Proving an equation involving 4 real numbers

In summary, proving an equation involving 4 real numbers requires demonstrating equality between both sides of the equation using algebraic techniques. Common methods include substitution, factoring, and using the distributive property. An example of proving such an equation is substituting given values for the variables and showing that they satisfy the equation. It is possible for an equation involving 4 real numbers to have multiple solutions, and determining the truth or falsity of the equation depends on whether or not a set of values can be found that satisfy it.
Jadehaan

Homework Statement

This is the question followed my my attempt at the solution:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24154&stc=1&d=1267834532.png

Just wondering if this looks right?
Thanks for any and all feedback,
Jim

Attachments

• MTH CAPTURE.PNG
    MTH CAPTURE.PNG
    20.3 KB · Views: 679
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll let someone else check the proof, but I thought you might like to know that "...as desired. QED" is redundant. QED is an abbreviation for "quod erat demonstrandum", meaning "which was to be demonstrated".

The (hollow or solid) square symbol is more common nowadays, which I've heard is a pun on quod/quad, but I don't know if that's true.

FAQ: Proving an equation involving 4 real numbers

1. How do you prove an equation involving 4 real numbers?

Proving an equation involving 4 real numbers requires showing that both sides of the equation are equal. This can be done by manipulating the equation using algebraic properties and operations.

2. What are some common techniques for proving an equation involving 4 real numbers?

Some common techniques for proving an equation involving 4 real numbers include substitution, factoring, and using the distributive property. It is also important to keep track of any restrictions on the variables in the equation.

3. Can you provide an example of proving an equation involving 4 real numbers?

For example, if we have the equation 2x + y = 10 and we want to prove that x = 3 and y = 4 satisfy the equation, we can substitute x = 3 and y = 4 into the equation to get 2(3) + (4) = 6 + 4 = 10, which satisfies the equation.

4. Is it possible for an equation involving 4 real numbers to have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an equation involving 4 real numbers to have multiple solutions. This means that there are different combinations of values for the variables that satisfy the equation.

5. How do you know if an equation involving 4 real numbers is true or false?

If you can find at least one set of values for the variables that satisfies the equation, then the equation is considered to be true. However, if you cannot find any values that satisfy the equation, then it is considered to be false.

Back