Proving Bijection Between X and Y: Tips & Examples

• Thread starter estra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bijection
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that R ⊂ X x Y is a bijection between sets X and Y, given the conditions R-1R= I: X→X and RR-1=I: Y→Y. The speaker asks for help understanding how to define R-1 without assuming R is a bijection, and others suggest using specific notation and definitions to prove the equality of R-1R and RR-1.
estra
Prove that R ⊂ X x Y is a bijection between the sets X and Y, when R−1R= I: X→X and RR-1=I: Y→Y

Set theory is a quite a new lesson for me. So I am not good at proving different connections, but please give me a little help with what to start and so.. I have read the book and I know what bijection means but just..
I would be very very thankful. Getting a good example proof or just some tips what to do would improve my skills also I hope :)

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define [tex]R^{-1}[/tex] without assuming R is a bijection (and thus has an inverse)?

I only know that if R ⊂ X x Y then R-1 ⊂ Y x X
or: (y,x)[tex]\in[/tex]R-1 [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] (x,y) [tex]\in[/tex] R

But that is undefined for specific y if there is no pair with that y in the second position.

And it is not uniquely defined if there is more than one pair with that y in the second position.

OK. Let's assume that R [tex]\subset[/tex] X x Y is a bijection between X and Y.
Then we also have to have R-1. What is R-1 ⊂ Y x X
when i: X → X then (x,y)[tex]\in[/tex]R has to be written (f(x),x) [tex]\in[/tex] R and x [tex]\in[/tex] X and also (f-1)y,y [tex]\in[/tex] R and x [tex]\in[/tex] X.
but how to show that R-1R=I abd RR-1=I ?
or do we have to write R={(x,x)| x[tex]\in[/tex]R } R-1={(x,x)| x[tex]\in[/tex] R} and
R={(y,y)| y[tex]\in[/tex]R } R-1={(y,y)| y[tex]\in[/tex]R }

please somebody help me here :)
Thank you!

OK. Let's assume that R [tex]\subset[/tex] X x Y is a bijection between X and Y.
Then we also have to have R-1. What is R-1 ⊂ Y x X
when i: X → X then (x,y)[tex]\in[/tex]R has to be written (f(x),x) [tex]\in[/tex] R and x [tex]\in[/tex] X and also (f-1)y,y [tex]\in[/tex] R and x [tex]\in[/tex] X.
but how to show that R-1R=I abd RR-1=I ?
or do we have to write R={(x,x)| x[tex]\in[/tex]R } R-1={(x,x)| x[tex]\in[/tex] R} and
R={(y,y)| y[tex]\in[/tex]R } R-1={(y,y)| y[tex]\in[/tex]R }

please somebody help me here :)
Thank you!

Related to Proving Bijection Between X and Y: Tips & Examples

1. What is bijection and why is it important?

Bijection is a mathematical function that establishes a one-to-one correspondence between two sets. It is important because it ensures that every element in one set has a unique counterpart in the other set, allowing for a clear relationship between the two sets.

2. How do you prove bijection between two sets?

To prove bijection between two sets, you must show both injectivity and surjectivity. Injectivity means that each element in the first set maps to a unique element in the second set, while surjectivity means that every element in the second set has a corresponding element in the first set.

3. What are some tips for proving bijection?

One tip is to start by assuming that the function is injective and then show that it is also surjective. Another tip is to use counterexamples, where you can provide a specific example that disproves the function's bijection property. Additionally, breaking down the proof into smaller steps and using visual aids can also be helpful.

4. Can you provide an example of proving bijection?

Yes, for example, we can prove bijection between the set of positive even numbers (X) and the set of natural numbers (Y) by defining the function f(x) = x/2. This function is injective because each even number in X maps to a unique number in Y (ex: 4 maps to 2, 6 maps to 3, etc.), and it is surjective because every natural number has a corresponding even number (ex: 2 maps to 4, 3 maps to 6, etc.). Therefore, f(x) is a bijection between X and Y.

5. What is the significance of proving bijection between two sets?

Proving bijection between two sets is significant because it establishes a clear relationship between the two sets and allows for a better understanding of their elements. It also ensures that the two sets have the same cardinality, or number of elements, which is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.