Proving a solution exist? (mod p)

• Thread starter firefly767
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that x^2== a(mod p), one needs to show that there is a residue x^(p-1) such that x^2== a(mod p) for every residue of the multiplicative group. This can be done by considering p-1 residues, and showing that half of them are in one set and half in the other. Additionally, for every prime p there exists a polynomial i^2 that does not equal j^2 mod p.
firefly767
hi all,

i am wondering how to go about proofs such as the following:

1. if p is an odd prime, show that x^2== a(mod p) has a solution for exactly half the values of a between 1 and p-1 inclusive. if 1<=a<=p-1, and x^2 == a (mod p) has a solution show that it has exactly 2 congrence classes of solutions modulo p.

2. does x^3 == a (mod p) always have a solution for every value of a, when p is prime?

it'll be much appreciated you can also give me some tips as to the ways to approach proofs involving mod, congruence classes (one is exactly the other) etc... thanks in advance!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
We know by Fermat's Little Theorem, that x^(p-1) ==1 Mod p for all residues of the multiplicatie group. This handles p-1 cases. But we can factor for p odd, arriving at
x^(p-1)/2 -1 == 0 and x^((p-1)/2 ==1 Mod P.

Of the p-1 residues half are in one set, and half in the other since a polynominal of order n, Mod p can have no more than n roots, and here all the roots of the multiplicative group are present. The half of the form x^(p-1)/2 ==1 are quadratic residues.

1. Suppose a^2 = b^2 mod p. What can you deduce?

2. Try to see if that is possible by considering different primes p.

firefly767 said:
hi all,

i am wondering how to go about proofs such as the following:

1. if p is an odd prime, show that x^2== a(mod p) has a solution for exactly half the values of a between 1 and p-1 inclusive. if 1<=a<=p-1, and x^2 == a (mod p) has a solution show that it has exactly 2 congrence classes of solutions modulo p.

2. does x^3 == a (mod p) always have a solution for every value of a, when p is prime?

it'll be much appreciated you can also give me some tips as to the ways to approach proofs involving mod, congruence classes (one is exactly the other) etc... thanks in advance!:smile:
1. For i = 1 to (p-1)/2 show that i^2 == (p-i)^2
2 For i and j in the range <1 - (p-1)/2> show that i^2 <> j^2 mod p

You have to look at the group of units of the field [tex]\textbf{F}_{p} = \textbf{Z}/p\textbf{Z}[/tex]. For every prime [tex]{p}[/tex] the group [tex]\textbf{F}_{p}^{*}[/tex] (with respect to multiplication) is of order [tex]p - 1[/tex] and cyclic as well. Now it is easy to count squares and cubics. Tell me if you need more help.

Last edited:

Related to Proving a solution exist? (mod p)

1. How do you prove the existence of a solution modulo p?

To prove the existence of a solution, you must show that there is at least one value that satisfies the equation when taken modulo p. This can be done by finding a specific value that satisfies the equation or by using mathematical techniques such as the Chinese Remainder Theorem.

2. What is the importance of proving the existence of a solution modulo p?

Proving the existence of a solution modulo p is important in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, cryptography, and computer science. It allows for the verification of solutions to equations and the development of algorithms and protocols.

3. Can a solution exist for all values of p?

No, not all values of p will have a solution. For example, if the equation has a constant term that is not divisible by p, then there will be no solution for any value of p. Additionally, certain equations, such as x^2 ≡ -1 (mod p), do not have solutions for certain values of p.

4. How do you show that no solution exists for a given equation modulo p?

To show that no solution exists, you can use a proof by contradiction. Assume that a solution exists and then show that it leads to a contradiction. This proves that the assumption was false and therefore, no solution exists.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can help in proving the existence of a solution modulo p?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can aid in proving the existence of a solution modulo p, such as the Chinese Remainder Theorem, Fermat's Little Theorem, and Euler's Theorem. Additionally, using modular arithmetic and algebraic manipulations can also help in finding and proving solutions.