Proving a System of Equations: 3xy+y^2=-7 and x^2-2xy=30

In summary: Yes.Solve by substitution, I'll give you the first 1 (MODS PLEASE DON'T INFRACT ME I'M NOT GIVING HIM THE FULL ANSWER! < IF SOMETHING IS WRONG PLEASE PM ME NOT INFRACT :()2(3xy+y2=-7)3(-2xy+x2=30)=6xy+2y2=-14-6xy+6y2=90Add those 2 togetherThen you'll be left with 1 variable :p[b]2. In summary, the original poster tried to solve
evagelos

Homework Statement

How do we prove the system of the following equations??

1) [tex]3xy+y^2 =-7[/tex]

2) [tex] x^2-2xy = 30[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried by solving the 1st equation in terms y and then substituting into equation (2) but the problem got more complicated

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please post your working, because substitution seems like the only viable method.

[tex]2y^2 +3xy +7 =0[/tex] and solving for y we have:

[tex]y= \frac{-3x+\sqrt{9x^2-56}}{4}[/tex] or [tex]y=\frac{-3x-\sqrt{9x^2-56}}{4}[/tex]

Now we substitute for y in the 2nd equation and we get two equations:

[tex]x^2-2x\frac{-3x+\sqrt{9x^2-56}}{4}-30 =0[/tex]

......or........

[tex]x^2-2x\frac{-3x-\sqrt{9x^2-56}}{4}-30 =0[/tex]

This is the hardest way to proceed. First solve the first equation for x, or the second equation for y.

ehild

and then substitute in the 2nd equation??

evagelos said:

Yes.

Solve by substitution, I'll give you the first 1 (MODS PLEASE DON'T INFRACT ME I'M NOT GIVING HIM THE FULL ANSWER! < IF SOMETHING IS WRONG PLEASE PM ME NOT INFRACT :()

2(3xy+y2=-7)
3(-2xy+x2=30)
=
6xy+2y2=-14
-6xy+6y2=90
Add those 2 together
Then you'll be left with 1 variable :p

evagelos said:
1. Homework Statement

How do we prove the system of the following equations??

Sorry Cause I'm silly gringa...

Anyway back to the original problem

if you try to solve this regulary you get som very silly fractions...

Last edited by a moderator:
Susanne217 said:
something called the Jacobian Matrix

How is it related to the original problem?

ehild said:
This is the hardest way to proceed. First solve the first equation for x, or the second equation for y.

ehild

evagelos said:

rock.freak667 said:
Yes.

Thank ,it works out.

iRaid said:
Solve by substitution, I'll give you the first 1 (MODS PLEASE DON'T INFRACT ME I'M NOT GIVING HIM THE FULL ANSWER! < IF SOMETHING IS WRONG PLEASE PM ME NOT INFRACT :()

2(3xy+y2=-7)
3(-2xy+x2=30)
=
6xy+2y2=-14
-6xy+6y2=90
Add those 2 together
Then you'll be left with 1 variable :p
Well, only because you have changed [itex]x^2[/itex] to [itex]y^2[/itex] in the second equation!

You should have [itex]6xy+ 2y^2= -14[/itex] and [itex]-6xy+ 6x^2= 90[/itex]. Adding those two equations gives you [itex]6x^2+ 2y^2= 76[/itex]. You still have two variables.

evagelos said:
[tex]2y^2 +3xy +7 =0[/tex] and solving for y we have:

[tex]y= \frac{-3x+\sqrt{9x^2-56}}{4}[/tex] or [tex]y=\frac{-3x-\sqrt{9x^2-56}}{4}[/tex]

Now we substitute for y in the 2nd equation and we get two equations:

[tex]x^2-2x\frac{-3x+\sqrt{9x^2-56}}{4}-30 =0[/tex]

......or........

[tex]x^2-2x\frac{-3x-\sqrt{9x^2-56}}{4}-30 =0[/tex]

isn't there a mistake there? its [tex]y^2 +3xy +7 =0[/tex]

I have tried and tried for the last couple of weeks to try to solve this system using pre calculus tools and I always come up with that the two parts of the system do not intersect and there doesn't exist a commen set of fix points

I tried to draw a phase portrait in Maple and it does look like something interesting happens in and around the origin and that there asome asympotetes, but I can't get a userable solution :(

Maybe there is a mistake by the original poster?

I plotted the original equations in Mathematica, and there are in fact four solutions.

Solve the second equation for y:

[tex]y=\frac{x^2-30}{2x}[/tex]

Substitute into the first equation and simplify:

[tex]3x\frac{x^2-30}{2x}+\frac{(x^2-30)^2}{4x^2}=-7[/tex]

As x is not equal to 0, you can multiply the whole equation with 4x^2.

[tex]6x^2(x^2-30)+(x^2-30)^2=-28x^2[/tex]

By simplifying again, you get

[tex]7x^4-212x^2+900=0[/tex]

Solve for x^2.

[tex]x^2=\frac{106\pm \sqrt{4936}}{7}[/tex]

x1=5.02, y1=-0.48
x2=-5.02, y2=0.48
x3=2.26, y3=-5.51
x4=-2.26, y4=5.51

ehild

FAQ: Proving a System of Equations: 3xy+y^2=-7 and x^2-2xy=30

1. What is the purpose of proving a system of equations?

The purpose of proving a system of equations is to determine if a set of equations has a consistent solution or not. This is important in many fields of science, such as physics and chemistry, to ensure the accuracy of calculations and predictions.

2. How do I know if a system of equations is consistent?

A system of equations is consistent if it has at least one solution that satisfies all of the equations. In other words, the solution must make all of the equations true when substituted into them.

3. What are the steps for proving a system of equations?

The general steps for proving a system of equations are as follows:

• Write down all of the equations in the system.
  • Simplify the equations as much as possible.
  • Choose a variable to eliminate, and use it to create a new equation by combining two of the original equations.
  • Solve the new equation for one of the variables.
  • Substitute the solved variable into one of the original equations to solve for the other variable.
  • Check the solution by substituting the values back into all of the equations.

4. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one, many, or even infinite solutions. This depends on the specific equations and the number of variables in the system.

5. Is there a way to prove a system of equations without solving for the variables?

Yes, there are various methods for proving a system of equations without explicitly solving for the variables. These include substitution, elimination, and graphing techniques.