Proving |det(1+A)|^2 >=1 by Diagonalizing iA: Linear Algebra Question

In summary: This has helped me a lot.In summary, diagonalising an anti-Hermitian matrix yields the eigenvalues and real entries of the hermitian conjugate.
N00813

Homework Statement

A is an anti-Hermitian matrix.
Show, by diagonalising iA, that:

|det(1+A)|^2 >=1

Homework Equations

A^H denotes hermitian conjugate of A; A^H = -A\

x = Ox' transforms vector components between 2 basis sets.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that iA is a Hermitian matrix, so it is diagonalisable.
But I'm not sure what the point of diagonalising iA is.

D = O^(-1)(iA)O
for diagonal matrix of eigenvalues D.

det(iA) = det(D).

I'm floundering around. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
N00813 said:

Homework Statement

A is an anti-Hermitian matrix.
Show, by diagonalising iA, that:

|det(1+A)|^2 >=1

Homework Equations

A^H denotes hermitian conjugate of A; A^H = -A\

x = Ox' transforms vector components between 2 basis sets.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that iA is a Hermitian matrix, so it is diagonalisable.
But I'm not sure what the point of diagonalising iA is.

D = O^(-1)(iA)O
for diagonal matrix of eigenvalues D.

Therefore [itex]A = O(-iD)O^{-1}[/itex].

Also the eigenvalues of [itex]iA[/itex] (and hence the entries of [itex]D[/itex]) are real.

Hint:
[tex]O^{-1}(I + A)^2O = O^{-1}(I + 2A + A^2)O \\
= O^{-1}(I + 2A + AOO^{-1}A)O[/tex]
and
[tex]
\det(O^{-1}(I + A)^2O) = \det ((I + A)^2)
[/tex]

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
Therefore [itex]A = O(-iD)O^{-1}[/itex].

Also the eigenvalues of [itex]iA[/itex] (and hence the entries of [itex]D[/itex]) are real.

Hint:
[tex]O^{-1}(I + A)^2O = O^{-1}(I + 2A + A^2)O \\
= O^{-1}(I + 2A + AOO^{-1}A)O[/tex]
and
[tex]
\det(O^{-1}(I + A)^2O) = \det ((I + A)^2)
[/tex]
I suppose the first equality equals:

[tex] O^{-1}(I + 2A + AOO^{-1}A)O = (I - 2iD - D^2) [/tex]

(This is the bit I'm a bit wonky on, particularly the 3rd equality. Is that part correct?)
Then [tex] |\det((I + A)^2)| = |\det(I - 2iD - D^2)| = |\det((I-iD)^2)|=|\det(I^2 + D^2)| >= det(I^2) = 1[/tex]
where

Last edited:
N00813 said:
I suppose the first equality equals:

[tex] O^{-1}(I + 2A + AOO^{-1}A)O = (I - 2iD - D^2) [/tex]

(This is the bit I'm a bit wonky on, particularly the 3rd equality. Is that part correct?)
Then [tex] |\det((I + A)^2)| = |\det(I - 2iD - D^2)| = |\det((I-iD)^2)|=|\det(I^2 + D^2)| \geq 1[/tex]

If you're not sure that the third equality holds (and it holds only if the eigenvalues of D are real), you should prove it. This will require calculating the quantity you are asked to show is at least 1, at which point you have answered the question.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
If you're not sure that the third equality holds (and it holds only if the eigenvalues of D are real), you should prove it. This will require calculating the quantity you are asked to show is at least 1, at which point you have answered the question.

I suppose, if the action of the complex conjugate is to change the sign of the i:
[tex] |\det((I-iD)^2)| = \det((I-iD) (\det(I-iD))^* = \det(I-iD)\det(I+iD) [/tex]

I suppose I can prove [tex] (\det(I-iD))^* = \det(I+iD) [/tex] using suffix notation definition for the determinant.

Thanks!

Related to Proving |det(1+A)|^2 >=1 by Diagonalizing iA: Linear Algebra Question

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and their properties.

2. What are the applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve problems involving linear systems, optimization, data analysis, and more.

3. What are the basic concepts in Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations. These concepts are essential in understanding and solving problems in this field.

4. How is Linear Algebra used in data science?

Linear Algebra is a fundamental tool in data science as it provides a way to represent and manipulate data in a structured manner. It is used in machine learning algorithms, data analysis, and data visualization, among others.

5. What are some resources for learning Linear Algebra?

There are many online and offline resources available for learning Linear Algebra, such as textbooks, lecture notes, video tutorials, and online courses. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. It is also helpful to practice problems and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.