Proving an extension is simple

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extension
In summary, to show that Q(b,c) = Q(a), it is necessary to prove that b and c are elements of Q(a). This can be done by using basic algebra on the powers of a = b*c. Since [Q(a):Q(c)] = 3 and [Q(a):Q(b)] = 4, it follows that [Q(a):Q) = 12. However, using the method of taking (a+b)^2 all the way up to (a+b)^n-1 could become messy due to the degree being 12. Therefore, another approach should be considered.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let c be a primitive 3rd root of unity in the complex numbers and b be the real root of x^4-2=0. If a = c*b, show that Q(b,c) = Q(a)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So [Q(a):Q(c)]=3 and [Q(a):Q(b)]=4, and c and b contain no 'overlapping material', so [Q(a):Q)=12.

The usual way I prove things are a simple extension is by starting off by taking (a+b)^2 all the way up to (a+b)^n-1 where n i the deg(a)*deb(b) and then playing around with these expressions trying to come up with a way to get either a or b by itself as to show that a and b are elements of Q(a+b).

Since the degree here is 12, things could get quite messy if I use that method. Is there another way to look at this?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Let c be a primitive 3rd root of unity in the complex numbers and b be the real root of x^4-2=0. If a = c*b, show that Q(b,c) = Q(a)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So [Q(a):Q(c)]=3 and [Q(a):Q(b)]=4, and c and b contain no 'overlapping material', so [Q(a):Q)=12.

The usual way I prove things are a simple extension is by starting off by taking (a+b)^2 all the way up to (a+b)^n-1 where n i the deg(a)*deb(b) and then playing around with these expressions trying to come up with a way to get either a or b by itself as to show that a and b are elements of Q(a+b).

Since the degree here is 12, things could get quite messy if I use that method. Is there another way to look at this?
I would not use a statement like "no overlapping material". This actually shouts for an explanation and contains every flaw, if there is one. Furthermore, I think ##[ \mathbb{Q}(a) \, : \, \mathbb{Q}(c) ] = 4## and ##[ \mathbb{Q}(a) \, : \, \mathbb{Q}(b) ] = 3##.

Since ##\mathbb{Q}(a) = \mathbb{Q}(b \cdot c) \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(b,c)## it only has to be shown, that ##\, b\, , \,c \in \mathbb{Q}(a)##.
A little basic algebra on the powers of ##a=b \cdot c## should do.

Related to Proving an extension is simple

What is a simple extension?

A simple extension is a mathematical concept where a mathematical structure is extended with new elements that do not change the properties of the original structure. In other words, a simple extension preserves the properties of the original structure while adding new elements.

Why is it important to prove an extension is simple?

Proving that an extension is simple is important because it ensures that the new elements added to the structure do not alter its fundamental properties. This is crucial in mathematics to maintain the consistency and integrity of mathematical structures and their applications.

How can one prove an extension is simple?

There are various methods for proving an extension is simple, depending on the specific structure being extended. Some common techniques include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. The choice of method often depends on the complexity of the structure and the properties being preserved.

What are some examples of simple extensions?

Examples of simple extensions include adding new numbers to the real number system, such as imaginary numbers or complex numbers, without changing the properties of real numbers. Another example is extending a field by adding a root to a polynomial without changing the field's algebraic properties.

What are the applications of simple extensions?

Simple extensions have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, simple extensions of fields are used in cryptography, coding theory, and signal processing. In physics, they are used in the study of vector spaces and their applications in quantum mechanics and relativity theory.