Proving Continuity of a Function Using the Definition of Differentiability

In summary, the problem asks to prove that a given function f is continuous on (0, inf) if and only if it is continuous at 1. The forward direction is straightforward, but for the backwards direction, we need to show that f(x) approaches f(a) as x approaches a for any a in (0, inf). By manipulating the given equation, f(x) - f(a) = f(x/a), we can show that f(x) approaches f(a) as x approaches a. This is done by taking the limit as x approaches a and noting that x/a approaches 1 as x approaches a. This proof does not require knowledge of the log function.
sinClair

Homework Statement

Suppose f:(0,[tex]\infty[/tex])->R and f(x)-f(y)=f(x/y) for all x,y in (0,[tex]\infty[/tex]) and f(1)=0. Prove f is continuous on (0,[tex]\infty[/tex]) iff f is continuous at 1.

Homework Equations

I think I ought to use these defn's of continuity: f continuous at a iff f(x)->f(a) as x->a
or f is cont at a iff for Xn->a, f(Xn)-f(a) as Xn->[tex]\infty[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The forward direction is immediate. For the backwards direction, we want to show that f(x)->f(a) as x->a for a in (0,[tex]\infty[/tex]). So since f cont at 1, f(x)->f(1)=0 as x->1. I tried to manipulate this but couldn't find a way to make x->a instead of x->1.

Then I used the other definition and let Xn=1+1/n and Yn=a(Xn)=a+(a/n). Now Yn->a so just want to show that f(Yn)->f(a) as n->[tex]\infty[/tex]. But f(Yn)->a*0=0 as n->[tex]\infty[/tex]...

I know I have to use f(x)-f(y)=f(x/y) somehow. So I went backwards: So I want to show that f(x)-f(a)->0 as x->a. So that means I want f(x/a)->0 as x->a. But now I don't see how to incorporate the fact that f is continuous at a.I know this is related to the log function but don't think this problem requires me to appeal that fact... Note Xn and Yn are sequences indexed by n (I'm noob at this latex).Thanks for helping.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
take any a in (0, inf), then a !=0 so x/a makes sense and we have f(x) - f(a) = f(x/a), so f(x) = f(x/a) + f(a), now take the limit as x->a. Note as x->a, x/a -> 1

Thank you, Dan. It makes so much sense now.

Related to Proving Continuity of a Function Using the Definition of Differentiability

1. What is the definition of differentiability on R?

Differentiability on R refers to the mathematical concept of a function being able to have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has a unique slope at every point.

2. How is differentiability different from continuity?

While continuity guarantees that a function has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph, differentiability goes a step further by ensuring that the function has a well-defined slope at every point. In other words, a function can be continuous but not differentiable, but every differentiable function is also continuous.

3. What are the conditions for a function to be differentiable on R?

A function must be continuous on a closed interval and have a defined derivative at every point within that interval in order to be differentiable on R. Additionally, the derivative must exist and be unique at every point in the interval.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a specific point but not on its entire domain?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at a specific point but not on its entire domain. This can occur if the function has a sharp turn or a non-removable discontinuity at a certain point. In this case, the function may have a derivative at that point, but not at other points in its domain.

5. What are the implications of a function being differentiable on R?

If a function is differentiable on R, it means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined slope at every point. This allows for the use of calculus and related concepts, such as optimization and rates of change, to analyze the behavior of the function. It also allows for the application of the Mean Value Theorem, which states that at some point in the interval, the instantaneous rate of change of the function will equal the average rate of change over the entire interval.

Back