Proving Complex Mapping: f(z) Maps Real Axis to Circle of Radius 1

In summary, the complex function f(z) = (z + conj(a))/(z + a) maps the real axis onto the circle lwl = 1, where z = x and a = p + iq. This can be proven by substituting z = x into f(z) and showing that the resulting function always has a magnitude of 1, regardless of the values of x, p, and q.
handiman

Homework Statement

Let a be a complex number for which Im(a) ≠ 0, and f(z) = (z + conj(a))/(z + a).

Prove f(z) maps the real axis onto the circle lwl = 1.

2. The attempt at a solution

I wrote out f(z) in an a+bi for and then with the Im(a) ≠ 0 I set the equation as

f(a+bi) = (a+a0-ib)/(a+a0+ib).

I made a substitution let d = (a+a0+ib) and conj(d) = (a+a0-ib)

This gave me d/conj(d). I have exhausted all of the identities I could remember/find and I see no path leading this line of thinking to a circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]z = a + bi, \quad a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], then what is the formula for all the points on the real axis in terms of z? Plug that into f(z) and argue it is the form of a circle.

Edit: I just realized there is a point a in the problem, perhaps it would be better to write out [itex]z = x + yi, \quad x,y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]

Edit2: This turns out to be a big algebra problem once you plug in for z. It works out nicely so don't get scared by all of the factors that appear.

Last edited:
I thought I had gotten to the point of it being a big algebra problem but the wall I am hitting is what to do to it. Is there some way to connect conj(z)/z to the unit circle?

I'm not sure how you got [itex]\frac{\bar{z}}{z}[/itex]. Can you show your work?

Can you answer the first part of my question:

If [itex]z=x+yi, \quad x,y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], then what is the formula for all the points on the real axis in terms of z? Plug that into [itex]f(z)[/itex] and argue it is the form of a circle.

I will try.

the iy term is zero because the inputs are on the real axis.

f(x+iy) = x+a0-ib0/x+a0+ib0

Let x+a0+ib0 be d
Let x+a0-ib0 be conj(d)

then I end up with conj(d)/d

if there is an error in the logic I apologize. I am fairly new to this subject matter.

Okay, first of all. I know it's too late to answer but I believe I got it.

Let z=x+iy,a=p+iq and w=u+iv
But on a real line, z=x (y=0 is the line)
Hence z = x
w=u+iv=f(z)=f(x+i0)=f(x)

=[itex]\frac{x+p-iq}{x+p+iq}[/itex]

Now as you can see (and also prove) that |w|=1 no matter what x,p and q are.

Related to Proving Complex Mapping: f(z) Maps Real Axis to Circle of Radius 1

1. What is a complex mapping proof?

A complex mapping proof is a mathematical technique used to show the relationship between two complex functions. It involves demonstrating that the output of one complex function can be transformed into the output of another complex function through a specific mapping.

2. How is a complex mapping proof different from a regular proof?

A complex mapping proof specifically deals with complex functions, which involve both real and imaginary components. This adds an additional layer of complexity compared to regular proofs, which deal with only real numbers.

3. What are some common techniques used in complex mapping proofs?

Some common techniques used in complex mapping proofs include showing the equivalence of two complex expressions, using the properties of complex numbers, and applying transformation rules.

4. Why are complex mapping proofs important?

Complex mapping proofs are important in understanding the behavior and relationships of complex functions. They allow us to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some challenges in conducting a complex mapping proof?

Conducting a complex mapping proof can be challenging due to the complex nature of the functions involved. It requires a strong understanding of complex numbers and their properties, as well as the ability to think abstractly and creatively. Additionally, finding the appropriate mapping can be a difficult and time-consuming process.