Proving Convergence of a Sequence with Bounded and Decreasing Terms

In summary, the sequence defined by x_1=3 and x_{n+1}=\frac{1}{4-x_n} is bounded and decreasing, and therefore converges by the Monotone Convergence Theorem. By working backwards and solving for x_n, it can be shown that the sequence converges to 0. Therefore, the sequence defined by x_1=3 and x_{n+1}=\frac{1}{4-x_n} converges to 0.
cragar

Homework Statement

Prove that the sequence defined by [itex] x_1=3 [/itex]
and [itex] x_{n+1}= \frac{1}{4-x_n} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I found like the first 4 terms of this sequence and it seems to be decreasing, heading closer to 0. So this sequence is probably bounded and if it decreasing then it will converge.
If I solve for [itex] x_n [/itex] I get that
[itex] x_n=4- \frac{1}{x_{n+1}} [/itex]
So now we see from this that the biggest [itex] x_n [/itex] could be is 4, because it seems that all our numbers are positive. I might need to use that fact that its bounded and decreasing to show that it converges.

Physics news on Phys.org
By the Monotone Convergence Theorem, since our sequence is bounded and decreasing, it converges. Now I just need to prove that it converges to 0. If I use the definition of this sequence and work backwards, I get: x_2=4- \frac{1}{x_3}, x_3=4- \frac{1}{x_4}, x_4=4- \frac{1}{x_5}, and so on. If I substitute all of these into the formula for x_n, I get x_n=4- \frac{1}{4-x_{n+1}} So if I solve this equation for x_{n+1} I get x_{n+1}=\frac{1}{4-x_n} which is the same formula we started with, and this shows that our sequence converges to 0. Therefore, the sequence defined by x_1=3 and x_{n+1}= \frac{1}{4-x_n} converges to 0.

Related to Proving Convergence of a Sequence with Bounded and Decreasing Terms

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. It can be finite or infinite in length.

2. How do you prove a sequence?

To prove a sequence, you need to show that it follows a consistent pattern or rule. This can be done through various methods such as induction, direct proof, or contradiction.

3. What is the importance of proving a sequence?

Proving a sequence is important because it allows us to understand and predict patterns in numbers or objects. It also helps us to make accurate predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the sequence.

4. Can a sequence have more than one proof?

Yes, a sequence can have more than one proof. Different methods and approaches can be used to prove the same sequence. However, all proofs should lead to the same conclusion.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving a sequence?

One common mistake to avoid is assuming that a pattern will continue indefinitely without proper evidence. It is important to double-check and make sure that the chosen rule or method applies to all terms in the sequence.