Proving Basic Exponent Properties for a Group

In summary, when proving the properties of exponents for elements in a group, it is possible to use induction on both positive and negative integers. For negative integers, one can set n = -v for some v in the natural numbers and use the standard recursive definition of exponents to show that the properties hold. Alternatively, one can use induction on negative integers separately by showing that if the properties hold for n, then they also hold for n-1.
middleCmusic
When proving that [itex]x^m x^n = x^{m+n} [/itex] and that [itex] (x^m)^n = x^{mn} [/itex] for all elements [itex]x[/itex] in a group, it's easy enough to show that they hold for all [itex]m \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex] and for all [itex] n \in \mathbb{N} [/itex] using induction on [itex]n[/itex]. The case [itex] n = 0 [/itex] is also very easy. But how does one prove this for [itex] n \in \mathbb{Z}^{-} [/itex]?

I tried to do it by using the fact that [itex] n = - \nu [/itex] for some [itex] \nu \in \mathbb{N} [/itex], but this didn't get me anywhere. Do you have to do induction on the negative integers separately? I'm sure there's a simple answer to this question that I'm just not seeing.

Note that I'm working with the standard recursive definition of exponents, and the definition [itex] x^{-n} = (x^{-1})^n [/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update: I think I figured it out. I'd still appreciate a simpler way, if anyone has one.

For a negative integer [itex] n [/itex], set [itex] n = - \nu [/itex] as before.
Then
[tex]
\begin{align}
x^m x^n
&= x^m x^{- \nu} \\
&= x^m (x^{-1})^{\nu} \\
&= ((x^{-1})^{-1})^m (x^{-1})^{\nu} \tag*{since $x = (x^{-1})^{-1}$} \\
&= (x^{-1})^{-m} (x^{-1})^{\nu} \tag*{by the definition of negative exponents} \\
&= (x^{-1})^{-m+\nu} \tag*{by the rule for positive exponents}\\
&= (x^{-1})^{-(m+ (-\nu))}\\
&= (x^{-1})^{-(m+n)} \\
&= ((x^{-1})^{-1})^{m+n} \\
&= x^{m+n} \tag*{since $x = (x^{-1})^{-1}$}
\end{align}
[/tex]

Last edited:
If you liked induction for positive n you can do induction for negative n also. Show if it holds for n, then it holds for n-1 as well

FAQ: Proving Basic Exponent Properties for a Group

1. What are the basic exponent properties for a group?

The basic exponent properties for a group include the product rule, power rule, and quotient rule. The product rule states that when multiplying two exponential expressions with the same base, the exponents are added. The power rule states that when raising an exponential expression to a power, the exponents are multiplied. The quotient rule states that when dividing two exponential expressions with the same base, the exponents are subtracted.

2. How do you prove the product rule for exponents in a group?

To prove the product rule for exponents in a group, you can use the definition of a group and the properties of multiplication. Let a and b be elements of the group and n and m be integers. Then, (ab)^n = a^n * b^n. This can be extended to include negative exponents and fractional exponents.

3. Is the power rule always applicable in a group?

Yes, the power rule is always applicable in a group. This is because the definition of a group includes closure under multiplication, meaning that the product of any two elements in the group will also be an element in the group. Therefore, raising an element to any power will still result in an element within the group.

4. How can the quotient rule be derived for exponents in a group?

The quotient rule can be derived by using the definition of a group and the properties of division. Let a and b be elements of the group and n and m be integers. Then, (a/b)^n = a^n / b^n. This can be extended to include negative exponents and fractional exponents.

5. Are there any other properties of exponents that can be proven for a group?

Yes, in addition to the product, power, and quotient rules, other properties of exponents can be proven for a group. These include the negative exponent rule, which states that a^-n = 1/a^n, and the zero exponent rule, which states that a^0 = 1 for all a in the group. These properties can be derived using the properties of multiplication and division in a group.