Proving Borel Set B: Summation of Borel Functions and Lebesgue Measure Y

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the set B = {x: \sum_n f_n(x) is not convergent} is a Borel set, given that \int_R |F_n|dY \leq 1/n^2 for every n. The conversation also mentions the use of Lebesgue measure Y and the attempt to prove that Y(B) = 0 by showing lim_n Y(f^{-1}_{n}[x]) -> 0 for every x \neq 0. However, the proof using simple functions did not yield any points.
hellbike
let [tex]f_n[/tex] be series of borel functions. Explain why set B = {x: [tex]\sum_n f_n(x)[/tex] is not convergent} is borel set.

Proof, that if[tex]\int_R |F_n|dY \leq 1/n^2[/tex] for every n then Y(B) = 0.Y is lebesgue measure.for first part i thought that set of A={x: convergent} is borel, and B=X\A so it's also borel, but i got 0 points, so I'm wrong.

for second part - it seems quite obvious for me that for every [tex]x \neq 0[/tex]
[tex]lim_n Y(f^{-1}_{n}[x])->0[/tex] and i think proving this would be enough.
I tried doing this using simple functions, but got 0 points.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part, the problem is likely that you didn't show why the set of points where [tex](f_n)[/tex] converges should be a Borel set. It's not completely obvious.

and for the second part?

FAQ: Proving Borel Set B: Summation of Borel Functions and Lebesgue Measure Y

What is measure theory and why is it important?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of measuring sets and assigning a numerical value to them. It is important because it provides a rigorous framework for understanding and analyzing the properties of sets and their measures, which have applications in various fields such as probability, statistics, and analysis.

What are the basic concepts in measure theory?

The basic concepts in measure theory include sets, measures, and measurable functions. Sets refer to collections of elements, measures assign a numerical value to sets, and measurable functions are functions that preserve the measure of sets.

What is the difference between Lebesgue measure and Riemann integral?

The main difference between Lebesgue measure and Riemann integral is the way they handle discontinuous functions. Lebesgue measure can handle discontinuous functions, while Riemann integral cannot. This makes Lebesgue measure a more general and powerful tool in measure theory.

What are some common applications of measure theory?

Measure theory has a wide range of applications in various fields such as probability, statistics, analysis, and physics. In probability and statistics, it is used to define probability measures and to study random variables. In analysis, it is used to define and study integrals and derivatives. In physics, it is used to describe physical quantities and their measurements.

What are some challenging problems in measure theory?

Some challenging problems in measure theory include the Hahn-Banach theorem, the Banach-Tarski paradox, and the Borel conjecture. These problems involve advanced concepts and require a deep understanding of measure theory to solve.