Proving an Odd Function: ln(x+√(1+x²))

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the function f(x) is ln(x+√(1+x^2)) and it can be proven to be an odd function by showing that -f(x) = ln(-x+√(1+x^2)). This is done by computing -f(x) and showing that it is equal to the original function, therefore proving that f(x) is odd.
Yankel
Hello,

How do I prove that this function:

\[f(x)=ln(x+\sqrt{1+x^{2}})\]

is an odd function ?

It is clear to me that it is odd, I tried the usual way of checking if a function is even or odd, by looking at f(-x), but it just got me to where x is changing sign while the square root isn't, it there a logarithms rule I am missing here ?

Thank you !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$f(-x) = \ln(-x+\sqrt{1+(-x)^2}) = \ln(-x+\sqrt{1+x^2})$$
Let us compute $-f(x)$:
$$-f(x) = - \ln(x+\sqrt{1+x^2}) = \ln\left(\frac{1}{x+\sqrt{1+x^2}}\right) = \ln\left[\frac{x-\sqrt{1+x^2}}{(x+\sqrt{1+x^2})(x-\sqrt{1+x^2})}\right]$$
$$= \ln\left(-x+\sqrt{1+x^2}\right)$$

Hence, $f(x)$ is odd.

FAQ: Proving an Odd Function: ln(x+√(1+x²))

1. What is an odd function?

An odd function is a mathematical function that satisfies the property f(-x) = -f(x). This means that when the input value is negated, the output value is also negated.

2. How do you prove that a function is odd?

To prove that a function is odd, you can substitute -x for x in the function and see if the resulting expression is equal to -f(x). If it is, then the function is odd.

3. What is the function ln(x+√(1+x²))?

The function ln(x+√(1+x²)) is a logarithmic function that takes the natural log of the expression x+√(1+x²). This function is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

4. How do you prove that ln(x+√(1+x²)) is an odd function?

To prove that ln(x+√(1+x²)) is an odd function, you can substitute -x for x in the function and simplify the resulting expression. If the simplified expression is equal to -ln(x+√(1+x²)), then the function is odd.

5. What is the significance of proving that ln(x+√(1+x²)) is an odd function?

Proving that ln(x+√(1+x²)) is an odd function is important because it allows us to use properties of odd functions to simplify and solve equations involving this function. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of this function and its relationship to other mathematical concepts.