Proving Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality: My Dumb Question

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to prove the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality without using a book. The speaker starts by noting an inequality involving an arbitrary complex number t and realizes that the proof requires choosing the right t. They then choose t in a way that leads to the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. However, they realize that by choosing a much larger t, they can make the inequality as small as they want, which cannot be true. After some further discussion and a mistake being pointed out, the speaker realizes their error and thanks the other person for their help.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have to ask a dumb question. I seem to be doing something very wrong here, and it's probably trivial, but for some reason I don't see what it is. I decided to try to prove the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality without opening a book. I remember that a proof I read once started by noting that

[tex]0\leq(x+ty,x+ty)=||x||^2+2 Re (t(x,y))+||y||^2[/tex]

t is an arbitrary complex number. From here on it's supposed to be about choosing the right t. The inequality above is obviously satisfied when Re(t(x,y))>0, so let's choose Arg t so that it's negative instead.

We get

[tex]0\leq||x||^2-2|t||(x,y)|+||y||^2[/tex]

or equivalently

[tex]|(x,y)|\leq\frac{1}{2|t|}(||x||^2+||y||^2)[/tex]

Now if we choose

[tex]|t|=\frac{||x||^2+||y||^2}{2||x||||y||}[/tex]

the inequality above turns into the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.

Here's my dumb question: By choosing |t| much larger, I can make |(x,y)| as small as I want, and this implies that (x,y)=0 for arbitrary x and y! This obviously can't be true, I must have done something wrong. What's my mistake?

By the way, is there a better way to write the norm in LaTeX?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fredrik said:
[tex](x+ty,x+ty)=||x||^2+2 Re (t(x,y))+||y||^2[/tex]
It's here!

[tex](x+ty,x+ty)=(x,x)+t(x,y)+t^*(y,x)+(y,y)[/tex]

[tex]=||x||^2+t(x,y)+(t(x,y))^*+||y||^2=||x||^2+2 Re (t(x,y))+||y||^2[/tex]

Fredrik said:
[tex](x+ty,x+ty)=(x,x)+t(x,y)+t^*(y,x)+(y,y)[/tex]
(x+ty,x+ty) = (x,x) + (x,ty) + (ty,x) + (ty,ty)

D'oh...and LOL. Thanks. I don't know how I could stare at it for like an hour and not see it.

Related to Proving Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality: My Dumb Question

1. What is Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Bunyakovsky-Schwarz inequality, is a mathematical inequality that states the relationship between two vectors in an inner product space. It is commonly used in various fields of mathematics, including linear algebra, calculus, and functional analysis.

2. Why is Cauchy-Schwarz inequality important?

Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is important because it provides a fundamental tool for proving various mathematical theorems and inequalities. It is also widely used in optimization problems and in the study of geometric shapes and their properties.

3. What is the proof of Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The proof of Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is based on the concept of inner product and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for real numbers. It involves using the properties of inner product, such as linearity, symmetry, and positive definiteness, to show that the inequality holds for any two vectors in an inner product space.

4. What are some applications of Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

Cauchy-Schwarz inequality has a wide range of applications in mathematics and other fields. In linear algebra, it is used to prove the triangle inequality and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for matrices. In calculus, it is used to prove the Cauchy-Schwarz integral inequality. It is also used in probability theory, statistics, and signal processing.

5. Are there any generalizations of Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

Yes, there are several generalizations of Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, including the Hölder's inequality, Minkowski's inequality, and the Cauchy-Schwarz-Minkowski inequality. These generalizations extend the concept of inner product to other mathematical structures, such as normed spaces and Banach spaces, and provide more powerful tools for solving various mathematical problems.