good shove. Here's what I've gotten

So [tex] A=\underset{i=1}{\overset{p-1}{\sum}}\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{i} [/tex] which is an integer.

Assume that [tex] A\equiv aMod(p) [/tex]

[tex] A=\underset{i=1}{\overset{p-1}{\sum}}\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{i}=\underset{\begin{array}{c}
i=1\\
i\neq a\end{array}}{\overset{p-1}{\sum}}\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{i}+\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{a}=a\left(\underset{\begin{array}{c}
i=1\\
i\neq a\end{array}}{\overset{p-1}{\sum}}\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{ai}\right)+\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{a}=\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{a}\left(1+a\underset{\begin{array}{c}
i=1\\
i\neq a\end{array}}{\overset{p-1}{\sum}}\frac{1}{i}\right)
[/tex]
And by the modulous [tex] p=r\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{a}\left(1+a\underset{\begin{array}{c}
i=1\\
i\neq a\end{array}}{\overset{p-1}{\sum}}\frac{1}{i}\right)+a=r\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{a}+r\underset{\begin{array}{c}
i=1\\
i\neq a\end{array}}{\overset{p-1}{\sum}}\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{i}+a
[/tex]
[tex]
r\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{a}+r\underset{\begin{array}{c}
i=1\\
i\neq a\end{array}}{\overset{p-1}{\sum}}\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{i}+a=a\left(1+\underset{\begin{array}{c}
i=1\\
i\neq a\end{array}}{\overset{p-1}{\sum}}\frac{r\left(p-1\right)!}{ia}\right)+r\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{a}
[/tex]
I'd like to show that a=0. I think this is too much brute force, I don't see the smart way to do this, in fact, this dumb way isn't working either.

The smart way is to notice you can get (p-1)!/k by multiplying instead. It's (p-1)!*(k)^(-1) where k^(-1) is the inverse of k mod p. Try an example, say mod 5. What's the sum of the inverses of all of the nonzero elements?

Don't know if this works ... Have not attended any course on number theory :X

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{p-1}\left( \frac{1}{i}\right) [/tex]

[tex]=\sum_{i=1}^{\frac{p-1}{2}}\left( \frac{p}{i\left( p-i\right) }\right) [/tex]

[tex]A=p\sum_{i=1}^{\frac{p-1}{2}}\frac{\left( p-1\right) !}{i\left( p-i\right) }
[/tex]

since [tex]\left( p-1\right) !\mid i\left( p-i\right) ,[/tex]

[tex]A=pk[/tex] k is some constant

It works, and that's one way to do it. But try a little harder to guide by giving hints, not solutions, ok? talolard should probably try to find an alternate solution that uses the notion of congruence.

Thanks for the responses.
Dick, I tried the approach that you proposed and I solved the problem but I think i used icystrikes argument.
Could you take a look and let me know if I could have used a more number theoritic arguemnt?
Thanks
Tal

By eulers theorem, the inverse of an element k is [tex]k^{p-2}.[/tex]

Then[tex] A=\sum\frac{\left(p-1\right)!}{k!}\equiv\left(p-1\right)!\sum k^{p-2}.[/tex] Since the set off all inverses in a finite field is the same as all members of the field. So

[tex]A\equiv\left(p-1\right)!\sum k . Now Z_{P}=\left\{ 1,2,...p-1\right\} . [/tex]

Index these we notice that [tex]a_{p-i}+a_{i}=p. [/tex]

Therefore[tex] \sum k=p\cdot\frac{\left|Z_{p}\right|}{2}. [/tex]
and so [tex]A\equiv\left(p-1\right)!\cdot p\cdot\frac{\left|Z_{p}\right|}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Oh, I think that's all right. For me the point was just that the sum 1/k mod p is the same as sum k mod p, since it's the sum of all the multiplicative inverses. How you show sum k mod p is zero mod p probably isn't that important. I would think of it as just saying if i is invertible then -i is invertible, so they cancel and the case i=(-i) doesn't happen if p>2.

Cool.
You passed the point along, thanks!
Tal

Related to Proving a Prime Divides a Polynomial Congruence?

1. What is a polynomial congruence?

A polynomial congruence is an equation that states that two polynomial expressions are congruent, meaning they have the same remainder when divided by a given number.

2. How is a polynomial congruence solved?

To solve a polynomial congruence, you can use the Chinese remainder theorem or modular arithmetic. It involves finding the solution for each polynomial expression and then combining them using the Chinese remainder theorem.

3. What are the applications of polynomial congruence?

Polynomial congruence is used in cryptography, specifically in the RSA encryption algorithm. It is also used in number theory and algebraic geometry.

4. What is the difference between polynomial congruence and polynomial equivalence?

Polynomial congruence involves finding solutions for two polynomial expressions that are congruent, while polynomial equivalence involves finding solutions for two polynomial expressions that are equal.

5. Can a polynomial congruence have multiple solutions?

Yes, a polynomial congruence can have multiple solutions depending on the modulus (the number used for division) and the degree of the polynomials involved.