Proving an eigenfunction (EF) from Lx as combination of EF of Lz

No problem, just make sure to do your own research before asking for help. Good luck with your problem!
sunrah

Homework Statement

Show that the eigenfunction of Lx can be written as a combination of eigenfunctions from Lz with the same l but different m. Using the eigenfunction
[itex]Y_{x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(Y^{-1}_{1} - Y^{1}_{1})[/itex] as the eigenfunction of Lx

Homework Equations

[itex]Y^{m}_{l} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}e^{im\varphi}[/itex] eigenfunction of Lz
[itex]L_{z}Y^{m}_{l}= l Y^{m}_{l} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]Y_{x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(Y^{-1}_{1} - Y^{1}_{1}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}(e^{-i\varphi} - e^{i\varphi}) [/itex]

[itex]\widehat{L}_{x} = i \frac{h}{2\pi}(sin\theta \frac{d}{d\varphi} + cot\theta cos\varphi\frac{d}{d\varphi}) [/itex]

[itex]\widehat{L}_{x}Y_{x} = i \frac{h}{2\pi}cot\theta cos\varphi\frac{d}{d\varphi}\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}(e^{-i\varphi} - e^{i\varphi}) [/itex]

[itex]\widehat{L}_{x}Y_{x} = \frac{h}{2\pi}cot\theta cos\varphi\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}(e^{-i\varphi} + e^{i\varphi}) ≠ lY_{x} [/itex]

can't see where I'm going wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
sunrah said:

Homework Statement

Show that the eigenfunction of Lx can be written as a combination of eigenfunctions from Lz with the same l but different m. Using the eigenfunction
[itex]Y_{x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(Y^{-1}_{1} - Y^{1}_{1})[/itex] as the eigenfunction of Lx

Homework Equations

[itex]Y^{m}_{l} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}e^{im\varphi}[/itex] eigenfunction of Lz
The line above is your problem. ##e^{i m \varphi}## is an eigenfunction of Lz, but the spherical harmonic ##Y^m_l## is an eigenfunction of both Lz and L2.

[itex]L_{z}Y^{m}_{l}= l Y^{m}_{l} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]Y_{x} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(Y^{-1}_{1} - Y^{1}_{1}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}(e^{-i\varphi} - e^{i\varphi}) [/itex]

[itex]\widehat{L}_{x} = i \frac{h}{2\pi}(sin\theta \frac{d}{d\varphi} + cot\theta cos\varphi\frac{d}{d\varphi}) [/itex]

[itex]\widehat{L}_{x}Y_{x} = i \frac{h}{2\pi}cot\theta cos\varphi\frac{d}{d\varphi}\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}(e^{-i\varphi} - e^{i\varphi}) [/itex]

[itex]\widehat{L}_{x}Y_{x} = \frac{h}{2\pi}cot\theta cos\varphi\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}(e^{-i\varphi} + e^{i\varphi}) ≠ lY_{x} [/itex]

can't see where I'm going wrong

vela said:
The line above is your problem. ##e^{i m \varphi}## is an eigenfunction of Lz, but the spherical harmonic ##Y^m_l## is an eigenfunction of both Lz and L2.

Hi, should I be using

[itex]Y^{m}_{l} \propto P^{m}_{l}(cos\theta)e^{i m \varphi}[/itex] ?

Yes.

vela said:
Yes.

just to confirm is

[itex]P^{-1}_{1}(cos\theta) = cos\theta[/itex]

thanks!

No, that's not correct. Don't you have a list of spherical harmonics in your textbook? If not, just google it.

thank you no I wasn't aware of spherical harmonics, but i am now!

FAQ: Proving an eigenfunction (EF) from Lx as combination of EF of Lz

1. How do you prove that an eigenfunction (EF) of Lx is a combination of EFs of Lz?

The first step is to write out the eigenfunction for Lx and Lz in terms of their respective operators. Then, using the commutation relation [Lx,Lz] = iħLy, manipulate the equations to show that the EF of Lx can be expressed as a linear combination of EFs of Lz.

2. What is the significance of proving an EF of Lx as a combination of EFs of Lz?

This proof shows that the eigenfunctions of Lz are a complete set of basis functions for the space of states in which Lx has well-defined eigenvalues. This is important in quantum mechanics as it allows us to express any state of the system in terms of the known and understood eigenfunctions of Lz.

3. Can this proof be extended to other operators in quantum mechanics?

Yes, this proof can be extended to any set of operators that have a non-zero commutation relation. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. Are there any limitations to this proof?

This proof assumes that the operators Lx and Lz are Hermitian, which is a necessary condition for them to have well-defined eigenfunctions. Additionally, the proof may become more complex for operators with higher dimensions or more complicated commutation relations.

5. How does this proof relate to the physical interpretation of quantum mechanics?

This proof is heavily rooted in the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics, which is necessary for making predictions and calculations. However, the physical interpretation of quantum mechanics is still an area of ongoing research and debate among scientists.

Back