Proving Acosx+Bsinx=sqrt(A^2+B^2)sin(x+alpha) | Trig Proof Homework Help

• Thread starter blue mango
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Trig
In summary, the homework statement is to prove that Acosx+Bsinx=sqrt(A^2+B^2)sin(x+alpha) where tan(alpha)=A/B. None of the work so far has been successful, but sin(x+alpha)=sinx cos(alpha)+cosx sin(alpha) for any x.
blue mango

Homework Statement

prove that Acosx+Bsinx=sqrt(A^2+B^2)sin(x+alpha) where tan(alpha)=A/B

The Attempt at a Solution

none so far except that sin(x+alpha)=sinx cos(alpha)+cosx sin(alpha)

Any help is appreciated. This is due tomorrow (It was just assigned yesterday).
I've taken a year off school so I'm kind of out of the swing of stuff like this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start on the right side and see if you can show that it's equal to the left side. It might be useful to note that tan(alpha) = sin(alpha)/cos(alpha) = A/B = (A/sqrt(A^2 + B^2))/(B/sqrt(A^2 + B^2)).

I haven't worked this out, but that's where I would start.

blue mango said:

Homework Statement

prove that Acosx+Bsinx=sqrt(A^2+B^2)sin(x+alpha) where tan(alpha)=A/B

The Attempt at a Solution

none so far except that sin(x+alpha)=sinx cos(alpha)+cosx sin(alpha)
Thanks

Denoting sqrt(A^2+B^2)=C, you have the equation

Acosx + Bsinx =(C*sin(alpha))cos x +(C*cos(alpha))sinx This has to be an identity, valid for any x. If x=0, sinx=0, cosx=1,
A=C*sin(alpha). If x=pi/2, sinx=1, cosx=0, and B=C*cos(alpha).

So you have two equations for C and alpha:

A=C*sin(alpha)
B=C*cos(alpha)

Square both of equations and add the together. Use that cos2x+sin2x =1 what do you get for C?

Divide the first equation by the second one, what do you get for alpha?

ehild

ehild said:
Denoting sqrt(A^2+B^2)=C, you have the equation

Acosx + Bsinx =(C*sin(alpha))cos x +(C*cos(alpha))sinx

This has to be an identity, valid for any x.
But that's what the OP needs to show. He/she can't just assume that it is true for all x.
ehild said:
If x=0, sinx=0, cosx=1,
A=C*sin(alpha). If x=pi/2, sinx=1, cosx=0, and B=C*cos(alpha).

So you have two equations for C and alpha:

A=C*sin(alpha)
B=C*cos(alpha)

Square both of equations and add the together. Use that cos2x+sin2x =1 what do you get for C?

Divide the first equation by the second one, what do you get for alpha?

ehild

Mark, you start with the right side, I would start with the left one, and show that it can be written in the form of C*sin(x+alpha) (that means it is identical to C*sin(x+alpha)) for a certain C and alpha. If it comes out that C^2=A^2+B^2 and tan(alpha)=A/B it means that the left side is identical to the right side of the original equation that had to be proved.

ehild

thank you for your suggestions but I'm still a bit confused. It has been a long time since I've done stuff like this so its a bit harder for me to understand than usual. I'd appreciate if someone spelled out a few steps at least to get me started (if you don't mind) and hopefully I can figure out the rest. Thanks again.

Basically what you should do is to start from the left side, as ehild suggests, and work with Acosx + Bsinx to make it look like C(A/C *cosx + B/C*sin x). Then you want to write A/C as sin(alpha) and B/C as cos(alpha) so that you end up with Csin(x + alpha).

I GOT IT! Thank you so much...you were extraordinarily helpful :)

Related to Proving Acosx+Bsinx=sqrt(A^2+B^2)sin(x+alpha) | Trig Proof Homework Help

1. What is a trigonometric proof?

A trigonometric proof is a mathematical argument that uses the principles of trigonometry to demonstrate the truth of a statement or equation. It typically involves manipulating trigonometric functions and identities to show that both sides of the equation are equal.

2. Why are trig proofs important?

Trig proofs are important for several reasons. They help to deepen our understanding of the principles of trigonometry and how they relate to other mathematical concepts. They also serve as a foundation for more advanced mathematical topics, such as calculus and physics.

3. How do I approach a trig proof?

The best approach for a trig proof is to start by identifying the given information and what you are trying to prove. Then, use your knowledge of trigonometric identities and properties to manipulate the equations and solve for the unknown variables. Be patient and try different approaches until you find a solution.

4. What are some common trig identities used in proofs?

Some common trig identities used in proofs include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. It is important to have a strong understanding of these identities and how to apply them in order to successfully complete a trig proof.

5. Are there any tips for solving trig proofs?

Yes, here are a few tips for solving trig proofs:

• Start by drawing a diagram to visualize the given information
  • Use trigonometric identities and properties to manipulate the equations
  • Try to simplify the equations as much as possible
  • Look for patterns and connections between different parts of the proof
  • Practice, practice, practice! The more you work on trig proofs, the better you will become at solving them.