Proving Cauchy Sequences: Infinite Subsequences

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that any infinite subsequence of a Cauchy sequence is also a Cauchy sequence equivalent to the original sequence. The definition of a Cauchy sequence is that the absolute difference between any two terms approaches 0 as the terms approach infinity. To show equivalence, it must also be proven that the sequences converge to the same limit. However, it is only necessary to prove the second statement because a convergent sequence is also a Cauchy sequence. The method discussed involves showing that the difference between the two sequences is a null sequence.
clg211
Hi,

I need to prove that any infinite subsequence {xnk}of a Cauchy sequence {xn}is a Cauchy sequence equivalent to {xn}.

My problem is that it seemed way too easy, so I'm concerned that I missed something. Please see the attachment for my solution, and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Problem 45.png
    Problem 45.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of "Cauchy" sequence is that |an- am| goes to 0 as m and n go to infinity, independently. That can be stated as "Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist N such that if m> N and n> N, then [itex]|a_n- a_m|< \epsilon[/itex]. If an and am are from a subsequence, then they are also in the original sequence so that must be true.

Showing that the two sequences are "equivalent" means showing that the converge to the same limit. Again, if {an} converges to L, then, for any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist N such that if n> N then [itex]|a_n- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. If an is from a subsequence, it is from the sequence and so that is still true.

Strictly speaking, you only need to prove the second because any convergent sequence is a Cauchy sequence.

For the the equivalence part, I want to show that the difference of the Cauchy sequence and its subsequence is a null sequence. Let xn and xnk exist in the Cauchy sequence where xnk is also an element in the subsequence. Therefore, |xn - xnk| < epsilon for n, nk < N, so Cauchy sequence - subsequence is null. Sound legitimate? Just seems too simple.

I hear where you're coming from with the limits being the same for equivalence, but we're supposed to use the "difference is null" definition.

Related to Proving Cauchy Sequences: Infinite Subsequences

1. What is a Cauchy Sequence?

A Cauchy Sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any small positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within that distance of each other.

2. What is the significance of Cauchy Sequences?

Cauchy Sequences are important in the field of analysis and calculus because they are used to define the concept of a limit. They provide a rigorous mathematical foundation for the concept of convergence, which is essential in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. How is a Cauchy Sequence proved?

A Cauchy Sequence can be proved using the Cauchy Criterion, which states that a sequence is a Cauchy Sequence if and only if for any small positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within that distance of each other. This criterion can be applied to any sequence and if it holds, the sequence is proven to be a Cauchy Sequence.

4. What is the difference between a Cauchy Sequence and a convergent sequence?

A Cauchy Sequence is a type of convergent sequence, but not all convergent sequences are Cauchy Sequences. A convergent sequence is one in which the terms approach a limit as the sequence progresses, while a Cauchy Sequence is one in which the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. In other words, a Cauchy Sequence is a stricter definition of convergence.

5. Can a Cauchy Sequence be divergent?

No, a Cauchy Sequence cannot be divergent. If a sequence is not convergent, it cannot be a Cauchy Sequence. This is because the Cauchy Criterion requires the terms of the sequence to get closer and closer together, which cannot happen if the sequence is divergent.