Proving C(AB) = C(A) with Orthogonal Complement and Matrix Multiplication

In summary: I am not sure, but here is a summary: In summary, the question is asking to show that the column space of the product of two matrices A and B is equal to the column space of A, given that the orthogonal complement of the row space of A and the column space of B span the entire column space of A. The asker is unsure of how to proceed with this problem.
samuelr0750

Homework Statement

R(M) and C(M) are the row and column spaces of M.
Let A be an nxp matrix, and B be a bxq matrix.
Show that C(AB) = C(A) when the orthogonal complement of R(A) + C(B) = R^p (i.e. the orthogonal complement of R(A) and C(B) span R^p).

Homework Equations

I know that the orthogonal complement of R(A) is the null spaceo f A.
I also know that C(X'X) = C(X') but that doesn't help

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to go... thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
samuelr0750 said:

Homework Statement

R(M) and C(M) are the row and column spaces of M.
Let A be an nxp matrix, and B be a bxq matrix.
Show that C(AB) = C(A) when the orthogonal complement of R(A) + C(B) = R^p (i.e. the orthogonal complement of R(A) and C(B) span R^p).
Are you sure you stated the question correctly? If ##A## is ##n \times p## and ##B## is ##b \times q##, then the product ##AB## isn't even defined unless ##p = b##.

I"m sorry, i meant A is nxp and B is p xq.

By "orthogonal complement of R(A) + C(B)" do you mean ##R(A)^{\perp} + C(B)##, or something else?

FAQ: Proving C(AB) = C(A) with Orthogonal Complement and Matrix Multiplication

1. What is the definition of an orthogonal complement in linear algebra?

The orthogonal complement of a subspace V is the set of all vectors in the same vector space that are orthogonal (perpendicular) to every vector in V. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that are perpendicular to the subspace V.

2. How is the orthogonal complement related to matrix multiplication?

The orthogonal complement of a subspace V can be represented by the null space of the transpose of the matrix that spans V. This means that the orthogonal complement can be found by solving a system of equations using matrix multiplication and finding the null space of the resulting matrix.

3. What is the formula for proving C(AB) = C(A) using orthogonal complement and matrix multiplication?

The formula for proving C(AB) = C(A) using orthogonal complement and matrix multiplication is (AB)ᵀ = Aᵀ. This means that the transpose of the product of matrices AB is equal to the transpose of matrix A. By using the properties of the orthogonal complement, we can show that the columns of A and AB have the same span, thus proving C(AB) = C(A).

4. Why is proving C(AB) = C(A) important in linear algebra?

Proving C(AB) = C(A) is important because it helps us understand the relationship between matrix multiplication and the span of a subspace. It also allows us to simplify complex calculations and make connections between different concepts in linear algebra.

5. Can the formula for proving C(AB) = C(A) be applied to other types of matrices?

Yes, the formula for proving C(AB) = C(A) can be applied to any type of matrix, as long as they can be multiplied together. This includes square matrices, non-square matrices, and even matrices with complex numbers. As long as the dimensions are compatible for multiplication, the formula can be used to prove the equality of column spans.

Back