Proving Convergence of a Sequence with Upper Bound of 2

In summary, the conversation discusses a sequence defined as x1 = root 2 and x(n+1) = root (2 * xn). The goal is to show that the sequence converges and find its limit. The Monotone Convergence Theorem is used to prove that the sequence increases and is bounded by root 2 and 2. The sequence is given in terms of n by a_n = 2^{ \frac{2^n - 1}{2^n}}, and it is shown to satisfy the recurrence relation. The limit is proved to be equal to 2 using the Monotone Convergence Theorem. The conversation also discusses how to use LaTeX code to format mathematical expressions.
lokisapocalypse
Hey guys,

I have a sequence, [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{2 \sqrt{2}}[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{2 \sqrt{2 \sqrt{2}}}[/tex], ...

Basically, the sequence is defined as x1 = root 2
x(n+1) = root (2 * xn).

I need to show that this sequence converges and find the limit.

I proved by induction that this sequence increases. Since it increases, its bounded below by root 2. I need to show that it is bounded above by 2. Then I can use the Monotone Convergence Theorem to show that this sequence converges.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the sequence is given in terms of n by

[tex]a_n = 2^{ \frac{2^n - 1}{2^n}}[/tex],

where the first term is given by [itex]a_1[/itex].

Show that it satisfies the recurrence relation.

--J

Thanks I got it from that. But can someone tell me how to do the root thing? Is the code LaTeX code or what is it?

Also, how can I prove the limit of that sequence = 2?

Is there some theorem that says that the limit of an increasing bounded sequence is equal to the sup of that sequence?

Oh nevermind about the limit part. It was proved in the book with the Monotone Convergence Theorem. I just didn't see it right away.

\sqrt{2 a_n} gives [itex]\sqrt{2a_n}[/itex].

--J

Okay I guess I am just stupid then. Where exactly do you type \sqrt{2 a_n} ? I thought it was to surround it by CODE tags but that didn't do it and I tried typing it just by itself, with and without the \. What do I do then?

[ tex ] \sqrt{2a_n}[ /tex ]
[tex]\sqrt{2a_n}[/tex]

and

[ itex ] \sqrt{2a_n}[ /itex ]
[itex] \sqrt{2a_n}[/itex]

Remove the spaces from the tags to get them to work.

--J

Okay got it. Thanks for all your help.

FAQ: Proving Convergence of a Sequence with Upper Bound of 2

What is meant by "prove the upper bound"?

Proving the upper bound refers to demonstrating that a certain value or limit is the maximum possible value for a given set of data or conditions. It is a way to show that there is a limit to how high a value can go.

What is the purpose of proving the upper bound?

The purpose of proving the upper bound is to provide a clear understanding of the maximum limit or value for a particular set of data. This can help to inform decision-making and guide further research or analysis.

How do you prove the upper bound?

To prove the upper bound, you must use mathematical or scientific methods to show that a certain value or limit is the highest possible value for a given set of data or conditions. This may involve using equations, data analysis, or other techniques.

What are some common techniques used to prove the upper bound?

Some common techniques used to prove the upper bound include mathematical induction, limits, and proof by contradiction. These methods involve using logic and mathematical principles to demonstrate that a certain value is indeed the upper bound.

Why is it important to prove the upper bound?

Proving the upper bound is important because it helps to provide a clear understanding of the limitations of a particular set of data or conditions. It can also help to guide further research and analysis by providing a basis for comparison. Additionally, proving the upper bound can help to prevent false conclusions or assumptions based on incomplete data.